Critique Shot in belfast. Please go easy [emoji16]

Edit My Images
Yes
I shot this in belfast. Waited for a subject for around half an hour as I loved the light and location . Someone came along and asked to do a portrait. I wanted to position him in shadow to add some mystery. Perhaps black level heavy but also wanted to frame him in a box. Left some detail in the blacks. Anyways let me know what you think. IMG_20180620_201115_668.jpeg

Hi Jonny, My main criticism is that the silhouette is just not interesting enough.I can not get into your mind about exactly what you were trying to do but i can give you a run through of what i would do in exactly the same circumstances Dealing with a stranger giving you a few minutes of his time etc.
Firstly the light is coming from the left and creating a more interesting pattern on the right wall of the alley, so i would have the subject stand on the right, his foot and lower leg being diagonally in the light. To make the silhouette shape more interesting perhaps have the subject looking at his mobile phone [cliche , but you use what you have] This creates another light source perhaps giving some light to the subject in a subtle way or just as a oblong of light in his hand. There is now a lot more photographic info in the silhouette when you choose what level of black or shadows you want to apply therefore giving the viewer more possibilities to see a story.

Hi Jonny I think you have produced the effect you went for in this image.Great Idea. My only nit pick is the subjects glasses give a confusing distraction and I would remove them. Well done(y)

Sorry Jonny but it's not working for me. Mainly because I can't see the subject. One the one hand you could say there's shadow & mystery, but on the other you could say he's so well hidden he's almost invisible. He's part of the frame and not framed by the frame... If you get what I mean. For me - at first glance, this is a photo of some double doors.

The texture and tones in the brickwork are lovely, but there is too much "frame" for my liking. Perhaps getting closer to your subject and eliminating some of the dead space around might show the person more as the subject of your image.
As usual - this is just my opinion etc etc.

Back