Other Macro Show us your macro rig

Finally got me a ringflash the Meike MK14 and while its a lovely piece of equip Im starting to wonder how to diffuse its light...... any ideas that doesn't involve surrounding it with toilet paper?

For the past 2 years I have worked with a metz flash, flat bracket, off camera cord and largish softbox..... the light it gives is spectacular but this set up has its obvious disadvantages.... hope I don't have to revert back to this setup if I don't find a way to diffuse the ringflash :help:

Finally got me a ringflash the Meike MK14 and while its a lovely piece of equip Im starting to wonder how to diffuse its light...... any ideas that doesn't involve surrounding it with toilet paper?

For the past 2 years I have worked with a metz flash, flat bracket, off camera cord and largish softbox..... the light it gives is spectacular but this set up has its obvious disadvantages.... hope I don't have to revert back to this setup if I don't find a way to diffuse the ringflash :help:

Thanks for bringing this up. I would also like to see what other people have done about this.

I would try using some vellum over the front of the ring flash to try diffusing the light. Has worked on my non r1 macro flash.

You'll have to excuse the phone picture, I don't have another camera. This is my rather simple set up I'm using for my macro shots at the moment. Hoping to get the flash off camera when I have the money for it, and add some extension tubes at some point.

macro_rig_by_spitfire900-d6a6aoo.jpg

Last edited:
hi all I am about to order the mt24ex to go along with my 650d and canon 100is macro
Before ordering please has anyone any knowledge or experience of this combo and would the Gary Fong puffers or stolen be a good way forward for diffusion (I know I need the 67c adaptor) any ideas greatly received, mike

Hi

Great thread ,so many ideas and jury rig kit thanks for sharing , just building up some kit for macro work.

Like the idea of the Raynox DCR-250 Macro/Close-Up Lens Attachment to add to my Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens , was also looking at a ring light but unsure if I could fit both at the same time , what do you think ?

Thanks Alan

Looking at picking up one of these two:
JJC LED-48A 48 Piece Macro Ring Lighting Unit - Whole Ring, Left Ring or Right Ring
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-LED-48A...JJC+LED-48A+48+Piece+Macro+Ring+Lighting+Unit

JJC LED-48B 48 Piece Macro Ring Lighting Unit - Whole Ring, Inner Ring or Outer Ring. For lenses with 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 62mm, 67mm thread
http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-LED-48B...O/ref=pd_luc_mrairec_03_05_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi
I think I put this post in the wrong place so , sorry folks seen responses to macro questions in another section , i`ll take it there instead.
Cheers AL

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of building a light rig for use with my Tamron 90mm on a D7000. I have an SB-900 and a YongNuo TTL cable which works fine and I have also got a Pixco mini softbox from ebay to use. Not had a chance to try this yet but it's clearly only worth the £2.60 it cost, will probably get one of the lumiquest items at some point.

Currently I am trying to work out how to mount the SB-900 and was thinking of a friction arm into the tripod socket? Has anyone tried this? If so will this work okay and would I want a 7 or 11" arm? I would think either will do the job with the 7" not getting in the way as much.

hi
new member, impressive kit , not got all my kit yet so im really interested in any thing with duck tape, sounds odd but if it wks im in !!!!!

I`ve just got myself a speedlite 430 ii for macro and am looking at making a diffuser for it but looking at other peoples ideas I`m wondering how the flash reads the situation ttl when it`s got a large diffuser in the way.

I`ve just got myself a speedlite 430 ii for macro and am looking at making a diffuser for it but looking at other peoples ideas I`m wondering how the flash reads the situation ttl when it`s got a large diffuser in the way.
Simple, macro is best done manual I think so, set up your camera around f11 and 1/200 at iso 100 and put the flash in manual also and dialin more or less flash as required. A couple of test shot should sort you out. ;)

Thanks for the reply, I`ll do that, another question , I have a camlink tpcarbon28 tripod which doesn`t have a tilting boom/extension arm and I`m considering getting one ,but I`m a bit concerned with the weight of my 1d mk2 on the end of it

Depends on the subject matter - but I'd be going hand held for insects etc.

my setup I know the thread is really about flash setups but I don't do flash couldn't resist :D
In seriousness Im going to give flash another go next season I've got a 430 ex flash and there is some excellent set ups in this thread for inspiration:)
Sigma 105 and 550D
manfrotto 190cxpro3 tripod and 322rc2 head brilliant combination very stable and quick to adjust
apologies for crappy phone pics

20140113_115519.jpg

20140113_130117.jpg

Last edited:
Hi!
Nice thread, I'm impressed.
Here is my new DIY 'complex diffuser'.

nat01.jpg

k02.jpg

k01.jpg

The main feature is independence of all four outlet channels. It's hard to explain in few words how the adapter works. But if you're interested in, more info you can find at: http://flashadapter.blogspot.com/
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi!
Nice thread, I'm impressed.
Here is my new DIY 'complex diffuser'.

nat01.jpg

k02.jpg

k01.jpg

The main feature is independence of all four outlet channels. It's hard to explain in few words how the adapter works. But if you're interested in, more info you can find at: http://flashadapter.blogspot.com/
Cheers!
Looks like a storm trooper helmet from Star Wars, quite a project.

