Wild Short-Eared Owl Encounter

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I was at RSPB Adwick Washland late afternoon in August 2018 having heard that a Short-Eared Owl had been spotted there. It was my first visit to the reserve.

There is a partly tree lined tarmacked road that goes through the reserve which was busy with dog walkers and cyclists. I had been walking around the reserve for two hours with no sign of the Owl and I was thinking it was time to head home when suddenly the Owl flew up from a fence post close to the road and started quartering the fields. I took some handheld shots with my 500mm f4 as it flew around for 20 minutes.

Then the Owl flew onto another fence post close to the road. I moved carefully along the road until I had a good view of the Owl through a gap in the trees. I started to take more shots. I was now about 20 feet from the Owl. It could see me and it could easily hear the camera shutter but it tolerated me and perched for 5 minutes before flying off to do some more hunting.

I guess the Owl had got used to all the people going up and down the road and was therefore not concerned by my presence.

A special encounter I shall never forget.

C&C welcome, thanks for looking.

SEOPerched2.jpg

SEOPerched1.jpg

A superb encounter with cracking images of a beautiful owl :) thanks for sharing those :)

But I wonder?

The darker 'face' with darker patch between the eyes.....plus the hint of prominent pair of feathers on the head make it is a LEO not SEO ;)

Forget that, I have just watched the BTO video guide...... yellow eyes SEO, orange eyes LEO. Facial variance can be seen!

PS not that I have knowingly seen either so close :(

Last edited:
A superb encounter with cracking images of a beautiful owl :) thanks for sharing those :)

But I wonder?

The darker 'face' with darker patch between the eyes.....plus the hint of prominent pair of feathers on the head make it is a LEO not SEO ;)

Thanks Box Brownie.

I think it is an SEO. I have not yet seen or photographed any LEO's but from the pics I have seen I think the ears are much longer and the faces are different :)

Thanks Box Brownie.

I think it is an SEO. I have not yet seen or photographed any LEO's but from the pics I have seen I think the ears are much longer and the faces are different :)
Hi Paul

Yup, I have edited my post........:coat:

Lovely shot Paul, shows its 'furry' feet and talons off well(y)

Normally I'd have said the oof grass was off putting, even a shame but on this occasion it might even add to the shot.....:thinking:.......my tastes are definitely changing :)

@Box Brownie Probably a female BB. Not set in stone but 9 out of 10 darker birds are female and the paler birds male. Also first year/winter birds can look darker. That applies to both both Long and Short-eared owls (y)

Normally I'd have said the oof grass was off putting, even a shame but on this occasion it might even add to the shot.....:thinking:.......my tastes are definitely changing :)

Thanks Phil - much appreciated.

I also felt unsure about the oof grass but decided there was enough detail in the shots to balance it out. :)

Great info on differences between the males and females (y)

@Box Brownie Probably a female BB. Not set in stone but 9 out of 10 darker birds are female and the paler birds male. Also first year/winter birds can look darker. That applies to both both Long and Short-eared owls (y)

Hi Phil

Many thanks for the identification insights, much appreciated :)

Back