Short-eared Owl

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
A shot from a very special morning back in 2011, I photographed this Short-eared Owl on Worlaby Carr, such a shame this site has gone the way of the plough.

I spent over an hour with this bird as it flew in and landed right next to me, it was so relaxed and didn't give a hoot ( sorry had to get that one in ) it was probably a juvenile bird, fresh in from the breeding grounds in the High North via Holland.

Probably the best wildlife watching experience I have had.

Canon 7D, Canon 500f4LIS + 1.4TC, Gitzo 1325 Full Frame

SEO-web-5399-1024 by Xtrail Andy, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Andy...

That is stunning, we are really looking forward to the SEO's coming back to Exmoor this winter it was one of our favourite experiences watching one hunting last winter

That is stunning, we are really looking forward to the SEO's coming back to Exmoor this winter it was one of our favourite experiences watching one hunting last winter

Thanks, Adam...they really are a pleasure to watch, wish they were still at Worlaby.

Fantastic eyes, a beautiful bird well captured, must have been a great experience :)

Belter and a nice change to see one of these.

Last edited:
Thanks very much everyone, really appreciate the feedback.

@ NSNO...Pleased you like the flickr images.

Great story Andy & must have been awesome to be around the owl, shot is fantastic & a gorgeous bird, well done

Excellent capture of a stunning bird.

Some shots catch your eye and this one does it as good as anything i have seen on here.

Nice :)

Was a great time. I went there during that week and had a great day. Well worth the 7 hour drive :)

Stunning shot Andy and I miss this place a lot myself it must of been one of the best places to see shortys I have seen up to 25 birds their at one time and it was a very sad to see it go and it was local

Thanks Kevin...I know what you mean re Worlaby, as you well know, it was one of the best places in the UK to see Birds of Prey and such a shame it has now gone.

BTW, you have some excellent images on flickr.

that's not a bad image Andy, well done, you are not going to get much better than that, (but there is always room for improvement!!!!) ...... not only with this one but with the others that you have posted which illustrate that you certainly have all under control

Keep postings .. some v good images

Last edited:
Back