Self portraits

Looking on the iPad the White balance looks a bit off, but sometimes I do that for a feel I'm going for
The reflection in the glasses could be avoided by moving the light source but again you might like that.
It's always hard getting willing victims to model, but they are out there. I've shot a few charity gigs, both to practice, and to help out so its win win
Street photography working with natural light is great fun too, makes you think about the light and background as well as the technical side
Looks like you're having fun, so just keep on down the path of learning from your mistakes and others inspiration

First 2 are quite blue toned, but maybe thats intentional. I like all of them. Lots of fun - great hair by the way.

I have done self portraits too - so much easier than trying to find someone to model for you just when you get an idea... but a real pain if you have to go round the back of the camera each time to check how its all progressing :)

Yeah they're not bad. Skin tones are off and vary between shots which for me at least, is a big no-no.

I watched this vid the other day and really liked it. Might give you some ideas on retouching your own head shots...

is that really you or a copy of some shot you saw elsewhere with you in it
i am a bit old fashioned and like to think of a portrait as mainly head..with some shoulders and perhaps even down to waist with hands...
you are a mad scientist in one of them
:D
cheers
geof

Fab stuff! You've got a lot of talent and creativity I can see! :)

16577832332_62af3acd43_b.jpg

Latest one

Hiya

Not been on here for a while, just looking on my phone so I thought I'd post a few of my thoughts. Feel free to ignore them as it just my opinion!

Like the first one, I'd lose the R and take a bit of care with light positioning with regards to the reflection in your specs (your right eye is fine but because your head is slightly tilted to your right, you can see the reflection of the light in the left spectacle glass)

Two doesn't appeal to me, but that's my tastes and not a reflection of the quality of the pic.

Three - not usually a fan of spot colour on mono pics but I think it works because of the brush. I think, to my tastes, I'd prefer this pic if the brush wasn't so central in the frame. Maybe recomposed with a bit more of your shoulder and elbow. Easier said than done on a self portrait I know!!

I like where you're going with these and hope to see more of your work

Shaheed

Edit looking at the images from post 7 onwards.

Last edited:
The second to last two are 100% better than the previous 4.

The one of you on the bed is a good gritty image and well lit.

The colour one you look kind of uncomfortable with your neck angled as it is - your Adams apple kind of distracts away form your face - i'd be inclined to crop this heavily from just below your chin and right at the very top of you hair line with no white above your head.

The last shot I'm not sure about, if you're going to do a selective colour those blue eyes need to stand out

i think you are mad...!!

:D

the latest ones are much better than the first ones. And i feel your pain about models not always easy. You've still not nailed the lighitn with regards to the reflection from light. It can be done take your time and adjust the flashes. I like the idea of the brush across the face but i can't work out why you aren't looking at the brush or the camera. Keep em coming though

I'm surprised no ones mentioned this yet, but... While the images are good....

What are you building the portfolio for? If it's to try and get work or a uni place or something, then people will wonder why you have a portfolio of self-portraits. Can you not ask others to model for you? If portraits are what you want, you don't need "models", you just need interesting people. You run the danger of anyone viewing the folio thinking you're just too shy to even ask anyone. That doesn't bode well, as a portrait photographer too shy to talk to people will simply find the job very difficult.

As a folio you need much more diversity.

Last edited:
I assumed he was building up different techniques and practising until he was confident in his ability to shoot other people. What better person to try things out on than yourself. Granted you wouldn't have a portfolio of just selfies.

I enjoyed viewing all of them and some are much better than the others. The one sitting on the bed is a great shot and the colour one before that too. Lots of creativity, but you really should be widening your horizons and practising on others. I for one would look forward to seeing those.

The bed shot is nice, I think it's the texture I like. I checked out your FB page (tgphotographyUK) where there are some additional shots with some models/friends. I think it's worth bearing in mind that it's difficult for an amateur to direct an amateur model. I was wondering how your style would work with more candid, natural light shots. Maybe get your model to eat an ice cream, read a book or something to put them in a natural pose. Think also of putting down the big zoom & shooting with your 50mm. If you are closer, it can be easier to direct & relate to the model.

Last edited:
Like it looks good to me. Don't have to be razor sharp, does not appear wrong in any way, as a natural feel to it.

Gaz

Back