sensor cleaning

Edit My Images
Yes
i need to clean my sensor and was wandering if it would be safe to use the cleaning pads we use at work. they are for cleaning medical equipment and are lint free alco wipes. anybody know if 70% Isopropyl alcohol, which the pads are soaked in, will damage the sensor. i dont want to bu**er it up!

I dunno what they are made of etc, but I would personally say no no and thrice no.

Just on the offchance :)

I'd say no as well but knowing me I might be tempted to try. You could try cleaning a glass filter to help make up your mind. I practiced on one before I tried the copperhill method on the camera. You are looking to make a single swipe that leaves no residue and no dust of course. Good practice even if you do give up on cheapskating and buy the right stuff ;)

When you clean the sensor, you are actually cleaning the glass plate that covers it, not the sensor itself so the worst that could happen (unless you are really hamfisted) is that you leave a residue on the glass which you will have to take off with some proprietary fluid like eclipse. All lens/sensor cleaning fluids are mostly Isopropyl Alcohol.

Be careful, that's all - the pads are more of an issue - you may leave more cr*p behind than you take off.

Photographing the Red Kites in Wales, I discovered just how badly both my cameras need the sensors cleaning.

Aye I'd personally say no. For the 15 quid or so it costs to get the Pecpads and Eclipse, it's not worth the hassle of not going down the correct route, just for piece of mind, and to be sure.

I'd rather spend the 15 quid on the proper stuff personally, rather than risk it for a biscuit, as they say :D

Much as though I hate to admit it, and I wouldn't suggest anybody does this, but I had a bit of a fiddle the other day in the name of science with some post-it notes.

Got all the grot off my sensor and left no residue at all. 3M use some crazy adhesive that means you can stick them to anything and the glue stays on the paper.

Generaly, I'm not scared to try stuff like this. At worst it would've meant having to do a proper sensor clean with isopropyl.

Technofear?

Not I sir, next week I'm going to try parrafin or something ;)

Back