Several from the front garden

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
These almost make me want to re think my foray into macro work :)

Having taken a few this week almost by happy accident after spotting something I wasn't familiar with and kind of getting the bug so to speak, I kind of realise after looking at these that I'm not gonna get anything on a par with what I'm using.

I'm not competitive with photography, but when I see things done really well anything less on my part becomes unsatisfactory. Yes, I might have processed them to my own taste, and it has also become very obvious after looking at these that lighting plays a big part when shooting flies and smaller.

Lighting probably would have improved most of the pictures I took of many of the insect subjects I've been shooting this week. I'm shooting humans today and tomorrow, and then we'll see how we get on with a 600w high speed location head with a small octabox attached :)

You have some great shots here, something to aspire to.

regards

Tim

Thanks Tim. I think we probably all have people whose work we can aspire too - I know I do: for example Brian Valentine (LordV), Mark Berkery (macromeds), Kurt (orionmystery), ThomasShahan, John Kimbler (Dalantech).

Kit obviously matters, but not always in the way people think. What works best varies from person to person and can vary over time and depending on subject matter. The same with capture technique and post processing. We each have to find our own way through the maze of possibilities and opportunities.

Like some (and possibly many) others here I have experimented a lot with illumination (and that includes natural light as well as artificial illumination). I expect you have looked at the Show us your macro rig thread and seen the variety of approaches shown there. I think controlled/enhanced illumination can make a big difference to the look of images.

Back