Show Jumping

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Used 600mm Sigma for the show - a fantastic lens but very heavy over a long period of time, thankfully I had a monopod to lean it on, still heavy lugging both bits of kit around a few rings though (about a size of a field or so).

Show Jumper by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

2.. Fair play to the little one's jumping. Think this little madam will be a hell of a horse rider by the time she reaches her late teens if she rides like this.

3.. haha, her expression lol

5.. I would have liked this but face not clearly seen unfortunately

Thanks for popping in

Hi Carl, I've been mixing with some event togs over the last few months, apparently the back legs need to be on the floor (no 6) as it's not flattering to the horse been caught in mid air so I'm told :)

Last edited:
Hi Carl, I've been mixing with some event togs over the last few months, apparently the back legs need to be on the floor (no 6) as it's not flattering to the horse been caught in mid air so I'm told :)
I'd heard that - then I had heard they want "merry go round" type jump (as above), so while I was in Tesco, I picked up Horse-and-Hound and had a gander through there and they were the merry-go-around type photos (they were bloody good photos too, to be honest). I do have photos like that though, most of them end up back legs down

_MG_1443 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_1147 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_1066 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Completely confused about what people want though :thinking:

Hi Carl, tbh the height of the jumps for the lower classes that your shooting make it very difficult to get a shot of the horse in a nice position as usually the front feet are already on their way down before the back feet have even the left the ground. As the jumps get bigger the horses make a far better shape as they need to stretch that bit further. The other thing is that riders will also be fussy about some things that are completely out of your control, example; if the rider is looking down as they go over the jump, they may not like the picture because they will have been taught to always look ahead or for the next fence. Another example might be if their (the riders) leg is not in the correct position. Stuff that we would never even think of and have no way of controlling. My wife show jumps and i guarantee when i take photos of her jumping, the photos i pick as my favourites (from a photography stand point) will not be her favourites lol

Back