Critique Self Portrait

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening All,

I rarely get the opportunity to post on the boards these days but wanted to share my latest effort with you. I've recently bought a Godox flash and trigger, some backdrops and stands as I want to learn to use flash. Today, I had a bit of spare time while my wife and kids were out so started practising by taking a self portrait. My set up was as follows:

I toyed with the idea of gridding the softbox but decided I'd move the softbox closer and further away to see the inverse square law in action. Secondly, I wanted to understand light fall off and it's relation between distance to subject and subject to background.

I placed myself about 3 foot away from the backdrop and under exposed the backdrop by one full f/stop, I understand this helps with backdrop and subject separation.

This is the result:

Any tips on how to improve will be gratefully taken on board.
James

There’s nothing particularly ’wrong’ with it. (Good first effort)

for a classic portrait look, the camera and light could do with being higher. A lower camera creates a dominant subject, etc.

If you want classic Rembrandt the light needs moving further round to the right.

There’s nothing particularly ’wrong’ with it. (Good first effort)

for a classic portrait look, the camera and light could do with being higher. A lower camera creates a dominant subject, etc.

If you want classic Rembrandt the light needs moving further round to the right.

Thanks Phil.

Back