Shortest morning ever this morning!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Well the forecast was good for this morning bright start, gradually clouding over, with rain after lunch ... good to go for a morning's photography. :)
7:20am and it was chucking it down on the motorway but by 8am it was just dark and drizzle!

Wanted a bit of decent light to try out the new 300 f4 VR PF but it didn't seem I would get it ... had a few 'bright periods' of short duration and then the rain started again by 10am so I abandoned things in favour of a coffee and trip home :(

I need to get some better light to fully test this lens, AF was extremely responsive in the low light and it seemed to take the TC 1.4 & 1.7 well but needs further appraisal.

Just to keep the 'Bird Section' active as Bill would say :D ...

Act of aggression

Aggression.jpg

Old Show-off

Showing-Off.jpg

Juvenile Ruff

Juvenile-Ruff.jpg

Common Teal

Teal2.jpg

Pintail in flight

Pintail.jpg

Your Pintail in flight is just a beauty!
What's the white bird in "Old Show-off"?
All cool renditions!

Great last one,looks promising.

Good shots Roger - do you reckon the lens will be useful??

D7200?

Good shots Roger - do you reckon the lens will be useful??

D7200?

Yes D7200 Bill ... I hope it will as it is so easy to use and BIF shots seem as though they will be much better than with the 500 f4 on gimbal.
It isn't going to replace the 500 f4 from what I can see this morning but I really need more light to be able to see it at its best I think :)

Yes D7200 Bill ... I hope it will as it is so easy to use and BIF shots seem as though they will be much better than with the 500 f4 on gimbal.
It isn't going to replace the 500 f4 from what I can see this morning but I really need more light to be able to see it at its best I think :)

that's what I feel Roger - it will never pull in the detail of the longer primes but it is so light, has VR and takes TC's

I need that good light in the morning,took the sigma 150-600 back and got another Tamron 150-600:eek: if it doesn't freeze it could be a keeper if it does its going next year against a 200-500

I need that good light in the morning,took the sigma 150-600 back and got another Tamron 150-600:eek: if it doesn't freeze it could be a keeper if it does its going next year against a 200-500

Tomorrow's weather forecast looks worse than today!
Really not sure about the 200-500, almost every review I've seen comments on slow AF.

Exactly the same as you Mike.

Got the Tamron 150-600 and, to be fair, it has been okay.

But a couple of times, it has frozen up on the autofocus at crucial times. I have had a GSW visiting the garden numerous times over the last few months. The other day, for the first time, it landed on the perch I always wanted it to land on. It stayed on it for about 8 seconds.
Swung the camera round, aimed at it, AF frozen - turn camera off quick, back on - result = GSW's arse as he flies off!

Had the same with a Jay the other week.

So have been looking at part exchanging the Tammy for the Nikon 200-500 and grabbing a 1.4 tc with it as well. As far as I can see, with the TC attached to my D600, I'll get it down to F8 which should be okay. I was thinking about maybe upgrading to a D750 too at some point.

That 200-500mm doesn't seem to be in stock though anywhere, has it been released in the UK? Or, are we close to having it released here?

Exactly the same as you Mike.

Got the Tamron 150-600 and, to be fair, it has been okay.

But a couple of times, it has frozen up on the autofocus at crucial times. I have had a GSW visiting the garden numerous times over the last few months. The other day, for the first time, it landed on the perch I always wanted it to land on. It stayed on it for about 8 seconds.
Swung the camera round, aimed at it, AF frozen - turn camera off quick, back on - result = GSW's arse as he flies off!

Had the same with a Jay the other week.

So have been looking at part exchanging the Tammy for the Nikon 200-500 and grabbing a 1.4 tc with it as well. As far as I can see, with the TC attached to my D600, I'll get it down to F8 which should be okay. I was thinking about maybe upgrading to a D750 too at some point.

That 200-500mm doesn't seem to be in stock though anywhere, has it been released in the UK? Or, are we close to having it released here?

I had horrendous freeze problems,two trips to tamron couldn't fix it so ime of the opinion its unfix-able,but the Sigma was great on the D750 but couldn't cope at all on the D7200,after much agonizing i decided i was losing less shots with the tamron freeze than i was with the inconsistent results the sigma gave,i tried to make it work even lugged a tripod around with me a few times,tried all variables of OS on and off,hand held,tripod,filter on filter off.

Tomorrow's weather forecast looks worse than today!
Really not sure about the 200-500, almost every review I've seen comments on slow AF.

At the moment i have the promise of a couple of hours of sun in the morning,yes the 200-500 is a unknown quantity at the moment.

Sigma was great on the D750 but couldn't cope at all on the D7200,

Surprised to hear that Mike, on another forum one tog puts the combo up with the results he gets from his D4.

Looks like you did ok with it Roger the detail on the back of the Juv Ruff really pops almost 3d on my screen, I had a look at the 200-500 it seems bigger and heavier than I was actually expecting and focus didn't see quite to quick as my 80-400G I had previously ? maybe just in my head ?

Looks like you did ok with it Roger the detail on the back of the Juv Ruff really pops almost 3d on my screen, I had a look at the 200-500 it seems bigger and heavier than I was actually expecting and focus didn't see quite to quick as my 80-400G I had previously ? maybe just in my head ?

Thanks Adam, I was thinking of the 200-500 but the AF reports made me hold back :)

Surprised to hear that Mike, on another forum one tog puts the combo up with the results he gets from his D4.

I could easily have had a dud,i bought it secondhand from the dealer,the first customer hadn't had it long and said the OS wasn't working,well it was but could have had other problems,every thing at the moment is temporary until i decide on the 200-500 and got this one as a no cost swap so thought i would give it another go rather than wait for the sigma to go away.

I could easily have had a dud,i bought it secondhand from the dealer,the first customer hadn't had it long and said the OS wasn't working,well it was but could have had other problems,every thing at the moment is temporary until i decide on the 200-500 and got this one as a no cost swap so thought i would give it another go rather than wait for the sigma to go away.

I like your supplier! :)

Back