Critique Sex is love in the natural world.

Oooh, almost but not quite. I've been doing this kind of photography myself for a while now and it's not easy. To see, let alone frame a mating pair is an achievement in itself and you've almost got it. Being hand held, the odds are against you and I think it shows here. The damsels are soft, but don't take that harshly, it's going to happen handheld. Nailing one is just as much about luck as anything else too as you are working at shallow levels of DOF as well and the slightest breeze can knock your subject out of focus. Sharpness is everything with wildlife as far as your subject is concerned and it is much easier to achieve with side on shots like this and recognising that like you have is step towards achieving those keepers. My hit rate is about 1 in 10, on a good day.

I use a monopod at least but if it's a still, cool day, you can get away with a tripod as insects tend to be less active on cool days. Wind can be a pain at these levels of DOF too. The faster the shutter speed, the better.

I find this an encouraging image (y), despite it being soft where it needs to be sharp butjust keep trying. Even experienced pros don't get this right everytime.

:agree: If its an insect or animal (Humans included) they are a bugger to photograph, take up landscape instead ;);):D

Oooh, almost but not quite. I've been doing this kind of photography myself for a while now and it's not easy. To see, let alone frame a mating pair is an achievement in itself and you've almost got it. Being hand held, the odds are against you and I think it shows here. The damsels are soft, but don't take that harshly, it's going to happen handheld. Nailing one is just as much about luck as anything else too as you are working at shallow levels of DOF as well and the slightest breeze can knock your subject out of focus. Sharpness is everything with wildlife as far as your subject is concerned and it is much easier to achieve with side on shots like this and recognising that like you have is step towards achieving those keepers. My hit rate is about 1 in 10, on a good day.

I use a monopod at least but if it's a still, cool day, you can get away with a tripod as insects tend to be less active on cool days. Wind can be a pain at these levels of DOF too. The faster the shutter speed, the better.

I find this an encouraging image (y), despite it being soft where it needs to be sharp butjust keep trying. Even experienced pros don't get this right everytime.

Belter of a post bro !!!!!

Richard if you really want crit pop up your techs this is so important. for a guy giving crit whom has experience.. I'm with Dale the image is not sharp,but there is a rake of promise in it for you as a tog. Lovely bkg great separation between subject and bkg. cool framing,although your name messes with the wing and me. Beyond this I defer to Dale's post because he simply knows more about this type of subject.

Rich I cannot stress how +ve this image is,even though not sharp this might be the bit you'll focus on,but don't see it as negative use it as a tool to push you forwards.

go get it mate

stu

Belter of a post bro !!!!!

Richard if you really want crit pop up your techs this is so important. for a guy giving crit whom has experience.. I'm with Dale the image is not sharp,but there is a rake of promise in it for you as a tog. Lovely bkg great separation between subject and bkg. cool framing,although your name messes with the wing and me. Beyond this I defer to Dale's post because he simply knows more about this type of subject.

Rich I cannot stress how +ve this image is,even though not sharp this might be the bit you'll focus on,but don't see it as negative use it as a tool to push you forwards.

go get it mate

stu
"this"
I totally agree with you, we all started somewhere, needed the help (crit) and improved, me, I'm not totally happy with most of my shots but I do understand most things needed to make a great shot, I made and still make errors but that's just me. Keep pushing yourself and you will get there.

"this"
I totally agree with you, we all started somewhere, needed the help (crit) and improved, me, I'm not totally happy with most of my shots but I do understand most things needed to make a great shot, I made and still make errors but that's just me. Keep pushing yourself and you will get there.

Graham,yours is a fair point to make,especially to newer folks,we all make errors with me it is huge gaffs. I don't think i'm other than a guy learning the ropes myself. what i'm finding is that with time the gaffs become fewer the percentage of nearlies gets higher,but those classic errors and still there!! I'm utterly sure, if, in the next few years I do get any better at this, the one thing that won't change is those errors will never completely go away.

To me the consumate wildlife tog is able to react in tenths of of a second to an unexpected situation and nail it. that small sentence doesn't give any indecation of just how long and hard that guy worked to be that good

so oft we get one chance in wildlife,I feel it is really important for newer folks to realise how hard this is and that we are all making mistake . It's important I feel because some might get dispondent at first when they don't get quite what they want from the off,but we all have been there

Graham,yours is a fair point to make,especially to newer folks,we all make errors with me it is huge gaffs. I don't think i'm other than a guy learning the ropes myself. what i'm finding is that with time the gaffs become fewer the percentage of nearlies gets higher,but those classic errors and still there!! I'm utterly sure, if, in the next few years I do get any better at this, the one thing that won't change is those errors will never completely go away.

To me the consumate wildlife tog is able to react in tenths of of a second to an unexpected situation and nail it. that small sentence doesn't give any indecation of just how long and hard that guy worked to be that good

so oft we get one chance in wildlife,I feel it is really important for newer folks to realise how hard this is and that we are all making mistake . It's important I feel because some might get dispondent at first when they don't get quite what they want from the off,but we all have been there
Lots and lots of patience too, one thing I dont have.

Thanks for the feedback :). To be honest we stopped on the way down south and just through id give the new 50mm a try but had the Sigma 70-300mm in my bag because I thought I might see some deers. My partner just happened to spot the damselflies so thought Id take a punt. There are a "few" other shots attempted of this pair and another couple but this one was the best.

I agree with what Dale said - he's covered what has not gone so well re focus but in respect of framing / background it shows great promise. My hit rate for shots like this is massively variable but 1 in 10 would be a good day out for me. One thing I would say is to experiment with different ways of supporting the camera. I absolutely cannot work macro with a tripod (and believe me - I have tried!) and tbh I find monopods to be a bit of a pain in the bum too. I much prefer just handheld but if I can brace my arm against a tree / the floor / my own knee etc then that is helpful. Body position is also key for me - it can be tricky when you are contorting yourself to get good framing but sitting / lying / kneeling is a lot more stable than crouching / bending over. I know this seems quite obvious but I have often found myself in the most ridiculous position with no support - which is never going to work out well. You get a few funny looks when lying in a bush but it can be worth it!

Back