Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, but lots of people have tattoos while there are very few who change gender.

And fewer still who change gender fully.

Last edited:
I shave my head AND have tattoos. Some people thing I look like a right nasty b'stard. Luckily, my Wife and Daughter dont think so ;), and my boss still thinks im good at my job despite the choices I made with regards to hair-do and body art (y)

Out of interest what is your job? I think that is the crux of it.

Out of interest what is your job? I think that is the crux of it.

I work for one of the largest electronic component distributors in the world, as a buyer for our semi-conductor line card. My largest supplier is Texas Instruments, and regularly meet with them face to face, in either Holland, Germany or at our HQ in the UK.

What a lovely attitude you have to a simple question.......

Well, I made a simple statement that I thought the majority would have realised where I was coming from. You asked me to elaborate so I did, in the bluntest possible way and you're blown away by my response. All those in favor of face tattoos (a small %) seem to be angling for some sort of fight against the 'normal' people who don't have or don't like face tattoos (a high %). I've yet to see someone with a facial tattoo, regardless of design where my first response in my head hasn't been 'what a moron'. It's your face, do what you want with it, it's my personally view, which I'm allowed to have that they look like morons.

Last edited:
Waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....:cautious: :cautious: :LOL:

Garfield... :D

Mind bleach......Oh god please, someone....MIND BLEACH!!! :runaway::runaway::runaway:

I will... :D

What is it about that, that actually offends you? Why are you offended by seeing it?

I like tattoos and other forms of body art, but I admit I dont really like the look of the massive stretched ear piercings. It doesnt 'offend' me though.

What do you call massive? I have my lobe stretched to 10mm. As I discovered a couple of years ago, if I leave the piercing unpopulated (for want of a better term!) for a fewe months, I have to stretch it back out again - it took about 6 months to get it back out to 10mm from the 3mm it could comfortably take when I put a ring back in. Fortunately I still have all the intermediate rings so it was just a question of waiting for the hole to stretch again. I also have several tattoos but if I'm wearing a T-shirt, you'll never see them. Not for employers' sakes (I'm retired), just because there's a lot of other skin and the tattoos are for me, not for other people. I have no objection to visible ones but hate the idea of Kanji (Chinese/Japanese characters) since they can mean different things and few people who have the designs KNOW what they mean...

Garfield... :D

I will... :D

What do you call massive? I have my lobe stretched to 10mm. As I discovered a couple of years ago, if I leave the piercing unpopulated (for want of a better term!) for a fewe months, I have to stretch it back out again - it took about 6 months to get it back out to 10mm from the 3mm it could comfortably take when I put a ring back in. Fortunately I still have all the intermediate rings so it was just a question of waiting for the hole to stretch again. I also have several tattoos but if I'm wearing a T-shirt, you'll never see them. Not for employers' sakes (I'm retired), just because there's a lot of other skin and the tattoos are for me, not for other people. I have no objection to visible ones but hate the idea of Kanji (Chinese/Japanese characters) since they can mean different things and few people who have the designs KNOW what they mean...

The last time I was at a gig, I saw a guy with stretched lobes, and they had to be a good inch and a half to 2 inches across. That doesnt appeal to me, but i dont think id even notice if someone came up to me with 10mm rings.

A moronic attention seeker who wants to be stared at in public then wonders why everyone is staring at them. Surprised I had to elaborate.
the only thing that i can post that wont get me banned:

Pinkie_Pie_haters_gonna_hate_zps5c5746e2.gif

If you're a Maori, knock yourself out, if you've got tears, a 'tribal' tattoo (representing the comes from Birmingham tribe) or a cross in the centre of your forehead then count me out.

Hmm, looks nice.

skulltattooman1.jpg

I've got nothing against tattoos, I saw Tim Howards the other day and though they looked good, it never even crossed my mind that he had so many as I'd not seen them before. Why aren't I allowed to think people who have face tattoos are morons?

article-2621108-1D74634700000578-737_634x896.jpg

Last edited:
If you're a Maori, knock yourself out, if you've got tears, a 'tribal' tattoo (representing the comes from Birmingham tribe) or a cross in the centre of your forehead then count me out.

