Should I be worried? (Spider)

Maybe a False Widow?.....................in which case get "the man" in to sort it out!

One thing for sure if it is you don't want a bite :(

How big is it in millimetres roughly. The photo makes it look huge but im guessing it is quite small.

More Googling and it does look IMO like a Cardinal Spider.....................pattern and leg bands look about right but have yet to find a photo that shows the orange underbelly.

Though the colours and leg bands on yours are very distinct compared to others I can find?

Lovely looking spider and a nice find.
Can I use your photo to get a ID ?

Lovely looking spider and a nice find.
Can I use your photo to get a ID ?
I'm always interested in knowing what's at the other end of my lens :) I should have used a smaller aperture - f5.6 wasn't enough!

I'm always interested in knowing what's at the other end of my lens :) I should have used a smaller aperture - f5.6 wasn't enough!
Go back and get another shot :)

I got a reply back from the FB insects ID group, it came back as a widow spider [emoji888] not sure if it is a male or a female atm.
Here's the sp, Latrodectus.sp
If you Google that you may be able to find out more info.

I got a reply back from the FB insects ID group, it came back as a widow spider [emoji888] not sure if it is a male or a female atm.

That does sound worrying!!!

If not native to the UK is it a notifiable species if do so who to???

I`m not convinced because from this pic it seems to have the color on its belly and more near its face / head.
I just looked a hundreds of pics of different widows and types of widows and I found zero photos of any widow spider with color near the face / head area at all.

I`m not convinced because from this pic it seems to have the color on its belly and more near its face / head.
I just looked a hundreds of pics of different widows and types of widows and I found zero photos of any widow spider with color near the face / head area at all.
You could be right and maybe it's not a widow. The photo the op posted is not that great, will he go back for another shot? I wonder.

You could be right and maybe it's not a widow. The photo the op posted is not that great, will he go back for another shot? I wonder.

Yes, need the OP to go on a mission to get more evidence

It's not where it was now - but close to me all the same - and I should have mentioned I'm in Malaysia - not the UK :) I'm used to seeing huntsmen spiders - big huge things that lurk in corners - but hadn't come across something so colourful before...

Maybe related to this ?, photographed in Bario Malaysia in 2017.
They look different but with different sexes and age the same spider can vary a fair bit I would imagine.
Both have orange on the belly and near the face I think and same type of legs maybe.
It is unidentified in the post that I seen it.

SpiderNiceMealCrop2.jpg

Maybe related to this ?, photographed in Bario Malaysia in 2017.
They look different but with different sexes and age the same spider can vary a fair bit I would imagine.
Both have orange on the belly and near the face I think and same type of legs maybe.
It is unidentified in the post that I seen it.

View attachment 146623
I can certainly see the similarity there... They probably didn't want to get too close either :)

Back