Short-eared Owl

Edit My Images
Yes
I've spent some time on these birds over the last few years, watching them hunt over an 8sq mile area, lady luck had to shine on me eventually! :D

D7200, Sigma 150-600 c

1/800th, f8, ISO 1100 @600mm........with a snowy background

Some nice low setting sun would've been good.....maybe a vole in its beak......... but then again, the wife says I'm never happy :)

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking

SEO 1024.jpg

Well Phil sorry but i have to C&C, stop posting such photographs and hacking me off :LOL::LOL::LOL:...........simply stunning you must be well and truly chuffed and like you have been watching an area for years, and yes the missus thinks the same :LOL::LOL:

“Excellent” shot, and very nicely presented.

George.

Yep, I was gonna say those eyes, they just POP, superb shot.

Well Phil sorry but i have to C&C, stop posting such photographs and hacking me off :LOL::LOL::LOL:...........simply stunning you must be well and truly chuffed and like you have been watching an area for years, and yes the missus thinks the same :LOL::LOL:

“Excellent” shot, and very nicely presented.

George.

Beautiful image of a wonderful creature.

(y)

Wow, those eyes!!!

Yep, I was gonna say those eyes, they just POP, superb shot.

Beautiful Phil - great reward for all those hours on the moors. Now, wheres that clone tool for the wire.......

Mike

Thanks for the comments chaps, much appreciated

@pooley

Thanks Mike, if it hadn't have been for the bottom of the tail feathers being just behind the wire it would've been gone!

Not (deliberately!) trying to be a smart arse here Phil, but maybe a couple of techniques to lose the wire. If you have the patch tool in elements its easy to lose most of the metal by splitting the wire into smaller manageable sections - I used 4 - then circle the wire with the patch tool and drag it away. Make sure the 'content aware' box is ticked.

Then clone away the area next the tail using a small hard brush. Don't be scared of going into the tail, as you can add a mask later, and paint over any mistakes and the tail will magically re-appear!

Lastly, take a small soft brush , and at about 50% opacity clone some extra tail in to make the bottom of the tail look natural

SEO-1024-no-wire.jpg

It really is a great shot, it'd be a real contender for some wall space

Mike

@pooley

I don't have patch tool in Elements 14......smart arse :asshat: :kiss:

That's a great bit of cloning Mike, thank you (y) it definitely looks better without it.

I'd have thought even without the patch tool its possible, I just couldn't be bothered to have a go with the tip of the tail feathers missing, thanks to your edit, I'm going to have to give it a go now :p :D

Edit- had a quick go, just done the tail, not as much trouble as I thought, rest should be easy enough, cheers
SEO 1024 cloned.jpg

It really is a great shot, it'd be a real contender for some wall space

Thanks mate, yes, think I'll be having a print done, probably A3.

I've got a few more, slightly different angle and even closer, probably have one of them done too.

I've also been asked if it can be used in the Northern England Raptor Forum review and happily said yes

Fabulous shot, I also like the edit by @pooley

Many thanks

Last edited:
Stunning piccie Phil - with or without the wire (y)(y)

Thanks Russ, appreciated

- they land where they land, and there's nowt we can do about it!

Definitely Russ and these have the choice of 1000's of post, you certainly need a touch of luck to get one so close

Back