Several Monochrome Buildings & Streets

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
I've got a bit of a preference for shooting landscapes but sometimes when the weather / light isn't good I find it can be a bit frustrating when you're wanting to go out with the camera, so after recently watching some youtube videos suggesting that black & white images are good for when the light's not great I decided to venture out into Leeds City Centre one Saturday morning to give it a try.

Leeds Eastgate Monochrome by DB 72, on Flickr

Leeds Architecture by DB 72, on Flickr

Monochrome Facade by DB 72, on Flickr

Monochrome Street by DB 72, on Flickr

And after enjoying it I decided to try re-processing some similar older images into black & white to see how they looked....

Leeds Waterfront BW by DB 72, on Flickr

Canal Monochrome by DB 72, on Flickr

Black Prince Statue, Leeds City Square. by DB 72, on Flickr

Cottingley Monochrome by DB 72, on Flickr

A good range of tones throughout.
Loving the verticals and framing in 1.
Watch out for the halo effect in some of these though (noticeable in the verticals at times).

I do not prescribe to the poor light mono theory myself. Many of these must have had good light.

Nice work I like them

I do not prescribe to the poor light mono theory myself. Many of these must have had good light.

Nice work I like them
No such thing as poor light. Bright directional light is good for some subjects, dull diffuse light is good for others. Colour or monochrome makes little difference.

That said, I like these pictures. The light was obviously good for the subjects.

No such thing as poor light. Bright directional light is good for some subjects, dull diffuse light is good for others. Colour or monochrome makes little difference.

That said, I like these pictures. The light was obviously good for the subjects.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post in that when I said "weather / light isn't good" I meant bad for shooting landscapes (which is my preference but sometimes not suited to the light... ie. high sun or overcast). As in shots 1 and 4 where the sky is a bit flat. Whereas shots 5, 6, 7 & 8 were older shots taken at night but I wanted to see if I could get more out of them by using monochrome.

A good range of tones throughout.
Loving the verticals and framing in 1.
Watch out for the halo effect in some of these though (noticeable in the verticals at times).

Well spotted..... I hadn't really noticed that but I did have to push the post processing a bit to try get better contrast.

Back