Wales Severn Bridge photo spots

Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to be driving from London to Cardiff at the end on August. The recommended route seems to be over the new M4 (as suppose to the older M48 which actually has a service station near by and parking).

I will have about 1 hour to make a pit stop and take photographs. As this will be in the evening it'll nice to either catch the golden hour or after dark long exposure of the bridge.
To me Servern beach seems to be a decent spot to photograph from. But is there any parking nearby? (paid or free is fine)

I can't move around a lot since I only have about an hour. So I'd like to park nearby pick a good spot and photograph from there. So any good spots that would fit my purpose?

There are plenty of places to park at Severn Beach so you will easily find something, however there is a little place you can pull in quite close to the underside of the 2nd Severn Crossing, it's almost at the end of Shaft Road (see map below). Almost at the end of the road there is a gateway on the left with a pull-in just before the gate, for the length of time you will be there and assuming nobody has decided to go at the same time, you should be fine.

capture2.jpg

For the New Severn Bridge, Severn Beach is a good spot and there is plenty of parking as it is a residential area . For the old Severn bridge Aust Cliff and Beach is a possible location.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...d5b75c0d7f96f3f!8m2!3d51.6036366!4d-2.6288699

Its a bit of a walk along a concrete slab roadway and then on to a Stone/pebble beach, The road used to be the way down the ferry crossing and you can still see some of the wooden pier structure but is a muddy area .

Thank you both for the tips :)

Which would be a better spot to photography from? (by which I mean more quiet and quick to access)
I suppose I can go to either bridge but I can't cover both in the given time.

Thank you both for the tips :)

Which would be a better spot to photography from? (by which I mean more quiet and quick to access)
I suppose I can go to either bridge but I can't cover both in the given time.

Personally for the time available I would say the new bridge ... if you park at the end of Shaft Road you will be practically under the bridge and can walk in either direction to chose how you want to photograph the bridge, you would be unlikely to see many or any people there, whereas closer to Beach Road, there will be people.

I would agree with gramps, the new bridge is an easier option.

Hmmm... interesting to get to Severn beach I actually need to go towards the old bridge and take a left just before the bridge. Then to carry on to Cardiff looks like its better to use the old bridge again.

but if I don't want to stop over, then it seems its best to go over new bridge. Why does this have to be so complicated :p

Anyway thanks for info, things are much clearer now :)

Ok now I am thinking slightly differently... anywhere I can park up for free for a night around the area?
I can simply sleep in the back of my car, use the motorway services and drive to Cardiff in the morning. Would save a nice amount ££ too...

Any ideas guys? :D

Ok now I am thinking slightly differently... anywhere I can park up for free for a night around the area?
I can simply sleep in the back of my car, use the motorway services and drive to Cardiff in the morning. Would save a nice amount ££ too...

Any ideas guys? :D

The things photographers do for a good photo!!

This is hardly touches the some of the things I have done to get a good photo :D

Back