Shoveler Duck & Female Pochard

Very detailed,Roger.

I came across this after some efforts to see how the project was going. First time I’ve seen a sketch.There was some opposition to a roof terrace in relation to incoming migrant birds/wildfowl but obviously it’s going ahead with that terrace. Holden to come down soon and the replacement completed ‘in the Autumn’..a somewhat nebulous time line but I was told it will be a bit further east from Holden... 100m maybe. The lift will be handy lol.

https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/experience/estuary-tower-hide/

Very detailed,Roger.

I came across this after some efforts to see how the project was going. First time I’ve seen a sketch.There was some opposition to a roof terrace in relation to incoming migrant birds/wildfowl but obviously it’s going ahead with that terrace. Holden to come down soon and the replacement completed ‘in the Autumn’..a somewhat nebulous time line but I was told it will be a bit further east from Holden... 100m maybe. The lift will be handy lol.

https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/experience/estuary-tower-hide/

Thanks John.
Yes I can see why there was a need to replace the Holden Tower but I fear the photography opportunities will be severely limited with an open top.
Sadly, I fear the work will affect much of the area along the Holden Walkway :(

Thanks John.
Yes I can see why there was a need to replace the Holden Tower but I fear the photography opportunities will be severely limited with an open top.
Sadly, I fear the work will affect much of the area along the Holden Walkway :(

I think the laws regarding access for disabled people have played a major part regarding the left side of Holden walkway and the new tower. You think incoming birds/wildfowl will steer well clear of the tower,then due to people being in sight on the roof terrace ? Sounds a correct assumption, that’s why we’re kept out of sight inside hides. It will soon become moe of a theme park,really.

Just an update to the last posts in this thread - the new Estuary Tower does indeed have an open roof terrace and this could affect the number of birds close to the hide, it does however give an expanded and elevated view across the estuary and surrounding land (quite spectacular) ... there is some opportunity for photography to the front of the terrace but also some high-glazed areas to the side and rear making photography difficult at those points.
The new covered area (next floor down) does have opening windows and improved seating to front and sides so photographers are catered for on this section of the hide, the trees/bushes in front of the hide remain for (hopefully) continued visiting by small birds.
Due to open mid-November and will no doubt attract a great deal of attention my concerns have been lessened ... time will tell. :)

Back