Sending photos out on spec

Chris141h

Suspended / Banned
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I've just got my national league pass thanks to some help from kipax and a few others so thanks a lot for that.

As I'm new to sending photos out without an agency etc obviously I'll have to send my details with the photos and only to be used if paid etc, but was wondering whether you guys watermark your photographs too before you send them out or not?
I will be sending some during the game so was wondering if there's an easy way to watermark them during play?

Thanks and sorry if it seems an obvious couple of questions,

Chris

Think about it.. Your sending live pics of the game.. its all about speed.. hence why you see photogrpahers sending pics straight after a goal scored... can be first come first gets printed a lot of the time...... how would watermaked pics be used with the paper.. would they have to email you back asking for non watermarked before they could use them.. whats the point of all that ?... this is live sport :)

Also nobody reads your emails.. all the pictures go into the system and they search the iptc fields to find the pic they want and use... if its watermarked its useless..

So send the pic around 1 to 1.5mb in size.. (I go for 2500 pixels longest edge and save as JPG (10) )

Have all your bank details in the fields as well as all the usualy info and thats it :)

You need to embed your details into the photo IPTC.

If you are under a time limit as Kipax has said don't watermark.

If you are not under time restriction you can and I do send a reduced size pic with a watermark "my email to request hi rez copy". That way your photo will not appear on newspaper websites and in their papers without your knowledge. They used to do it to me all the time.

Football is nearly always time restricted but make sure they know you don't do free and a reproduction fee is payable on publication.

If you are not under time restriction you can and I do send a reduced size pic with a watermark "my email to request hi rez copy". That way your photo will not appear on newspaper websites and in their papers without your knowledge. They used to do it to me all the time.

have you done this? Do you knwo anyone who has done thins and it works...

Think about it.. Your sending live pics of the game.. its all about speed.. hence why you see photogrpahers sending pics straight after a goal scored... can be first come first gets printed a lot of the time...... how would watermaked pics be used with the paper.. would they have to email you back asking for non watermarked before they could use them.. whats the point of all that ?... this is live sport :)

Also nobody reads your emails.. all the pictures go into the system and they search the iptc fields to find the pic they want and use... if its watermarked its useless..

So send the pic around 1 to 1.5mb in size.. (I go for 2500 pixels longest edge and save as JPG (10) )

Have all your bank details in the fields as well as all the usualy info and thats it :)

Thanks kipax, I was hoping it wouldn't be watermarked as it would take quite a while to get the photo watermarked, so thanks a lot for that, I'll have to get quick at filling in the iptc fields is there a way to do this quickly or is it just experience?
Chris

Thanks kipax, I was hoping it wouldn't be watermarked as it would take quite a while to get the photo watermarked, so thanks a lot for that, I'll have to get quick at filling in the iptc fields is there a way to do this quickly or is it just experience?
Chris

like owt else.. practice practice...use photomechanic and code replacements... setting your own workflow that gets the job done quicker for you...

like owt else.. practice practice...use photomechanic and code replacements... setting your own workflow that gets the job done quicker for you...

Thanks in the iptc how would you write it out for example a goal in a game say smith scoring for Rochdale? Would you include in the iptc would you include a price for the photo or would you say to be paid at the papers standard rate?

Rough template..replace red info :)

INFO ABOUT THE PICTURE
during the LEAGUE INFO Football match between TEAM A and TEAM B at the STADIUM, TOWN on the DATE . LICENCE AGREEMENT NUMBER Self billing applies where appropriate PHONE NUMBER EMAIL NO UNPAID USE BACS payments to Royal Bank Scotland (****** Branch) Account No. ****** Sort Code ******

have you done this? Do you knwo anyone who has done thins and it works...

Yes I do it. It works for me.

I don't do it with football. I would if it was not time contricted.

I used to send un-watermarked to encourge use.It did that alright as I was finding my photos on websites and in newspapers without my knowledge.

I then had to chase the money and I had told them at the time if you use you must pay.

Thanks in the iptc how would you write it out for example a goal in a game say smith scoring for Rochdale? Would you include in the iptc would you include a price for the photo or would you say to be paid at the papers standard rate?

Don't say standard rate. Their standard rate might be for free.

Just make sure that you don't do free. It's up to you how you do that.

Rough template..replace red info :)

INFO ABOUT THE PICTURE
during the LEAGUE INFO Football match between TEAM A and TEAM B at the STADIUM, TOWN on the DATE . LICENCE AGREEMENT NUMBER Self billing applies where appropriate PHONE NUMBER EMAIL NO UNPAID USE BACS payments to Royal Bank Scotland (****** Branch) Account No. ****** Sort Code ******

Thanks a lot I'll try to get something where I can maybe slightly automate my process to make it nice and quick for sending photos out. Thank you

INFO ABOUT THE PICTURE during the LEAGUE INFO Football match between TEAM A and TEAM B at the STADIUM, TOWN on the DATE . LICENCE AGREEMENT NUMBER Self billing applies where appropriate PHONE NUMBER EMAIL NO UNPAID USE BACS payments to Royal Bank Scotland (****** Branch) Account No. ****** Sort Code ******

I am in a similar situation as Chris141h with first year with National league license on the journey up the leagues and find this is very useful... i have been using the IPTC in photo mechanic for a year or so in the much lower leagues. Just a quick question re the above...

Would you put all of that info in the description/caption field so its there in one place for ease of them seeing; or split it up so my contact details are in the contact details fields and payments in the 'special instructions' field say?

I am in a similar situation as Chris141h with first year with National league license on the journey up the leagues and find this is very useful... i have been using the IPTC in photo mechanic for a year or so in the much lower leagues. Just a quick question re the above...

Would you put all of that info in the description/caption field so its there in one place for ease of them seeing; or split it up so my contact details are in the contact details fields and payments in the 'special instructions' field say?

Both.. I put all in the caption as above and repeat in approriate other fields... I AM NOT STATING THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT.. I am only stating thats how I do it and I get published in nationals so it must work...:)

PS the above is for Nationals.. If I am sending to regional/local papers then its the same but just after NO UNPAID USE. I add NO SYNDICATION .. Both in caps :)

Chris

About 1 second actually. All you do is create a preset in Lightroom that includes a watermark (you create this graphic in photoshop) for exporting an image. Then you just select export -> preset and email it. Likewise you can make different presets for all the IPTC fields to save you time.

I'm not in this game of sports but the rest is the same.

Both.. I put all in the caption as above and repeat in approriate other fields... I AM NOT STATING THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT.. I am only stating thats how I do it and I get published in nationals so it must work...:)

Thanks Kipax

Back