Shoveler

Edit My Images
Yes
A shot of a Shoveler in flight from Saturday

Still coming to grips with the best settings for the D4

D4 - 500/4 + 1.4TC - f7.1 1/1250 sec +1.0EV

447_052.jpg

@Martyn...

Is this the one you referred to in the nuthatch thread Martyn?

It looks to be a large crop due to the lack of finer detail and over sharpened. There's a distinct halo all round the bird, particularly noticeable above and around the head and lower body. A tad central too but the exposure look fine and the sky has held some colour.

It looks to be a large crop due to the lack of finer detail and over sharpened. There's a distinct halo all round the bird, particularly noticeable above and around the head and lower body. A tad central too but the exposure look fine and the sky has held some colour.

Cheers Brash I shall see if there is anything I can do with the original

This is a lovely capture and composition and colour, but doesn't the fine white outline to the bird suggest over sharpening? Whatever the cause, I find that it creates a cut-out effect as if a different sky had been Photoshop'd in.

I hope you won't be offended by my comment - I'm just being totally honest in my opinion.

Further to the comments above I have revisited the original image, I have eased back on the crop, I have not made any exposure adjustment, I have not applied any sharpening, this is basically as shot, cropped and converted to .jpeg

I did not think that I had over sharpened the first image, the "halo" I believe is a natural effect because of the iridescent colouring of the bird, and the sun striking it square on against a plain blue sky.

Basically aside from cropping and resizing this is how it came out of the camera

It does looks better easing back on the crop, and backing it up in the frame.

447_052a.jpg

Last edited:
The white 'halo' seen particularly around the head and neck has disappeared on this latest version you have posted.

The white 'halo' seen particularly around the head and neck has disappeared on this latest version you have posted.

That could be monitor brightness Robin, I run my monitors at or below 50% brightness and I do not see it on that 1st image, but others have so it must be there.

But it could also be something to do with where I hosted the image (Picasa) rather than my usual Photobucket, which I used for the later shots.

As an aside you should never worry that you would offend me, both you and Brash made an observation, it was something I had not seen which gave me the opportunity to correct the issue.

As an aside you should never worry that you would offend me, both you and Brash made an observation, it was something I had not seen which gave me the opportunity to correct the issue.

....Thumbs up :)

However, I like to think that my posted observations are usually less brash than Master Brash's :D. But he's not wrong.

Back