Self portraits are hard

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
... especially with glasses.
1 4ft light (LED panel) @ ~ 1.5 ft and 1 reflector @ ~8" directly opposite (rt front/left rear), black BG ~ 5 ft behind. Taken w/ Nikon1 V2 because it was handy and I didn't need anything more. LR edits. CC welcomed.

22746542514_6d6511a139_z.jpg

_DSC4466-Edit.jpg
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Last edited:

I don't believe in you title at all with these from yourself!
You even succeeded sombre and sinister face and eyes
to prove me right!
Maybe a tad dark? NO WAY …as it is part of the scheme.

I think you failed to prove your title cause these are good!

Last edited:
Thanks.
I took about 5 pics to get these... trying to get into a decent pose between activating the camera's self timer and having no idea what I looked like (a mirror would have been a good idea...).

Steven, Yes its strange at first to take your own portraits ,but, if you cant do this how can you take anyone else's ? !!
So, a must-do exercise for any budding portrait snapper.

Your pictures seem a little strange in that there are areas of pixellated blocking / posterisation, almost as if they are q. low res files ??
Both are a little underexposed and flat and I believe you should also try to compose so that the eyeballs are not cut by the spectacles, although this is hard when posing yourself.
The first pose, slight head turn, slight raise of chin is preferable to the straight on of the second, perhaps a slightly higher camera angle be even better.

I can totally relate to it being hard doing self portraits, I hate them but made myself do a few on a 365 challenge couple of years back..
I think mega tantrums happened lol.

I do prefer the first here, slightly more light but also just looks a little more punchy with the contrast, plus I'm a suckered for black and white..:D

I can totally relate to it being hard doing self portraits, I hate them but made myself do a few on a 365 challenge couple of years back..

Let's see them then.

Let's see them then.

They are on my Flickr in T's 365... Bearing in mind being even more totally clueless than I still am no flash so just using lamps and whatever I could find... I couldn't post here they'd get ripped lol

Your pictures seem a little strange in that there are areas of pixellated blocking / posterisation, almost as if they are q. low res files ??
Both are a little underexposed and flat and I believe you should also try to compose so that the eyeballs are not cut by the spectacles, although this is hard when posing yourself.
The first pose, slight head turn, slight raise of chin is preferable to the straight on of the second, perhaps a slightly higher camera angle be even better.
Thank you.
The B&W was edited for a "grungy" type of look in LR... probably not the best software for it. And both are auto resized images from flick'r so they're even a bit "worse."
I'm not sure what you mean by "flat" unless it's that there's not much in either image above midtone... "dark/moody" was the goal/intent. Neither image was taken to be "flattering" (I used a 35mm equiv from ~ 4ft).

I think it would take me at least a dozen images to get a "perfect pose" w/o glasses reflections... I did the "square pose" intentionally as I thought it might feel more "confrontational."

One thing I re-learned is when taking dark images it's better to bring the exposure down in post as opposed to record them dark... I always try to capture them as I want them, but when it's a dark image that doesn't leave you much of any room in post.

Last edited:
They are on my Flickr in T's 365... Bearing in mind being even more totally clueless than I still am no flash so just using lamps and whatever I could find... I couldn't post here they'd get ripped lol

Link please.

Thank you.
The B&W was edited for a "grungy" type of look in LR... probably not the best software for it. And both are auto resized images from flick'r so they're even a bit "worse."
I'm not sure what you mean by "flat" unless it's that there's not much in either image above midtone... "dark/moody" was the goal/intent. Neither image was taken to be "flattering" (I used a 35mm equiv from ~ 4ft).

I think it would take me at least a dozen images to get a "perfect pose" w/o glasses reflections... I did the "square pose" intentionally as I thought it might feel more "confrontational."

OK Steven,
I use LR and I don't use effects there so I didnt think you did deliberately but you've cleared that up.
If you have Canon you can use LiveView to line up.
"For studio photographers, Live View mode can be used with an external monitor or EOS Utility."

OK Steven,
I use LR and I don't use effects there so I didnt think you did deliberately but you've cleared that up.
If you have Canon you can use LiveView to line up.
"For studio photographers, Live View mode can be used with an external monitor or EOS Utility."
Another great idea... I could have tethered the camera if I had used one of my DSLR's.

... especially with glasses.
1 4ft light (LED panel) @ ~ 1.5 ft and 1 reflector @ ~8" directly opposite (rt front/left rear), black BG ~ 5 ft behind. Taken w/ Nikon1 V2 because it was handy and I didn't need anything more. LR edits. CC welcomed.

22746542514_6d6511a139_z.jpg

22746544894_3d8c6499ea_z.jpg

I most like the one you've picked as your avatar; the second one above is just too dark for me.

I've looked. They won't. You will get feedback, and you will need to be prepared for it, but it's worth having.

I've looked. They won't. You will get feedback, and you will need to be prepared for it, but it's worth having.

Thank you Simon, I can totally handle feedback, I know I took them with no real clue as to what I was doing and literally just what I could find around me.
I hate saying I have no equipment but maybe I need to actually hear and ask a bit more and I'd understand more now. :)

I like them but I prefer 2. Think it's because the eye is the draw, in the first one its a great shot of a hat and a chin, you need to search out the eyes from the shade. Whatever it is, nice excersise and I think 2 is full of atmosphere

I remember them being pretty good to be honest

with regard to the OP the first one is a great shot - the eyes are maybe a little darrk but thats minor - the second one is no longer displaying

Last edited:
cool - i prefer the first one, not so keen on the facial expression in the second one although its fine photographically speaking

These are very well done IMO. I have tried and failed miserably at this. I look like a deranged person with a rabbit caught in headlights expression. Some would say the former is how I usually look...

The first I like for the pose, and the fact it doesn't look staged or indeed like a self portrait. You could be anywhere, outside, inside, no clue in the shot to the surroundings or lack thereof.

The second I like for the processing, the colour adds something (not quite sure what or why).

Back