Critique Self Portrait

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

Last night I had a go at a self portrait. I used a black background with a Canon 6D, 24-105L. Lighting wise I used a 600EX-RT on top of the camera bounced from the roof and adding to the exposure and also a Speedlite 430EX ll on the floor pointing up towards me and at a 45 degree angle or so and I turned slightly towards it. Obviously the camera/flash were on a tripod. The original photograph was taken at 32mm and in landscape mode but I later cropped in and changed the photograph to landscape.

Self Portrait
by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Any critique would be gladly received.

Thanks

Stevie

Last edited:
I like it but something with the hands posed better would really improve it

I actually like this, although I'm on the iPad on a break in work at the mo, and I know things looks a bit out on the retina display so I'll have another nose when I get home.

Initial looks seems like the lighting is well balanced top to bottom and the clothing doesn't interfere with the background or vice versa. I suppose you could, if being picky note that the trousers are not clear due to the shade/lighting, but I quite like that style of photo.

Incidentally I've just bought a jacket like that :D

Thanks for all the comments. The dark navy trousers were a bit tricky to light I thought but I wanted to use a black background instead of a white like I would normally use. I might have cloned a piece around my hair wrong a bit alright - I did darken the background slightly in Photoshop after. I'll be able to open the .tiff file and have a look though as I put it on a separate layer. I see what you mean on the hands, I was holding the remote trigger in that hand. In a later attempt I used the other hand to hold it out of sight.

Glad to here I'm not the only person that has decided to buy a tweed jacket - not normally that sort of thing I would wear but my missus has been watching to much Downton Abbey!!

Thanks

Stevie

i would like you at 45 angle with your arms folded and not so happy looking lol

Sorry about that wooster - that's was purely my fault. My browser (Chrome) was still showing the photograph. I should have known the link would change when I edited the layer that was cropping out some of my hair in full size.

Thanks

Stevie

Last edited:
Thanks appreciate that but what about the photograph?!

This was the version without the jacket:

Self Portrait
by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Have you any when you are either - Directly looking down the barrel of the lens? It you seem a little distant as a subject to me (IMHO)
Have you tried any other ideas? Something a little more natural, perhaps even sitting down? Unless this must be a formal photo for something in particular.

I am impressed however with how well it has come out, my self portrait attempts have been dreadful in the past! They are definitely usable, I'm just giving my opinion :)

Thanks for the feedback - I was attempting to look down the lens whether for better or worse. I didn't try other poses at the time but having just got the outfit decided to try a slightly formal (or old fashioned if you like) shot to match the outfit. I'd like to try again at the some of the National Parks in the country at some stage.

Thanks again

Stevie

im not sure the one without the jacket works, it seems a little bright.

the first is good, well lit and sharp, i like the angle but i agree about the arms, i think you need to be holding something so your pose doesnt look as awkward?

MAYBE a carved walking stick or something along those lines as it looks to be that kind of shot.

cool photo :)

Funny I have a black thorn stick that my Granda gave me. A shotgun over one arms and presents in the other wound work either.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Stevie

You could give it another go with the shotgun (with the barrels open hung over your folded arm) and the stick in the other possibly?

it is kind of reminiscent of a portrait of say a fox hunter etc.

look forward to seeing the other one if you do it :)

I reckon the pose could be improved as mentioned. A bit of light on the head and shoulders from behind or the side to give separation from the background would really help

Back