Should we scrap the clock changes?

The north - south issue has always been a bone of contention, with people in the north arguing that children have to go to school in the dark during the winter when the clocks go back

Generally, in Scotland, The daylight gradually reduces through winter until the shortest day of the year on 21 December at around 8.45am to 3.30pm, That would be GMT
If they were still on BST, it wouldn't be light till 09:45.
Are you suggesting a GMT -1 for the winter when it gets light at 7:45 and dark at 14:30?

Generally, in Scotland, The daylight gradually reduces through winter until the shortest day of the year on 21 December at around 8.45am to 3.30pm, That would be GMT
If they were still on BST, it wouldn't be light till 09:45.
Are you suggesting a GMT -1 for the winter when it gets light at 7:45 and dark at 14:30?

Nope, I have no personal experience to go by. Both my kids grew up in South Africa and public transport was limited. Most of us formed lift clubs with other families.

I was just pointing out a concern that always comes up when this issue is discussed.

Working parents delivering & collecting their children to & from school wouldn't thank you for this suggestion......
They prefer their kids to come home in the dark then?
Unless the north has considerably shorter school days then I had, you end up with one or the other. Even down south every year I had several months of coming back from school in the dark (and this wasn't from after school clubs)

Working parents delivering & collecting their children to & from school wouldn't thank you for this suggestion......
Why not start work an hour later if it's that important?

I was just pointing out a concern that always comes up when this issue is discussed.
And I was just pointing out that its a non argument :)

My granddaughter starts school at 9am and finishes at 3:10pm so she arrives at school and leaves her school in daylight under the current system. She lives in NE England, she would be coming home in the dark if the system was changed

Last edited:
Why not start work an hour later if it's that important?
Hmm.
Start school and hour later. Makes sense.
Start work an hour later. Also makes sense.

I wonder if there was a way to simplify it and make sure everything started an hour later? :)

My granddaughter starts school at 9am and finishes at 3:10pm so she arrives at school and leaves her school in daylight under the current system. She lives in NE England, she would be coming home in the dark if the system was changed
She would only be coming home in the dark, if the school kept its current opening times, to the detriment of the kids, despite the system changing. Lots of institutions already have seasonal opening times to suit their pupils. Not some system that is a compromise, trying, ineffectively, to suit all latitudes.

For the second time in my life I totally forgot the clocks had changed last night. I noticed a post of FB saying how seamless it is in modern life and remembered it had seemed darker than normal when I woke up.

Yep. My phone, computer and wristwatch all adjusted even though I forgot. Even my central heating knew to change. Just the old fashioned cooker clock to set. Oh and the car probably.

Best of all, I didn't go to bed in a panic last night worrying which clocks may or may not change.

FWIW at this latitude, dawn yesterday was 05:23. We changed the clocks last night so it was 06:22 this morning. It will be 05:22 on the 9th of May - it takes a shade over 5 weeks to counteract the clock change.

FWIW at this latitude, dawn yesterday was 05:23. We changed the clocks last night so it was 06:22 this morning. It will be 05:22 on the 9th of May - it takes a shade over 5 weeks to counteract the clock change.
Yep ( I work mostly outside) Just after I got natural light to work by, its now re-set again for the next month or so :rolleyes:

I posted this in the joke section but thought it might be worth re-iterating as some people still seem confused ..

55680229_10156055778713199_4423555580300361728_n.jpg

Did you know that we would actually get the same number of hours of darkness, regardless of what we do to the clocks? It sounds like you didn't.
But we don't get the same amount of sleep.

Gets dark at 7pm -> feel tired by 10pm -> naturally go to sleep at 11pm -> wake up 7am for work (or get waken up by children)
Gets dark at 10pm -> don't feel tired at 11pm -> 0am still awake -> still have to wake up at 7am for work (or kids)

Your solution of pushing everything back an hour just means it's easier to not change the clock, everyone still lives on the same time and no time changing confusion.

But we don't get the same amount of sleep.
But the option is there ;)
TBH its a bit like Jet lag, It takes a couple of days to settle back into a rhythm.
Well it does me anyway.

But as before leave the damned clocks alone, 113 years is long enough to be buggering about with them surely?

But as before leave the damned clocks alone, 113 years is long enough to be buggering about with them surely?

I didn't realise you were THAT old. ;)

Der.....working parents would start and finish work later/earlier as well..............:banghead:
As I have said earlier, not every working parent has the luxury of choosing their start and end times for work. Self employed people may have that option, those (for example people responsible for opening up shops, cafes, offices & other places of work) have to open for their customers or lose business.

I second keeping it UTC/GMT.

During BST, it only gets dark at 9pm is stupid. Human need the darkness to wind-down and sleep better. Early bird gets the worm.
Personally i really like the late evenings in the summer. Would much rather a 930pm sunset than a 3 something sunrise.

Just leave it as GMT. Just as I was enjoying not travelling to work in the dark for a change, clocks changed and it is dark again.

I'm absolutely fine with the clock change twice a year, I don't see the point of 3.something sunrises in the summer when that hour of daylight is far more useful in the evening.

I mean we've been doing it since WW1 one way or another, so it obviously works for us a country.

Back