Other Macro Show us your macro rig

Wow, truly awesome setups here! I love macro shots but currently dont have any good "kit" for my 350d, so im on the hunt now! :)

Some inspirational diy setups in here, deffo have to try my hand at making up my own macro rig soon!

4971545729_79907f9025.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
4971545055_a5544b62c6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

You don't need expensive equipment!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jusbrown/

Last edited:
I'm quite impressed with some of your "rigs", I'm just starting out, so thought I would "try before I spend" ...so far so good ............ maybe it's good to keep it cheap, surely the big set ups can't be THAT much better....:shrug:

9jks4p.jpg

I'm quite impressed with some of your "rigs", I'm just starting out, so thought I would "try before I spend" ...so far so good ............ maybe it's good to keep it cheap, surely the big set ups can't be THAT much better....:shrug:

9jks4p.jpg

Show us some results Martin ;)

Where can I get one of these brackets?

Been looking every place I can think of! :(

Try FITP aka flash in the pan a dealer on here :)

Try FITP aka flash in the pan a dealer on here :)

I've had a look at FITP's thread and I don't think he sells them any more (unless I'm being particularly stupid this afternoon).
He's also changed his policy so no longer takes order from members with <100 posts.

:(

I've had a look at FITP's thread and I don't think he sells them any more (unless I'm being particularly stupid this afternoon).
He's also changed his policy so no longer takes order from members with <100 posts.

:(

Ah, Okay! try amazon .... Linky

You'll also need something like this

My newish macro studio setup.

<snip>

5139626865_5e3d2d5e3f_b.jpg

Interesting set-up; and I, too, would be interested to know what got that poor camera & lens all coloured-up.

More interesting, and odd, why is there a weird pink inflated condom on the floor?

Ah, Okay! try amazon .... Linky

You'll also need something like this

Thanks very much. :)

Found this: C-Shape bracket and wondered about using that with the above ballhead item. Would get the flash above the lens a bit more, rather than just to the side.

Also wondered about just getting two of those ballhead supports, and then stacking them on top of the camera's hotshoe? I would think there would be enough length from the two stacked supports to get in front of the lens, and it would have a good amount of flexibility.

Hmm... options!
Think I'll probably just grab two of the ballheads and a straight bracket, that way I can try a variety of positions and heights.

Cheers for all the help. :)

I'd be interested in the C bracket too, looks pretty versatile.

Same thing but cheaper:) Linky

Thanks very much. :)

Found this: C-Shape bracket and wondered about using that with the above ballhead item. Would get the flash above the lens a bit more, rather than just to the side.

Also wondered about just getting two of those ballhead supports, and then stacking them on top of the camera's hotshoe? I would think there would be enough length from the two stacked supports to get in front of the lens, and it would have a good amount of flexibility.

Hmm... options!
Think I'll probably just grab two of the ballheads and a straight bracket, that way I can try a variety of positions and heights.

Cheers for all the help. :)

Worth a try I guess :) but somehow I doubt stacking two of those ball heads together would be very stable? Let us know if it works :cool:

Last edited:
I've asked one of the sellers about the measurements to see if it will fit DSLRs.

They said "The diameter of the cirle is 11.7cm. And the length of holding camera is 9.8cm"

Last edited:
This...

Gets this...

Just saw Justins softbox and decided to make my own. Will let you know how it works out and I have made a template and although it looks a little pants it fits the SB-600 like a glove.

Without Softbox

With Softbox

Last edited:
One of a very dead fly with my new home made softbox

Last edited:
Holy Moly !!!

That's a bit close. Glad they're not actually that size !

By buggery!
Do you think it has mascara? :)

Where can I get one of these brackets?

Been looking every place I can think of! :([/QUOTE

Are you talking about the brackets holding the flash?? If so, they are cheap ball heads from China stacked on top of each.
The bracket from the body to the stacked ball heads is just a piece of scrap aluminium, these can also be found at B&Q...

Last edited:
I've got a couple of set ups:
I just got my macro lens and finally found a use for an enlarger I rescued from a skip!
5283133233_8c2c590c04_o.jpg

5283074543_79085cc284_o.png

5283674504_e35dd1c161_o.jpg

I'm quite happy with the set up, only thing is, I have to take the photo with the room lights off so the coloured light from the enlarger is seen.

I've also got my sturdy cardboard set up for water droplets:
5354523618_43379c6afb_o.jpg

Which after some RAW conversion gets me some decent results:

5431434559_e1f86ab7ed_o.png

5353908707_efb441c47f_o.jpg

102_3552.jpg

Sony Alpha 390
sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens
Marumi f14 dedicated ring flash
Cullman Carbon fibre tripod

Les :D

Kenko Extention tubes on order (y)

That is because the aperture is wide open by default. Canon uses a motor in the lens to control aperture, so if the aperture still works on that lens, you can try mounting it normally on the body, selecting an aperture that will give you more DOF (eg: f/10 or so) then pressing and holding the DOF preview button and removing the lens, keeping the DOF button pressed. The lens will now be stuck at f/10, or whatever you chose, so when you reverse mount you should get better DOF.

this is brill advice. i had bought some non electrical extension tubes and they were useless with 50mm1.8 cause the dof was non existant.

Back