Short Eared Owls

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
Not the best light today but it was great to see these birds again, hopefully lots more chances of getting more

seo22.jpg

seo13.jpg

seo15x1.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent shots as always.(y)

Am I the only one who sees the head of the tin man from the Wizzard of Oz on the perch in #3?:LOL:

A great start to the SEO season Kaz.

We have two arrivals on my patch but I haven't had decent enough light or dry, non windy conditions to get out yet with the camera, maybe this week!!

Last edited:
Hi,Stunning shots, I can't see the tin man though, but I can see another face looking right on the pearch.

As per your usual high standard Kas, definately #3 for me.

Nice to see your back into the shorties Kaz,can't wait to see some more of your work...Nige.:clap:

From a newbie-- How far away from the owl were you? and what lens did you have fitted?

can you do a post saying how you go about birding,lens,settings,finding them etc? :cool:

From a newbie-- How far away from the owl were you? and what lens did you have fitted?

can you do a post saying how you go about birding,lens,settings,finding them etc? :cool:

Well first of all I am rubbish with distances all I can say we were lucky to have a few close flybys so they were not cropped at lot at all, thats why I got away with reasonable images because the light was not good. They were took at f5.6, ISO was up to 1000 on most of them, giving me a shutter speed of between 1/640 and 1/1000 which I would of course wanted more. the perched one I managed 1/1000 shutter there was a slight glimpse of sun which didn t last long. I was using a canon 500f4L with a 1.4 convertor. The perched one is cropped a lot more than I would usually want to do but it was a shortie so couldn t resist :) You asked how I go about birding well firstly I am lucky to have a great husband with loads of patience and who also does photography so we are out hours and hours when we do go out sometimes driving around certailn places to spot the different birds. You can find out lots of info from places like birdguides that tells you whats been spotted and there are lots of blogs, latest reports in different areas that tell you of the bird sightlings. So sometimes lots of time and waiting around is what we and a lot who I know do to get their images. The settings I use vary I don t know what camera you use so I won t go into them as there is a lot, I mostly though vary my af expansion to suit different locations, especially the flight ones its conveniant when it can be difficult to track moving subjects so you can change them to suit.

I think we must have the same Flickr contacts Kaz as i've seen a few of this bird but no3 is a belter, lovely natural looking shot and the crop looks spot on.
Looks like it's going to be another good year for these (y)

Nice set Karen. You've done well considering the day you were dealt. I don't think the mist cleared by me until at least early afternoon and then it wasn't great. Well done, No 2 for me.

Best Regards,

Carl.

Nice set Karen. You've done well considering the day you were dealt. I don't think the mist cleared by me until at least early afternoon and then it wasn't great. Well done, No 2 for me.

Best Regards,

Carl.

Thanks Carl, it was not the best day lol, one minute foggy then blowing over then foggy again, and then just stayed dull, never mind always another day.

Back