Nothing wrong with the weather!

DSC09554s.jpg

:LOL::LOL:

Nice shot :clap:

I also have a sequence of the glider crash, starting with this:

DSC09532-3-2-2-2.jpg

I hope the pilot was okay

Andy

yes, hope the glider made it out alright. if he did, can you put the sequence up?

OK, I'll post the entire sequence.

DSC09531s.jpg

DSC09532s.jpg

DSC09533s.jpg

DSC09534s.jpg

DSC09535s.jpg

DSC09536s.jpg

Last edited:
how did he manage to do that then, one two many loops or just a case of wrong angle and getting caught out. If its the same glider ive seen doing the display then both times ive seen him he has been spot on and clearly knows his machine

That's a scary one that. I've been up in glider and there isn't that much around you to cushion the bump believe me.

Hi RobY

Whilst it is painful to see my friend and colleague Mike Newman obviously getting hurt whilst crashing my glider, your pictures are very sharp and clear and could be useful to the AAIB, BGA and OSTIV.

Please can you contact me off forum through our website if you could provide any of these images in native resolution?

We do not have a commercial interest in these images, just to improve safety to all glider pilots through better (safety cell) cockpit design and improved stall spin prevention teaching through the BGA.

regards

Guy Westgate

Swift Aerobatic Display Team
http://www.swiftteam.airshows.org.uk/

Mike's injuries are bruises and a broken back, and he needs some weeks laying flat for the vertebrae to heal themselves without risking damage to his spinal chord.
He moved hospitals today to be nearer home and is expected to make a full recovery in time.

Hi RobY

Whilst it is painful to see my friend and colleague Mike Newman obviously getting hurt whilst crashing my glider, your pictures are very sharp and clear and could be useful to the AAIB, BGA and OSTIV.

Please can you contact me off forum through our website if you could provide any of these images in native resolution?

regards

Guy Westgate

Have received your email Guy, the images will be posted in TIFF format - rather too large to email! I did sent a JPG set to the AAIB on the evening of the accident rather than post to the organisers of the show.

Rob

Only just seen these,shocking yet amazing sequence of shots

Wishing a speedy recovery for the pilot

Hi, this is a message for RobY, I'm from the Villager newspaper, which covers Egham where the glider pilot Mike Newman lived for a while, we were wondering if it would be okay to include one or more of your photos, crediting you? Our deadline is 9am tomorrow (Thursday 16th September), I can be contacted on news@bracknellnews.co.uk Best wishes, Rose

Picture in Daily Mail today. And don't start on me about being a Mail reader.

...... and the Express, and The Times and Telegraph no less. My local paper also is going to run them.

Wooohooo

Last edited:
That's a very sharp angle so close to the ground.

Wishing Mike a speedy recovery. From the way the glider hit the ground I assume the injury is like a paragliding broken back where the damage is compression. Much "better" than a motorbike broken back where it tends to be shear that also damages the spinal chord.

I hope you have offered them to the CAA/AAIB.

I hope you have offered them to the CAA/AAIB.

Certainly did, they were sent the same day before I did anything else with them. Flight safety has to be the priority. (y)

It looks like the wing hitting the ground first (2nd pic post 4) took some of the shock off the fuselage.

Hope he's ok and recovers soon.

I cant belive he walked away from that one, that is an amazing set of photos mate

Certainly did, they were sent the same day before I did anything else with them. Flight safety has to be the priority. (y)

Nice one Rob.

Those are really difficult to look through without being shocked. Hope the chap is ok.

Last edited:
Waow!!!!!!!!
Its awesome, Just seen these in the sun
Again Congrate.

Thanks, but it's not the sort of think we go to shows for.

Were they in the Sun recently, or did you see them on line?

Back