Shameless HDR

Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking through some of my early photos and found some very heavy HDR shots from when I first discovered the technique and abused it....

So, purely for nostalgia, I've downloaded Photomatrix, after deleting it 10 years ago and created this horror.

Ambleside by Adam P, on Flickr

o_O ;)

Last edited:
I do rather like the more extreme look especially more desaturated and with noise under control, it can make a very striking image with buildings and vehicles - less so people and general landscapes as a rule.

As a technique it can also be applied in a very subtle way so most would hardly notice - including using photomatix which gives you a lot of control of the output.

I fell into the overprocessed HDR trap many years ago. I rarely, if ever use it nowadays but I do think it has its place if done correctly. Subtle is the key, if it's going to be used.

I fell into the overprocessed HDR trap many years ago. I rarely, if ever use it nowadays but I do think it has its place if done correctly. Subtle is the key, if it's going to be used.
Or really go for it, as an intended wild effect.
Photography is rarely all about realism.

it is almost bad enough to be interesting.

One of the biggest improvements you can make to your photography is the aha moments when you realised something you were doing was crap.
And it really is the key to becoming a better photographer.

Been looking through some of my early photos and found some very heavy HDR shots from when I first discovered the technique and abused it....

So, purely for nostalgia, I've downloaded Photomatrix, after deleting it 10 years ago and created this horror.

Ambleside by Adam P, on Flickr

Know what you mean. I have deleted just about all of my early HDR efforts; they were an insult to the eyes. I'm well in the less is more camp.

Dave

I quite like HDR but this one is a little overdone :oops: :$

I do like the sky :)

I have no issue with HDR, when done properly it can really change an image.

I took this in Ambleside last year on a dull, overcast day, -1/+1 exposure.

Bridge House - Ambleside by Adam P, on Flickr

You can still download it?

Blimey

Surprised me too!

Horror show!

Technically the true horror is the tonemapping bit and not HDR itself, which is notably absent from this example
I have no issue with HDR, when done properly it can really change an image.

I took this in Ambleside last year on a dull, overcast day, -1/+1 exposure.

Bridge House - Ambleside by Adam P, on Flickr

Surprised me too!

Peter Lik would be proud. You should print it on metallic paper at A3 size and sell a limited edition of 500.

Peter Lik would be proud. You should print it on metallic paper at A3 size and sell a limited edition of 500.

How so? Have you seen a single of his prints up close and personal?

The HDR grunge look. I still have Photomatrix and use it sometimes but most of the time I just process in Lightroom.

Back