Other Macro Show us your macro rig

Hardly much of a macro set up. Canon 450D, 18-55mm lens, in built flash... :( But until I get some money to but external flashes and a macro lens it'll have to do!

SetUp.jpg

I was having a tidy out in the loft and took a couple of pool trophies down to clean the shelf they were on. Inside one of the trophies was a dead spider.

Curiosity drove me to see how well my lenses did at shooting macro...

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

Didn't have any room to get in with a flashgun, hence cr@ppy lighting.

Have just linked to images in case anybody has a fear of spiders.

ONE | TWO

Cool images taken with that set up MC... (y)

Although the 'dead' Spider is not at all scarey... :D

It is probably only the carapace though and a bigger, scarier Spider is lurking up there somewhere... :cautious:

...waiting to GET YOU now it has shed it's old skin... :naughty:

:p

Welcome to the forum Stoo, the spider is a spent male Giant House Spider (Tegenaria domestica) by the looks of it.

Ven it still has its carapace intact and the legs folded under the body suggests it is a dead one. Now the large female that killed it after mating is the one to watch out for :D

Cool images taken with that set up MC... (y)

Although the 'dead' Spider is not at all scarey...

It is probably only the carapace though and a bigger, scarier Spider is lurking up there somewhere...

...waiting to GET YOU now it has shed it's old skin...

TY Venomator.... comforting to know :eek:

Spiders don't bother me... I just know people who really freak out even at an image of a spider :runaway:

Welcome to the forum Stoo, the spider is a spent male Giant House Spider (Tegenaria domestica) by the looks of it.

Ven it still has its carapace intact and the legs folded under the body suggests it is a dead one. Now the large female that killed it after mating is the one to watch out for

Ty for the welcome Ajophotog... it was just one of those evenings when I felt compelled to experiment with my old 10D... you know when you have one of those 'ideas' and then you end up fashioning up a ghetto solution :LOL:

Well here's my updated setup pic. I saw the bracket Robbo had bought from flash in the pan and i got one too :) not had a chance to test it properly yet (on a live subject) can't wait for the spring time :D:D

I was bored tonight and as there is not a live thing about at the moment :razz: it was time to test my extreme(ish) macro setup that I have now to the max!

This is my Setup
D300
Reversed 50mm
eBay Extension Tubes
BPM Macro Bellows

I also have a 50mm Sigma EX Macro lens I have been known to use on occasion :)

98efk9.jpg

Last edited:
That all looks and sounds really mean John... :eek: ...

...but you've omitted to show us any results matey... :naughty:

Here's my infamous "bubble tank" :

4309416687_34a5da2ab3.jpg

Used for these shots:

p791979860-3.jpg

p892006395-3.jpg

Basically the glass out of two old 6x4 frames, some silicone sealant and a bulldog clip!

Carl

Here's my infamous "bubble tank" :

Basically the glass out of two old 6x4 frames, some silicone sealant and a bulldog clip!

Carl
I do the same but I just use a strip of aquarium air tube and bulldog clips to hold the glass and air tube sandwich. I use it to photograph water insects also plus as it comes apart it is easy to clean ;)
You can use larger tubing for a wider tank too ;)

Insects in my set up.
1397342248_95dd0612ce_o.jpg

1399081732_723ba0610a_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alby

They are fantastic! I really do hate you some times! lol

Carl, cheers for sharing that didnt realise it was a nice simple ingenious set up :)

Now all my bits have finally arrived from the other side of the world, here they are:

4335042734_13f6448e2c.jpg

4334302733_217f9d5943.jpg

4334304019_9357122541.jpg

First (rushed) pics are here. Now just need lots of practice and help ;)

Thanks to Robbo for his advice and inspiration

Just took delivery of:

Tamron 90mm F2.8 - £190
AF Extension tubes - £90
Flash-bracket & Sony cord - £29 (thanks to Graham)

Just need to make a 'blue peter' diffuser.:)

P1010248.jpg

That bracket looks excellent, my current set up:

2zhqh36.jpg

2eq42hi.jpg

Excuse the phone pics, only other camera I've got.

What a great thread with some wonderful ideas. I love the idea/set-up for photographing the wee beasties underwater.
me im new to this forum and love going though all the posts for hints and tips, especially in the macro section.

Kay

I see you are using my bulldog clip and airtube method Robbo, it is by far the best as you can clean it easily ;)

I like that bubble tank idea.. gonna have to see what I can find... as for the bulldog clips Robbo... quite amazing in and of themselves ;)...

Well this is a quick set up I knocked up today out of bits I found laying around my dad garage

While attempting collisions I soon learned that adjusting the water drip rate wobbled and adjusted my set up, which in turn altered the focus on the shots which I never realised till it was too late!

So I made this with screws n araldite (cant go wrong! lol) and use a small weight on the base to make sure it doest move at all!

The valve is glued onto the wood bit to keep it sturdy when adjusting, that was the main problem I was having.

drop.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, here's my current lighting setup, I used to use a Boling "C" bracket from FITP but since the mpe-65 extends so much it was a pretty unwieldy system. I'm now using a 30cm Novoflex flexible arm (from Speedgraphic) and the base plate from the "C" bracket:

Off camera
4560404961_b880440054.jpg

Bigger

Mounted, the arm is so stiff you can use it as a handhold which is VERY useful!
4561033310_59abc8cb97.jpg

Bigger

Carl

Okay, updated mine with a ghetto ring diffuser made from an old flower pot, a clip on diffuser, double sided tape and some aluminium foil:

Finished article and flash diffuser:
4696347052_71bb972db8.jpg

Bigger

On camera:
4696347288_05c918c548.jpg

Bigger

From the front:
4696347554_3898fc97f6.jpg

Bigger

Basically cut the top and bottom off a flower pot (try to avoid those really flimsey ones), cut a hole in the side that your diffuser will poke through and then line it with aluminium foil.

For a single flash setup it gives a far more even light source though it will give odd looking catchlights on anything really refective (water droplets for example) but works great for insects etc.

Carl

Mine:

40D, MP-E65, MT-24EX and DIY Diffuser.

My best yet cheapest diffuser, EVER.
4439128867_af17dd62de.jpg

Sample images:

4703323168_7d0e95a5a8.jpg

4687162178_6c5552636d.jpg

4680313633_8c65e94361.jpg

More info in "My Macro Rig"

Last edited:
Who need an expensive off camera flash? (actually I wouldn't mind one, but I'd have to get one with an optical trigger to slave off my pop-up as I don't have a hot shoe).

Here's my home made set up which works quite well...

4687650664_444f7a20fd.jpg

4687649660_91ac7c4b7d.jpg

I normally have a paper towel taped over the front to act as a diffuser.

Is there something symbolic about the name "Fishbait", and the fact that it's the only post by a person that joined a week ago that hasn't posted since? It has hooked me a little bit, I must admit. :D

CReid, I've gone for a similar set-up to your old one with the C-bracket at the moment, so thanks for posting up. I'm only using a Raynox at the moment though. Apologies for not having any photos of it, but I don't have a second camera (until Monday, at least).

Back