My jaw just hit the floor. That is without doubt the greatest looking DIY diffuser I have EVER SEEN! I've not seen the results you get with it, but looking at it I may be tempted to angle to top bit further forward slightly, but it still looks amazing. I'm going to have a go at making one. When I am not using it for taking macro shots I can still use it to play Battlestar Galactica :)

that looks amazing :) sure to vaporize anything you shoot.

Last edited:
Here's my table-top rig :)

4 way macro slide (e-bay), DiY framework, 57 LED lamp with diffuser and variable light level.

EOS 5D Mklll + Sigma f/2.8 105mm EX Macro.

I have just acquired (Hong Kong) an adaptor, that attaches to the camera hot-shoe, and raises the lamp up by 30mm and allows it to both tilt, and rotate.

I also have a Nissin MF-18 Ring Flash.

Dave

Last edited:
I recently bought a similar LED lamp which I hope to be able to use for macro video. Not tried it yet though, be interested to here how you find it, along with that hot shoe adaptor.

I've just uploaded my current setu so thought I would share it here:

Tools
by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Click through to flickr for a breakdown of the various components.

Quote (TimmyG): "I recently bought a similar LED lamp which I hope to be able to use for macro video. Not tried it yet though, be interested to here how you find it, along with that hot shoe adaptor."

Tim, I find the light from the lamp is very natural, and with more then enough intensity in-hand, in that for most macro shots, it wouldn't need to be at full brilliance.

I haven't yet used it with the tilt-adapter, but it was clear from using it without, that being able to angle the lamp would be beneficial.

I 'banged off' a quick test shot with the 'setup' as shown in my earlier post, and have attached the image below. No photoshop adjustment, apart from a touch of 'unsharp mask' has been applied.

The colour is very true to the original.

BTW, the speckles on the petals are real, and not noise or sharpening artefacts.

Dave

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just a little something I was using the other week to do a something like 3x life size shot

12621254465_6b8f95a67a_c.jpg

I love seeing the shots where you could pick up the necessary equipment to make them from your local supermarket! That pringles can one really shows how ingenious some solutions can be :)

Here is my rig, I mostly shoot hand held and take the flash off the bracket and move it around with the other hand, I also have a small softbox and snoot that fits on the speedlights. The ring flash is a new addition and I'm still practicing with it.

example of lighting...

Keeping it safe
by mattd85, on Flickr

ring flash.....

Frogs up close
by mattd85, on Flickr

And for those looking to diffuse ring flash here is one idea im gonna try.

http://orionmystery.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/hishams-macro-rig.html?m=1

I started off with a sheet of kitchen roll, but currently use a sheet of vellum paper. I'm thinking of going back to the kitchen roll though...

This thread has been an inspiration.

My table top setup is my Nikon D5100, full set of Kenko extension tubes, Chinon 28-50 zoom set at 28mm fitted in reverse, Nissin flash.
IMG-20140323-00509_zpsd7c4f335.jpg

This is the shot I got from the setup shown
_DSC4381_zps174a92cf.jpg

This is my outdoor setup. Nikon D5100, 36mm Kenko extension tube, Nikon 18-105 kit lens at 105, Nissin flash & diffuser, home made bracket assembly
IMG-20140325-00512_zps2de2947b.jpg

IMG-20140325-00511_zpsa27e8278.jpg

This is one of the first photographs taken with this new rig
13432405873_9886bbd117_b_d.jpg

Just stumbled across this brilliant thread! I have just got a Tamron 90mm Macro for my D7100, I have a SB700 (currently door-less though!) and have seen some amazing shots here! Loving the DIY diffusers! My OH laughed at my yoghurt pot diffuser for the on-board flash that I had to use whilst my SB700 is broken so I hate to think what he will say when he sees my new home made kit!!
Any other good tips for starting out in macro? Do you always need flash? What sort of settings would you start with for say insects in the garden (bees, butterflies etc.)? Do you always need a tripod?

Just stumbled across this brilliant thread! I have just got a Tamron 90mm Macro for my D7100, I have a SB700 (currently door-less though!) and have seen some amazing shots here! Loving the DIY diffusers! My OH laughed at my yoghurt pot diffuser for the on-board flash that I had to use whilst my SB700 is broken so I hate to think what he will say when he sees my new home made kit!!
Any other good tips for starting out in macro? Do you always need flash? What sort of settings would you start with for say insects in the garden (bees, butterflies etc.)? Do you always need a tripod?

I'll answer the easy ones for you Sarah...

Do you always need flash? No, ambient light can be absolutely fine but when you get to 1:1 or higher then it comes in handy.
What sort of settings would you start with for say insects in the garden (bees, butterflies etc.)? Depending if you are using flash, with flash I tend to use 1/200 (flash sync speed) and f11 and up, ISO 100-200 without flash you have to judge based on the available light I'm afraid but don't be too concerned about bumping up ISO to get the faster shutter speeds general rule of thumb aim to have shutter speed the inverse of the focal length of lens. eg 50mm lens 1/50s - 90mm lens 1/100 you can see my settings on my flickr link in signature. Choose a picture and click the i on right hand side.
Do you always need a tripod? Again No, in fact I bought a tripod especially for macro and slide rail I'm yet to use either and currently getting around 2.8:1 magnification.

Any other good tips for starting out in macro? I recommend look around the macro section so many tips but if you are using flash, diffuse diffuse diffuse...

Back