Self portrait - organised chaos :)

moomike

TPer Emeritus
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a few hours spare yesterday and have realised that lockdown has got me doing some crazy self portraits :LOL:

Seriously cannot wait to get to get some actual models into the studio! This one represents how my mind goes when I get a new idea for an image :)

Shot at 32mm, f/8 and lit by 2 strip lights for edge light, one main light with large octabox camera right and just above eye level and one larger light behind for fill. 1/125, f/11 and ISO100 Processed in Capture 1 and Photoshop.

All of the tools were shot using the same light and then composited into the scene - I crazily almost tied them to the ceiling with string and tried to get it in one take, but thought better of it :)
Thanks for looking, hope everyone is safe and well.

kBFPKb9h.jpg

crazily almost tied them to the ceiling with string and tried to get it in one take, but thought better of it.

Heh, I like it. Reminds me of Halsmann's Dali Atomicus. I think that started out as an intention to blow up a duck. However without photoshop he had to use wire and assistants to hold stuff and throw cats. Illustrates the lengths we go to sometimes for an image.

Anyway, this has humour and made me smile today, so thanks for sharing.

Heh, I like it. Reminds me of Halsmann's Dali Atomicus. I think that started out as an intention to blow up a duck. However without photoshop he had to use wire and assistants to hold stuff and throw cats. Illustrates the lengths we go to sometimes for an image.

Anyway, this has humour and made me smile today, so thanks for sharing.

What awesome feedback, cheers mate (y)

Great shot, love the idea and processing. Only thing I'd have done differently is stuck to hand tools and left the drill out. That said I couldn't have produced the shot with or without the drill. Thanks for sharing.

I do love a composite and this one ticks all the boxes- great stuff Mike

Les :)

I don't usually like composites, but this one is excellent. It does a great job of conveying what is going on in the subjects mind, giving the impression that he can't wait to get started on his next project.

Great shot, love the idea and processing. Only thing I'd have done differently is stuck to hand tools and left the drill out. That said I couldn't have produced the shot with or without the drill. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback - I was toying with the idea of trying to photograph my table saw to put in the foreground but decided against it - maybe would have balanced it out a bit more if I had (y)

I do love a composite and this one ticks all the boxes- great stuff Mike

Les :)

Cheers Les, much appreciated (y)

I don't usually like composites, but this one is excellent. It does a great job of conveying what is going on in the subjects mind, giving the impression that he can't wait to get started on his next project.

Haha, definitely me that is, already got the next one planned :LOL: Cheers mate (y)

Only just seen this, resurrecting a post from a few months ago.
I really like it. I'm not a big fan of composites usually, I don't do many myself, but I really appreciate the effort that goes in.

I do have two thoughts though.
With regard to the scaling of the different tools, some are larger than others so if that was an effect of perspective, then for example, the pliers should be closer to the camera than the mallet, but the mallet overlaps the pliers.
Same with the plane, it's shown as being bigger than the drill but is slightly behind it.
Obviously that's logic being imposed on an artistic creation and as a whole image it does work.

The other slight thing is the eye-line. It's obviously difficult to pick one thing to look at when doing a self portrait with objects that will only be there after the composite, but I can't decide which object you are looking worried about.
The expression is good and that's a hard thing to accomplish in a self portrait.

It's really good work, it'll be interesting to see what other ideas you come up with.

Back