Shard London

Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by Neil's thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/london-day-trip.671045/ (esp shot 2) I thought I'd wander down and look at the Shard. I blatantly plagiarised Neil's shot but then walked round the corner to the viewing platform to take these:

1. Long exposure version - blend of one shot where the foreground was cleaner and the sky more colourful, and a later one where the Shard was illuminated:
Shard II by Ian, on Flickr

2. After packing up a nice single cloud blew in, so I grabbed a quick hand-held shot:
Shard III by Ian, on Flickr

Both with Fuji XT1 and 14mm lens

Very nice photography with some lovely colours and creative work Ian. My only bugbear is something does not feel quite right, not the streetlamp itself but the way it is not dead central to the Shard and verticals seem to be leaning out?

Very nice photography with some lovely colours and creative work Ian. My only bugbear is something does not feel quite right, not the streetlamp itself but the way it is not dead central to the Shard and verticals seem to be leaning out?

Mmm, I hadn't thought too long and hard about the positioning of the light - I was happy with it being within the Shard but wasn't going for dead central. The hand-held shot looks closer in that respect but that was pure chance. That is worth reconsidering when I go next. I *think* the verticals are vertical but the triangle thing does play tricks on my eyes if I look at it hard enough. The floor certainly isn't perfectly flat though, I guess it slopes for drainage, and so the tiles don't line up perfectly and the lamppost is wonky.

Thanks for these thoughts - I'll try and remember when I go back next time.

For now, here is one from the same night I reprocessed. Likely still suffers from the same issues (plus I forgot to rotate it clockwise a hair...) but I gave it a different look:

Shard V by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like it! would like to see what it would look like with all the foreground and shaped black or darker...but hey thats just me lol

Nice images I especially like the last one.

Back