Hmm, looks nice.

skulltattooman1.jpg

Ho looks a bit old for one of those face-painting parties ... panda perhaps? :D

There's been an interesting response with the general consensus basically agreeing that employers should be allowed to make their own decisions to employ an individual with visible tattoos based on whether it's right for their business. That seems sensible to me and the right decision. I've worked for employers myself where the contract of employment prevents employees from being tattooed and employed at the same time, British Airways is an example of such an employer.

I don't think being tattooed can be compared to your gender, sexual orientation, age or race, they are things that we have little choice over and they are rightly legislated to prevent prejudice overcoming reason.

There may well be people who choose to have a sex change as there will be those who choose their orientation but I think that's a debate for another day.

I feel that legislation, 'laws', should only be introduced when there's an injured party, I'm not sure there is one here anyway.

The way I look at it, would the people who think a tattoo is ok, have someone looking like this caring for an elderly relative? Or as a teaching assistant or janitor at their child's school, or employing them to work at reception in their bank or hotel? Or should it be OK to say no thanks, your tattoos preclude you from the position?

tattoo_suspect_riverside.JPG

Reactions: ST4
A good point Dave1. You've chosen a pretty extreme example. Would I want him caring for an elderly relative?... I might depending on his disposition and suitability for the job and especially I would if he got on well with my elderly relative, I certainly would (I have made no interpretation of his tattoos, I have no idea what FYL or any of it means, they may or may not be relevant).

As a teaching assistant no, janitor maybe and definitely, definitely not in any bank or hotel (that I would want to frequent anyway).

We all make choices and that's the point. We make a choice to have a tattoo we make a choice to employ someone with a tattoo on their neck.

We must decide what are priorities are I guess..

A good point Dave1. You've chosen a pretty extreme example. Would I want him caring for an elderly relative?... I might depending on his disposition and suitability for the job and especially I would if he got on well with my elderly relative, I certainly would (I have made no interpretation of his tattoos, I have no idea what FYL or any of it means, they may or may not be relevant).

As a teaching assistant no, janitor maybe and definitely, definitely not in any bank or hotel (that I would want to frequent anyway).

We all make choices and that's the point. We make a choice to have a tattoo we make a choice to employ someone with a tattoo on their neck.

We must decide what are priorities are I guess..

Never heard of FYL either, but looking at the "SS" rune on the side of his head, it would be safe to assume it's not something like "Friendly Youth League" ;).

Edit, clever Mr Google just told me, "FYL" stands for Fcuk Your Life.

Last edited:
Assuming.
Always wise. :rolleyes:

Assuming.
Always wise. :rolleyes:

So you wouldn't think it was safe to assume someone tattooed with Nazi symbols was going to be a less than "nice" person?

You must move in some strange circles if you think that's normal...

I know what you mean and my instinct would be negative seeing someone like that. But in the examples you posted I definitely wouldn't employ him in any face to face role (!) but isn't it the case quite often that people's character and talent's aren't what they seem at first.

I'm not denying the 'first impressions' effect but stand by the examples given and would still employ him to look after my dear old (late!) granny.

I know what you mean and my instinct would be negative seeing someone like that. But in the examples you posted I definitely wouldn't employ him in any face to face role (!) but isn't it the case quite often that people's character and talent's aren't what they seem at first.

I'm not denying the 'first impressions' effect but stand by the examples given and would still employ him to look after my dear old (late!) granny.

So you are saying that you would employ him to look after a corpse.

So you wouldn't think it was safe to assume someone tattooed with Nazi symbols was going to be a less than "nice" person?

You must move in some strange circles if you think that's normal...

That's not the assumption you spoke of.

I would always support the right of anyone to choose whether or not to have themselves tattooed if they so wish. However, I've never been able to understand why anyone would want to have a pattern/design/name or whatever permanently inked onto their bodies. Maybe someone who has tattoos could explain, because (to me anyway ...) they look hideous and having this done is an act of total folly and self mutilation. As such, I would have to question the judgement of anyone who did this to themselves, especially if done to extreme, and that would affect any decision I made to employ them or not. But, as i said, their bodies, their choice.

I have 2 tattoos - on the inner sides of my wrists and don't feel that they look hideous at all and most people don't even notice them!
I also don't feel that I've self mutilated myself either but that is just my opinion :)

So you are saying that you would employ him to look after a corpse.
No. I would employ him to look after my grandmother were she still alive, providing he was suitable and met various criteria, most importantly getting on well with my lively and sentient grandmother. The possibly political slogans over his face would have to be discussed at interview.

