Other Macro Show us your macro rig

Blimey, I'm only just getting into the whole Macro thing, but your set ups are something else!

Impresssive!

Zoe

I use a canon 40D and sigma 150mm.

IMG_2707es.JPG

As often as I can, I just shoot in natural light on a tripod, but recently I've also started using a flashgun and lumiquest softbox, which lets me get shots in situations where natural light just isn't practical.

I've also recently been using a pentax 50mm prime reversed onto the 150mm for more magnification, with the flash on a bracket and using a small 'tent' of foam paper for further diffusion.
With this setup I shoot handheld. The tripod is just too cumbersome for such high magnification. Maybe with a geared head and a good macro rail I would use the tripod, but with a simple ballhead it's just impractical
IMG_2701es.JPG

Which can get results like this:

5607275836_775717bb72_z.jpg

5375976440_aef9507286_z.jpg

Last edited:
not really a rig as such, just my water drop setup, was very rushed, will try to get better results tomorrow. This would be a very poor mans setup :puke:

The result:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The setup by fishbait is described on nikoncafe.com I found it by searching on there for flash brackets. It certainly looks a technical setup. The rail directly above the ball head is electronically controlled for stacking shots.

Mick.

ziggy©;3698052 said:
What is the softbox you are using there and which flash bracket?

Its a 'Pixco' Diffuser (eBay £5) and a 'Boling' C Bracket (eBay £13.50) (y)

Looking at these leads me to one conclusion....
...I've got alot of saving to do!! :LOL:

Won this bellows on ebay last week, been trying it on a 50D with Canon 50mm 1.8 FD lens

photostream

Now looking at ring flashes and m42 lenses.

Last edited:
Ok images are not showing, but open ok in a new tab - what have I missed? Tried grabbing the link on Flickr, but still nothing.

Last edited:
This was my macro setup when I was using film:
rkm+camera_02.jpg

and this is the image that resulted:
n_m_orchid_small.jpg

This is my current setup:
macro_setup_7d.jpg

Bought the Metz flash only recently and still experimenting to get the best results. Here's one of the first images with the setup:
dandelion_flower.jpg

Last edited:
I have just started thinking about getting into Micro photography and then saw this thread and went WoW..............what’s with all the flashes and stuff. I honestly thought it was just a case of snapping on a Micro Lens and away you go happy snapping..............how wrong was I :):):)

I have just started thinking about getting into Micro photography and then saw this thread and went WoW..............what’s with all the flashes and stuff. I honestly thought it was just a case of snapping on a Micro Lens and away you go happy snapping..............how wrong was I :):):)

If only it was that simple :LOL:

yep- thats about how we do it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les (y)

Now Im finally staring to get some results, I thought I'd show my setup.

5782244299_d22ff9ae0c_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

NikonD90.
Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro.
Kenko extension tubes.
SB600 flash.
Lumiquest Softbox.
Polystyrene block, duck tape and laccy bands.

A couple of pics:

5782108535_a96dfcb512_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5772176259_039cb7403c_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

simon ess said:
Now Im finally staring to get some results, I thought I'd show my setup.

[/URL][/IMG]

NikonD90.
Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro.
Kenko extension tubes.
SB600 flash.
Lumiquest Softbox.
Polystyrene block, duck tape and laccy bands.

A couple of pics:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Are you not blocking the lens with the diffuser..?

ziggy©;3724710 said:
Are you not blocking the lens with the diffuser..?

No. It's surprising how much of the lens you can cover in the vertical plane. Well, I was surprised anyway.

I will post you some more pics tomorrow as im out at a family thing tonight and 12 hours shift tomorrow..

but I use a wedding bar sold by FITP under the advertisers section, 22pound I think or 20!

has a ball and socket joint which allows the flash to be moved near enough where ever you need it.

like I say will do some pics tomorrow or tonight if I can

Who is FITP please? ;)

EDIT - Never mind i worked it out :)

Last edited:
Okay, here's my current lighting setup, I used to use a Boling "C" bracket from FITP but since the mpe-65 extends so much it was a pretty unwieldy system. I'm now using a 30cm Novoflex flexible arm (from Speedgraphic) and the base plate from the "C" bracket:

Off camera
4560404961_b880440054.jpg

Bigger

Mounted, the arm is so stiff you can use it as a handhold which is VERY useful!
4561033310_59abc8cb97.jpg

Bigger

Carl

Where can i find a bracket like that one?

I am also interested in making a version of Carl's creation. I can see the arm on the speedgraphic website but i am not certain what needs to go in either end. If Carl or anyone else can explain what is required it would be much appreciated please.

Many thanks,

Tracey

Great thread and thanks to all that have posted their set ups. It has given me a starting point for when I find a macro lens.

Bill

Wonderful idea Alby!

Here's my gubbins.

Either a D3 or D200 with reverse 24 or 50mm with SB-800 mounted via off shoe cord, Cullmann ballhead and Manfrotto macro bracket.

It looks alot more complicated than it it is but no where near as interesting as Dogfish_magnet's D300 set up! :D

3749158736_c40db079cc_o.jpg

3749158442_ac20054ba4_o.jpg

Example shots:
3722727433_0292f33cb2_o.jpg

3731513205_89238cb0dd_o.jpg

Example with the onboard flash which I usually diffuse with a piece of milk carton (y)
3720912150_b49b755813_o.jpg

Example shot taken with above set up:
2850796016_a06685f469.jpg

Forgive the ignorance of a nooby, but I have seen your post and tried to imitate it as close as I could by reverse mounting my kit lens, the only problem I have now is that the camera (D60) advises me I have no l;ens fitted and will not allow me to take a shot. Can you pls point me in the right direction??

Some amzing pieces of kit in this thread.
I have been thinking about doing some macro for some time now.

I have an EOS 7D, Sigma 17-70, EF 70-300 IS USM, and EX580 MKII.

So what macro lens should I start off with.
I might buy the Boling C bracket as it is flexible so I can use it for different angles.

Some amzing pieces of kit in this thread.
I have been thinking about doing some macro for some time now.

I have an EOS 7D, Sigma 17-70, EF 70-300 IS USM, and EX580 MKII.

So what macro lens should I start off with.
I might buy the Boling C bracket as it is flexible so I can use it for different angles.

My lens is a Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX macro, a true 1 to 1 lens -

I would suggest this, unless you want a Canon? they have a nice 100mm f2.8, Ive never used this lens but have heard good things about them
all down to budget I guess!

Les

Back