NSFW Shoot dog retrievals (graphic warning)

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a couple of commissions coming up this month & next and have just re-visited some previous shoots to process through a different stream. Some of the below I may have posted on here a couple of years ago, can't remember...........

shoota.jpg

shootd.jpg

shootc.jpg

shootb.jpg

At the risk of someone thinking me cruel, I think you have captured some very good shots dogs and hunting have had a long term association never considered taking this kind of image or had dogs that are trained

Excellent shots especially the first one, that really captures the nature of the Labrador as a retrieving dog.

That's my kinda dogs and excellent shots of them in action. Lovely. End of!!

Great subjects exellent exsposures and REALLY well post worked.

Gaz

A very nice set of images, a friend of mine meets up with a local gun dog club and gets some great shots though his haven't have the retrieved birds yet

A very nice set of images, a friend of mine meets up with a local gun dog club and gets some great shots though his haven't have the retrieved birds yet

Cheers - for me the dog retrievals are the highlight for me photographically speaking. The dogs work really hard in at times, very cold & wet conditions but they absolutely love it. To capture them in action is a real pleasure and they make a very sale-able item for the owners, some of whom are the guns themselves. Even the handlers have been known to actually buy these type of pictures! I have got a couple of jobs coming up to cover the day and output to hardback coffee table style books as well as some stand alone enlargements subject to me capturing the action!

Last edited:
Great shots, Adrian, especially the first (which IMO would look good in portrait format - there is a strong diagonal through the dog's front paws).

Dave

These labs are usually very well trained and the owner will be able to get them to run or pose anywhere so you can take your photos with a tidier background and nothing in the foreground as they retrieve. I do like the photos but for me I'd make some changes.

For example
No 1 has a lovely autumnal background but is spoiled by the messy foreground.
No 2 needs a tighter crop to lose the messy white bits above the dog
No 3 needs a tighter crop too
No 4 I don't think the pose of the dog looks 'comfortable'

As a photographer and a working dog owner, I think that I disagree with almost every single one of those (^) suggestions.
:agree:

Fantastic Shots - Working dogs are a pleasure to see particularly when captured like this

Really love these shots Adrian, I think the first and third ones are particularly good, especially with the autumn colours. I'm really looking forward to seeing more :)

All excellent shots with #2 being my favourite, the expression on it's face as it's looking at the camera does it for me.

As a photographer and a working dog owner, I think that I disagree with almost every single one of those (^) suggestions.

Thanks for your comments on my suggestions chaps. Without derailing the thread could you put me right as I too am willing to learn from others.

Wow love them (y)
I frequently look after a trained gundog, but sadly all of his working shoots are when I am working, and if the owner is organising the shoot
he is with me so not had chance to get the pictures

Adrian, just noticed you allow editing of your images so can I suggest this edit?

BTW good of you to mention graphic images in your title as there might be people who do not like the content of your shot. Personally, I cannot understand anyone who would be upset by your shots. I do not shoot and I have quite a lot of reservations about some shooting estates that appear to take, IMO, a cavalier attitude to any wild carnivore. However, these shot show, again IMO, an acceptable activity. I assume all the prey went to the pot.

Dave

shoota-crop.jpg

Really great shots, good focus that makes the dogs pop, and the colours are lovely.

Derek, I think the beauty of these shots lies in the totally natural setting, with a dog doing something it was bred to do... We all have differing opinions on the quality of any image, but in these circumstances, I think Adrian has captured a totally natural shot in the surroundings you would expect to see (clutter an' all ;) )

Thanks for your comments on my suggestions chaps. Without derailing the thread could you put me right as I too am willing to learn from others.

Because these are environmental portraits showing the ground that the dogs are working in. Your suggestions would have cropped that out entirely.
And the dog in #4 isn't uncomfortable, he's alert and poised.

Derek, I think the beauty of these shots lies in the totally natural setting, with a dog doing something it was bred to do... We all have differing opinions on the quality of any image, but in these circumstances, I think Adrian has captured a totally natural shot in the surroundings you would expect to see (clutter an' all ;) )

The dogs and settings are natural and the colours and focus are excellent, and I love them as such, and but for selling I'd want to try and remove the distractions from in front of and round about the dogs.

Adrian, just noticed you allow editing of your images so can I suggest this edit?

BTW good of you to mention graphic images in your title as there might be people who do not like the content of your shot. Personally, I cannot understand anyone who would be upset by your shots. I do not shoot and I have quite a lot of reservations about some shooting estates that appear to take, IMO, a cavalier attitude to any wild carnivore. However, these shot show, again IMO, an acceptable activity. I assume all the prey went to the pot.

Dave

View attachment 48325
Good portrait crop, I like it. The reason for the landscape aspect for the majority of my shots is that the books I produce are landscape aspect so I have to think about the final product. When I do sports event photography I try and shoot the majority portrait as this aspect suits an A4 magazine front cover which offers greater revenue than a shot used on an inside page.
The retrieved birds get sold to a local butchers for a ridiculously low price (£1 per bird rings a bell). The guns rarely take any, the beaters do!

Because these are environmental portraits showing the ground that the dogs are working in. Your suggestions would have cropped that out entirely.
And the dog in #4 isn't uncomfortable, he's alert and poised.

Sorry Mark, I was writing the other reply and only just noticed this. I agree you would need to show the environment but for photos for a book I was suggesting that the handler could take the dogs past the bonny background without distractions so Adrian could be ready. But if that's not what's wanted there's no point in going down that route.

Interesting discussion. Thanks.

Sorry Mark, I was writing the other reply and only just noticed this. I agree you would need to show the environment but for photos for a book I was suggesting that the handler could take the dogs past the bonny background without distractions so Adrian could be ready. But if that's not what's wanted there's no point in going down that route.

Interesting discussion. Thanks.

It's a bit like covering a football match - you can't really ask the striker to re-take his phenomenal goal with his shirt tucked in, sponsors logo facing the camera and snot wiped off his cheek. The shoot action is live and unfolding as you attempt to capture the various moments. If a handler wanted a portrait shot of his dog then I agree, that could be set up but that would be a different sort of 'shoot'................

^^^That. In spades.

I want to see the landscape that my dog is working in and all the subtle indicators that these shots provide.
It's autumn. The first Lab is working in ground that has holly and thorns but it isn't shying away.
The second animal isn't afraid of working in rough water whilst the third has worked the river and bank.
The fourth is alert to his handler after the retrieve.

Small things but they make a complete story line.

Wow, they're stunning images Adrian. If you don't mind me asking, what gear/settings were used to capture them?
Sorry Andy, only just seen your post - The above were taken with a Nikon D700 & 70-200 f/2.8 lens. I try and keep a shutter speed of 1/500th but the the 1st pic in the set was at 1/320th f/2.8 ISO 1100. A few shots in the book were taken at ISO 5000 but looked fine printed A4 size.

From a Lab owner: warf! Groovy shooting!

A really lovely set very crisp and all showing great environmental detail which really works on these and shows not all images need clean out of focus backgrounds

Last edited:
Brilliant. Frist three could be straight out of Sporting Gun magazine.

Sorry Andy, only just seen your post - The above were taken with a Nikon D700 & 70-200 f/2.8 lens. I try and keep a shutter speed of 1/500th but the the 1st pic in the set was at 1/320th f/2.8 ISO 1100. A few shots in the book were taken at ISO 5000 but looked fine printed A4 size.
Thanks Adrian, I haven't tried this type of photography, but I would like to at some point in the future. I appreciate the info!

Back