I did say it was an extreme example. I'm also saying don't be too quick to judge.

The way I look at it, would the people who think a tattoo is ok, have someone looking like this caring for an elderly relative? Or as a teaching assistant or janitor at their child's school, or employing them to work at reception in their bank or hotel? Or should it be OK to say no thanks, your tattoos preclude you from the position?

tattoo_suspect_riverside.JPG

1st impressions count. I doubt to many rightly or wrongly - he'd make a positive one based on his appearance. I get it that some folk love tattoos, the bulk don't mind them but excessive tattooing gives the impression of a lack of self restraint or moderation.

I don't know to look at that guy or read him.

I doubt anyone here's going to give a toss over the odd tattoo, but when they cover say the bulk of your face most normal people would think wtf? One or too on the arm - most normal folk won't give a s***

Last edited:
That's not the assumption you spoke of.

So other than just been an argumentative annoyance, you have the ability to know what assumption I made and spoke of?

Especially when I referenced the SS symbol and made the assumption from there, you did read all the words in my post?

looking at the "SS" rune on the side of his head, it would be safe to assume it's not something like "Friendly Youth League".

IMVHO if you choose to get a tattoo in a conspicuous place, you also choose to restrict your options for employment. I work in an industry that heavily frowns upon tattoos etc because it does not reflect professional, ethical practices.

Tattoos are heavily associated with crimes and illicit activity, something that is detrimental to the majority of professional industries.

How many of you would have high regard for a health practicioner (doctor, psychologist etc) covered in tattoos? Or a lawyer?

Never heard of FYL either, but looking at the "SS" rune on the side of his head, it would be safe to assume it's not something like "Friendly Youth League" ;).

:)

And as your edit confirms, that was your assumption. :)

And feel free to continue with your banal attempts o insult. Unlike many, my finger isn't constantly hovering over the RTM button :p

Last edited:
How many of you would have high regard for a health practicioner (doctor, psychologist etc) covered in tattoos? Or a lawyer?

I quite agree with your thoughts above, however here's a true story.

Father in law lives half a mile away, alone, and collapsed at home. Fortunately 2 mins later a neighbour popped round and discovered. Immediately called 999 then called us. For some reason I was "working from home" that day, so bombed round there, admittedly ignoring the speed limits. (that's a whole different thread)

Paramedics turned up same time as I did (by that time regained consciousness) and whilst doing an ECG, I couldn't help notice that one had full sleeve tattoos. I was chatting to him but couldn't help staring at his arms, and yes was probably thinking the same as some comments on here.... how unprofessional etc.

Naturally he asked what I was looking at, and did it bother me?
"Not in the slightest, I am just trying to read the latin script and work out what it means."
Turned out very highly educated and very fluent in Latin.

Oh, and he was/is bloody brilliant at his job!

But again a paramedic is different to a health practicioner, a good friend of mine has a tattoo for every person who he has saved in the 26 years he has worked as a paramedic. It is his way of reminding himself why he continues to do his job when he does have the rare but unfortunate occassion of being unable to save someone.

There are some very sentimental and lovely reasons for them, but I agree with others in relation to excessive tattoos showing a lack of restraint/self control.

Ultimately, as it is not something that you are born with or unable to prevent, (like skin colour, skin conditions, disabilities etc), therefore I don't believe it is something that can be put in the category for discrimination.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Perhaps that is an Australian thing?

We are advised to take notice of things like tattoos and conspicuous markings on persons. You're more likely to be pulled over if you ride motorcycles and have tattoos (and heaven forbid you ride with friends), they're used as identifiers for crimes for gang members etc.

I grew up in country New South Wales here in Australia. Frankly it is a hugely popular viewpoint over here.

Oh and please excuse the typo, the original post should have said criminals.

Last edited:
Really? When did this happen?

I'm not a fan of tattoos, but I don't think I would make that association!

I would. Reading the Wikipedia article on tattoos, they are heavily associated with criminals in China, Japan, Russia and American gangs. As for the non-criminals I'm sure the fashion will pass.

I would. Reading the Wikipedia article on tattoos, they are heavily associated with criminals in China, Japan, Russia and American gangs. As for the non-criminals I'm sure the fashion will pass.

Oh well, if Wikipedia says it to be so.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back