weekly Shirleyr's ~ 52's ~ 2017 ~ 46 to 52

Thanks for the comments everyone, I think the feather stood out better by a smaller size. Its too big. It is a Siskin.

Last edited:
Very nice photos, the third is my favourite, but I like the way you have framed the shot in number 2, the Llyn is another of my favourite places. Flown model gliders from the very top of the hill but never ventured down to the village.

I was there in the summer, glorious weather, crystal clear sea and watched some dolphins.

You're a week early with your re-shoot, but I won't tell anyone :)

I prefer #1, gives a context of the surroundings of the cottages. Nice bit of history too.

Week 12 ~ Re. Shoot ~ Order
Nant Gwrtheyrn, was an abandoned village in the 1970s following the closure of the quarries. The redundant houses, office, chapel and shops constructed during the quarrys hayday between 1860 and 1920, when over 2000 men worked the granite, had fallen into rack and ruin.
Each cottage was the same, two rooms down stairs, the lounge and the kitchen. Upstairs two bedrooms.
The village is a the bottom of a hill and overlooks the sea, the families who lived there could either go up the hill or by boat. There was no electricity or running water.
There is a lady who now in her 90s grew up there, she used to give talks about the life they lived and on many occasions tears used to well up in her eyes as she remembered the hardship.
In the 1970s we used to walk down the road which was a dirt track and the cottages were just shells but the atmosphere was there which now its not so much.
Yesterday I went down there and we went in a 4x4 unless your very fit, down hill is one thing but up is not for the faint hearted.
On the hills are wild goats and sometimes there are dead sheep on the road where the animals have fallen down the hill.
These two photos are the cottages each one the same, I don't think the insides are the same ( all mod cons now). They have left one cottage as it used to be, very very small. The lounge where the entir family lived and bathed, ate just very basically lived, a kitchen stone floor slate tops and a sink.

Quarrymans cottages by Shirley Roulston, on Flickr

Each the same by Shirley Roulston, on Flickr

second row by Shirley Roulston, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
**Mod Comment**
Some of the comments are now out of order because the posting order of #11 & #12 has been swapped at the OP's request

Very nice photos, the third is my favourite, but I like the way you have framed the shot in number 2, the Llyn is another of my favourite places. Flown model gliders from the very top of the hill but never ventured down to the village.

I was there in the summer, glorious weather, crystal clear sea and watched some dolphins.

Reshoot, really do like them too Shirley even if it is for Week 12, great info on it all and love the lot, plus thanks for the memories as my gran lived in an old flint house when we lived with her in Wales :)

You're a week early with your re-shoot, but I won't tell anyone :)

I prefer #1, gives a context of the surroundings of the cottages. Nice bit of history too.
Thanks for the compliments, had to move you all as you were all in the wrong place:D a womans work is never done:D

Oh, I feel all discombobulated now I have been moved!:)
Like the lighting in the rose shot and it fits the theme very well. Really like the crispness of the edges of the flower.

Oh, I feel all discombobulated now I have been moved!:)
Like the lighting in the rose shot and it fits the theme very well. Really like the crispness of the edges of the flower.
That a huge word for 5am, I'll just look it up to see what it means.:D Thanks for the compliment(y)

Your very keen :) I struggle to keep up yet you've already done your reshoot for next week!

I like the mix of the light and shadows in the dark image but on my screen it's maybe a touch to dark as it's hard to make out details.

The reshoot for order looks an interesting place, I like the first shot for the context it gives but prefer the composition of #3 overall.

Hi Shirley.
Dark - Wow Shirley, I think this is my favourite of your shots this year, brilliant. Just the right amount of light in such a low key image :clap:
Re-shoot - Can we borrow your Tardis ;)
For me, the 3rd shot has the most appeal. I think it's the use of perspective that marks it out to me.

Hi Shirley.
Dark - Wow Shirley, I think this is my favourite of your shots this year, brilliant. Just the right amount of light in such a low key image :clap:
Re-shoot - Can we borrow your Tardis ;)
For me, the 3rd shot has the most appeal. I think it's the use of perspective that marks it out to me.
:):ty:I'll copy and paste this to my diary.:)

Yep Dark works well with the filtered light.

And that row of cottages [above middle] ... simple but nice.

(y)

Week 12 ~ Power Whilst bird watching to-day heard a helecopter coming from far and it came so close as I thought. Most likely it was heading for RAF Valley which is just across the sea from Morfa Nefyn.
Of course no idea what this huge noisy grey helecopter was, so homeward bound and Googled info.
Royal Navy Merlin MK3 it is or MK2
P.S ISO 1200 so background is a bit noisy.
Merlin.jpg

Hi Shirley,
As you say, it's a bit noisy due to the iso (I suspect you could pp that away if you had the raw).
Infact, I hope you don't mind, but I had a go from a screen capture, and with a judicious bit of masking to keep the detail in the copter, I ended up with...

ShirleyChopper.jpg
It's really quite hard to keep blue skies from being noisy - My old 7D was terrible in that respect.

One other suggestion would have been to lower the shutter speed a little, to be some blur into the rotors.

Spot on for the theme though. :)

Last edited:
Hi Shirley,
As you say, it's a bit noisy due to the iso (I suspect you could pp that away if you had the raw).
Infact, I hope you don't mind, but I had a go from a screen capture, and with a judicious bit of masking to keep the detail in the copter, I ended up with...

View attachment 98521
It's really quite hard to keep blue skies from being noisy - My old 7D was terrible in that respect.

One other suggestion would have been to lower the shutter speed a little, to be some blur into the rotors.

Spot on for the theme though. :)
IThanks Tim, I like the new version.(y)

Oh another helicopter photo! I agree with Tim that a slightly slower shutter speed to get a bit of motion blur into the rotors might be better. I looks like it might just fall out of the sky... But nice and sharp despite the noise.

Dark works for me Shirley, especially with the theme - all mysterious and moody - a proper woman in red :) Fascinating history of the cottages too - I prefer the wider view of the second.
Thanks Emma

Love the second Shirley - three very nicely arranged birds!

The second one is a winner!

Second for me too, cracker of a capture (y)(y)

Real nice capture of the bird in flight Shirley, and the lines work well through the image... and I must say your shots are getting better and better technically (y)
Thanks everyone, now I see the 52's in a different light, I don't jump in with the first photo that almost fits the theme but wait for a few days and something usually comes along and then I work on the photo to get it right.

Like the power shot, blue sky's are so hard for noise.
Really like the first Sandmartin shot, the light brings out the wing on the bird landing.

Late to the party I know but the Merlin is a Mk2. One of the aircraft I used to work on. The Mk3 is dark green and has a different rear fuselage (with a ramp). Also one of the aircraft I used to work on................

Late to the party I know but the Merlin is a Mk2. One of the aircraft I used to work on. The Mk3 is dark green and has a different rear fuselage (with a ramp). Also one of the aircraft I used to work on................
Thanks I very interested in this helicopters that pass overhead. They must be on their way to Valley which is just across the sea from where I live and I think the other smaller airport is Llanbedr. Anyway it was a massive hel' and I could hear it from some distance away.

Week 14 ~ Evolve ~ which I understood it to mean achieve gradually and I found a bunch if English White Bluebells.
White English Bluebells.jpg

Back