weekly Shirleyr's ~ 52's ~ 2017 ~ 46 to 52

Filling the frame for your vivid shot works very well (y)

How cute! Well caught parent child interaction, great sharpness. I haven't seen them that tiny!

Well I thought it was a coot ... but, whatever ... nice bit of lakelife.

RE-Shoot ~ Smooth ~ A cut tree and the cut makes a a smooth surface.
Smooth.jpg

You know who won't see if I sneak another re-shoot in, I forgot its want I wanted to do, mineral, a glass droplet that hangs in the window and then when the sun shines the glass shines rainbows all over the room but dare not to look at the glass or it will blind you.Mineral.jpg

Last edited:
Week 19 ~ Architecture~ My dream house in Morfa Nefyn. Its recently been built and I love it, should it ever come for sale my house follows it on the market because I would love this little house. It needs roses round the door and a vase of flowers in a window.

P.S Its crooked and I can't straiten it:(
The BayTree.jpg

I like your reshoot for mineral, lovely colours! And nice house captured well at garden fence level. I agree, it could to with some flowers :)

Love it Shirley ! You were quicker off the mark than me. I had to wait all day while the cloud kept forming and them "smudging" away without forming the image I wanted.

Great idea and nice and clean cloud photo!

I like the way the clouds fill the frame pretty evenly.

Hi Shirley,

Large - As others have said, you've captured the interaction there really well (y)

Re-shoot - I prefer the Mineral re-shoot over smooth, it pops from the background so much more.

Architecture - Lovely cottage, would be so nice to live there.

It wouldn't take too long to straighten, would you like me to have a go for you?
If you have photoshop, the steps I would advise are
1. Show-Grid (so you can see what you're aligning to)
2. Ctrl-A to select the whole image
3. Ctrl-T to put you into Transform
4. Ctrl LeftMouseClick the top left anchor point and drag to the left and perhaps down a bit until the roof is horizontal and the left wall is straight (actually, you would have to have it leaning out a bit)
5. You'll notice that the right wall is probably leaning to the left more than it was, ctrl LeftMouseClick the top right anchor point and drag to the right until the tight wall is vertical.
6. repeat 4 & 5 until you've got it how you want it.
7. Esc takes you out of transform
8. Ctrl-D gets rid of the marching ants (selection)
9. Crop to suit.

Broken - Bang on theme. Nicely captured.

A quick catch-up from me, Shirley, as I've missed a few weeks. My favourites are Vivid - I had the same idea for this theme - and it's worked really well. I think the gorse seems brighter and more vibrant than ever this year. I really like Broken, too; it's a clever idea to use the lovely broken cloud and you found the perfect patch of sky with a lovely even pattern.

Hi Shirley :)

Sorry I have missed a few of yours, I like that house you took for architecture, nicely built and certainly made to look old, nice one :)

Broken - now that idea I love, and what a great patch of sky too, a very dreamy sky reminding me of summer laying on the grass staring up and day dreaming !!! - like it :)

Hi Shirley,

Large - As others have said, you've captured the interaction there really well (y)

Re-shoot - I prefer the Mineral re-shoot over smooth, it pops from the background so much more.

Architecture - Lovely cottage, would be so nice to live there.

It wouldn't take too long to straighten, would you like me to have a go for you?
If you have photoshop, the steps I would advise are
1. Show-Grid (so you can see what you're aligning to)
2. Ctrl-A to select the whole image
3. Ctrl-T to put you into Transform
4. Ctrl LeftMouseClick the top left anchor point and drag to the left and perhaps down a bit until the roof is horizontal and the left wall is straight (actually, you would have to have it leaning out a bit)
5. You'll notice that the right wall is probably leaning to the left more than it was, ctrl LeftMouseClick the top right anchor point and drag to the right until the tight wall is vertical.
6. repeat 4 & 5 until you've got it how you want it.
7. Esc takes you out of transform
8. Ctrl-D gets rid of the marching ants (selection)
9. Crop to suit.

Broken - Bang on theme. Nicely captured.
Yes please.

Transport, a very nice shot but to blur the rotors SP has to be quite low :)
I was bird watching at the time and upped the iso but didn't want to touch the other settings, I stood for nearly an hour waiting for a Sedge Warbler to show its self, they all stopped singing after the heli passed.

I was bird watching at the time and upped the iso but didn't want to touch the other settings, I stood for nearly an hour waiting for a Sedge Warbler to show its self, they all stopped singing after the heli passed.
Sorry, I meant to ask what is SP

Hi Shirley,
I was going to mention reducing the shutter speed to introduce some motion blur into the rotors, but I see from your reply to Dave that you were in Bird photing mode, so settings would not be right. Nice crisp image. It may have a little bit of a blue cast, but only slight, and removing it would make the sky grey, so I'd keep it as is.

I had a play with the cottage pic for you...
View attachment 103264

Hi Shirley,
I was going to mention reducing the shutter speed to introduce some motion blur into the rotors, but I see from your reply to Dave that you were in Bird photing mode, so settings would not be right. Nice crisp image. It may have a little bit of a blue cast, but only slight, and removing it would make the sky grey, so I'd keep it as is.

I had a play with the cottage pic for you...
View attachment 103264
Thanks very much, I would say its perfect.:)

Quick catch up from me as I've not managed to comment for a couple of weeks:

Architecture - looks like a lovely cottage, Tim has done a great job straightening it as well but I still like the original.
Broken - Very good choice for the subject and one of my favourites. As DK says it brings thoughts of just laying on some grass and watching the clouds go by :)
Transport - Impressive piece of transport, nicely grabbed as you were in birdwatching mode. Hope the birds came out to sing again once the helicopter had cleared off.

Back