Shackled!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I suppose it must have some beneficial purpose but it is irritating ... I wonder if the birds think the same :thinking:

Avocet.jpg

Moved to Talk Nature for comment rather than critique :)

Last edited:

I know that these tags are necessary but they don't
contribute visually to a great shot!

you could always clone them out

stan
Indeed, I suppose my point is in wondering why a great yellow flag on its leg is necessary ... maybe should have gone in 'Talk Nature'.

Indeed, I suppose my point is in wondering why a great yellow flag on its leg is necessary ... maybe should have gone in 'Talk Nature'.
Just so it can be i.d from a distance to track its movements, the metal rings are only of use if the bird is found dead, exhausted or trapped.
It is valuable data for science but I totally agree it's not pretty.

Just so it can be i.d from a distance to track its movements, the metal rings are only of use if the bird is found dead, exhausted or trapped.
It is valuable data for science but I totally agree it's not pretty.
I can understand the importance in something like the Great Crane Project but the reasoning behind this sort of very visual marking of something like an Avocet evades me.
'AC' seems to indicate it may have originated in the Solent from a bit of Googling.

I really, REALLY want the right tag to read "DC", if only to be able to call the Avocet "Angus the Duck(walker)"!

Boom, boom! :D

Almost as good as the lady in the Kingfisher Hide yesterday, "Oh look, they're mating! ... Is that a male and a female then?"! :banghead:
Nah most Avocets are gay storks bring them their babies,can't beleive there might be confusion everyone knows that. (Oh I have no probs with folks being different to me just a sense of humour just in case:rolleyes:)
AC ...Avocet" Colin" by chance?? :D

Roger serious head on Leg rings are a PITA ,I do feel they serve a data procuring purpose,but have delt with so many issues caused by rings I have a deep distrust of them: rings slipping over feet, caught in fences, getting suck where they shouldn't, leading to crap circulation and limb loss/death all experienced first hand . They are alright when they are alright but they do get caught up. I'd much prefer a chip system to be used on wild birds mate,maybe cost is prohibitive My view has come from mainly captive birds and dealing with fallout,so I guess I carry baggage .The thought of an Avocet getting hung up, however remote a possibility, and dying a slow lingering death ,is always going to bother someone like me mate,because of what I have seen first hand

As a guy that might want a make an image they are very unappealing,but it's the bird's living with a ring on and the risk facet that is my gripe,seen probs too man times bro...UGG

Lovely image mate !!

Stu

Leg rings are a PITA ,I do feel they serve a data procuring purpose,but have delt with so many issues caused by rings I have a deep distrust of them: rings slipping over feet, caught in fences, getting suck where they shouldn't, leading to crap circulation and limb loss/death all experienced first hand . They are alright when they are alright but they do get caught up. I'd much prefer a chip system to be used on wild birds mate,maybe cost is prohibitive My view has come from mainly captive birds and dealing with fallout,so I guess I carry baggage .The thought of an Avocet getting hung up, however remote a possibility, and dying a slow lingering death ,is always going to bother someone like me mate,because of what I have seen first hand

As a guy that might want a make an image they are very unappealing,but it's the bird's living with a ring on and the risk facet that is my gripe,seen probs too man times bro...UGG

Lovely image mate !!

Stu

Yes I think it's all overdone Stu, there maybe some statistical benefit but just too much human interference in my mind.

Yes I think it's all overdone Stu, there maybe some statistical benefit but just too much human interference in my mind.
I't so difficult mate we are loosing species all ways and have massive declines going on.Science and greater knowledge allows us to help address situations to benefit those species struggling,but leg rings I know and care not for!! How much we interfere is another debate,and there my friend I am very unsure on what is the best way forwards for our little mates. We need to know what is the cause of a decline need to monitor situations,but all the time we are adding potential stress/ors to the very subject trying to be helped
Very very unsure there mate

stu

I't so difficult mate we are loosing species all ways and have massive declines going on.Science and greater knowledge allows us to help address situations to benefit those species struggling,but leg rings I know and care not for!! How much we interfere is another debate,and there my friend I am very unsure on what is the best way forwards for our little mates. We need to know what is the cause of a decline need to monitor situations,but all the time we are adding potential stress/ors to the very subject trying to be helped
Very very unsure there mate

stu
Problem is Stu 'we' are just recording statistics ... 'we' all know why species are failing but 'we' are unwilling to make the changes that would benefit them but affect 'our' lifestyle and disposable income adversely.

Problem is Stu 'we' are just recording statistics ... 'we' all know why species are failing but 'we' are unwilling to make the changes that would benefit them but affect 'our' lifestyle and disposable income adversely.
Maybe not always,we do need science to qualify the why's sometimes Roger. We only knew fairly recently what is causing the biggest decline since the dinosaurs in amphibians ,for example science does have a role to play.

That said there is a hell of a lot of sense in the statement you have made ,a hell of a lot. How many of us are pondering our population and actually saying I'll only have one child,it'll never happen bro!! No more than we'll all pay extra for organic grub,just so we don't have all these chemicals being chucked in the environment .
don't matter which way we cut it mate,we won't learn until nature makes us,by that time it may well be too late.

hey ho buddy all a bit doom and gloom

stu

I get angry when i get plastic rubbish all over my shots, happens all the time when i take picture of seal pups which go into shelter bits that seems to gather all the rubbish of the sea :-/.
But honestly a tag on a leg has never bother me. It can actually be interesting to go online and find what it is all about if you manage to read number or color coding. On the whole it doesn't waist my hobbyist photography! I much prefer that scientific research make advances with tagging/tracking into better understanding and/or conservation that it bother me getting the perfect shot (without a tag)!

To many ringers now, who see it as a power trip,some see it as a trophy , some birds especialy were data is needed is fine .
But when you see garden birds full of them,thats when i wonder why,what is it we dont know about them ,that we dont already know .
Dont get me wrong here i am not against ringing birds for data, were needed,,,,,,but putting nets up to just see what they can catch in it ,and brag they ringed a certain bird last year blah ,blah blah,i pesonaly can't be doing with it ,90% of it is not needed ,its only because they can do it that they do,.....I witnessed something last year that as got my back up from the day he did it,....
The story is this ....A so called well known ringer in my county decided to go in to photography,he bought all the gear ...a 600mm and a 1dx and because he as a schedule 1 he used that to his advantage on a kingfisher nest ,the schedule 1 is site selective only of which he never aplied for that this specific site ,again he is above everyone else because he is a ringer and considred a expert,what harm will he do,well i will tell what harm he did(IMPO) he took the chicks out of the nest after they were 24 days old ,and take it from me thats how old they were ,he then put rings on them ,took a picture of the birds rung ,took a pic of nest posted on his facebook page as if to show off...realy got my back he wasn't happy just photographing the male and female he had to disturb the nest ,for what self grtification ,oh and yes he as a scedule 1 he can disturb them ,why he had to do it i dont know , but what i do know is that those birds that were due to fledge never did,because for some reason and i have my theory they were not in the nest the day after ...basicaly the guy rings anything he can get his hands on...

Last edited:
Back