Shanghai - the strange Bund Tourist Tunnel

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
This set of photos was taken in Shanghai, in what is known as the Bund Tourist Tunnel. It is a rail tunnel under the river between the Bund area – a road of impressive old colonial buildings - and the financial district. The rail cars are small driverless pods which can hold about 15 people standing. The tunnel is tackily and bizarrely lit, with the addition of lasers too. The odd figures seen on the tracks in picture 9 are inflatable clown-like creations dancing in the breeze.

The photos were taken holding the camera against the front glass with half second exposures, varying apertures. Manual focus.

p721351990.jpg

p724440129.jpg

p579320715.jpg

p1015348942.jpg

p1017459065.jpg

p951732920.jpg

p554040611.jpg

p1063817532.jpg

p1015633690.jpg

p563151904.jpg

Interesting - I couldn't find the thing on my trip to Shanghai. :|

Those are good !! The tunnel is (IMHO) a depressingly tacky experience - but these shots make it really look good. When I was there last (2006??) my camera died - so nothing similar to compare.

I think those are rather cool! But I agree with Ned, the experience itself is a little tacky, but these shots are very good!

God! Those are good! I instantly broke out into goosepimples looking at those pictures.
Absolutely loving the colour and the composition in all of them, brilliant captures!
That place deserves a LOT more recognition! I love all things garish and colourful, and this would be my idea of a tunnel into heaven when I shuffle off my mortal coil.

Interesting - I couldn't find the thing on my trip to Shanghai. :|

The Bund end wasn't particularly well signed, but the other end was far worse. It took some careful observations to make sure I found my way back to it in the dark.

Those are good !! The tunnel is (IMHO) a depressingly tacky experience - but these shots make it really look good. When I was there last (2006??) my camera died - so nothing similar to compare.

Thank you Ned. I made up for your loss in 2007. I went on it four times.

I think those are rather cool! But I agree with Ned, the experience itself is a little tacky, but these shots are very good!

Thank you very much C.

God! Those are good! I instantly broke out into goosepimples looking at those pictures.
Absolutely loving the colour and the composition in all of them, brilliant captures!
That place deserves a LOT more recognition! I love all things garish and colourful, and this would be my idea of a tunnel into heaven when I shuffle off my mortal coil.

Thank you Ian. I'm a bit of a softie for garish colours and patterns too. The Chinese excelled themselves here.

Back