Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

For Household Items - I decided to go with film again. Although less psychedelic this time, I still wanted to go for something slightly unusual. I have a panoramic pinhole camera (a Holga Wide Pinhole Camera) which takes 120 film and produced 6x12 cm negatives with everything equally just out of focus from very near to infinity - perfect for putting the camera properly close to the subject. The problem with these cameras is the long and slow exposures... f133 plus reciprocity resulted in my shortest exposures of ~15 mins, and the longest of about 90 mins... (Film was TriX at 400)

#1 - I had this "good idea" when I was doing a bit of exercise - so our home phys equipment seemed like a perfect first subject

20200529-Household_Objects_Pinhole (3 of 14)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

#2 - recovery was in front of the TV, which has one of our Aloe's just next to it. I always forget how wide this camera is, and yes, that is the tripod you can see at the bottom...

20200529-Household_Objects_Pinhole (5 of 14)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

#3 - and as lock down is easing, we'll be allowed to leave the State again soon, so the travel guides will be coming back in to play!

20200529-Household_Objects_Pinhole (7 of 14)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

#4 - before reminiscing for some of the places we've lived since getting married

20200529-Household_Objects_Pinhole (9 of 14)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

#5 - then dinner time and in to the kitchen!

20200529-Household_Objects_Pinhole (11 of 14)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

#6 - then collapsing in front of the TV again...

20200529-Household_Objects_Pinhole (13 of 14)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

You can see some processing artifacts on #6 - I was experimenting with technique and used the swizzle stick instead of inversions. I've never had these before, and had them on both of the rolls I processed today - back to inversions from now on!

I like them all, but that's a great angle on the first one Alex.
My favourite

Like the image you've chosen, it really made mew look at first glance, to work out what it was. Great use of perspective etc.

Great set of images Alex I think you picked the right one for the main thread although I do like the books too.

They are all very busy but I think the one you put in the main thread would be the one for me

Good set of shots - look like your remote has caught woodworm from the table! Presumably air bubbles - a tap on the bench after agitation might dislodge them.

A brilliant Set of shots here. Look so effective in black and white and really like the unusual angles :clap:

I like them all, but that's a great angle on the first one Alex.
My favourite
Thanks @Cobra - one of the (too many!) podcasts I listen too (probably The Lensless Podcast) we talking about getting closer and closer to your subject with pinhole, so I'm trying to do that more. I was probably less than 10cm from the dumbbells.
Book is the one for me, all are good though.
A lovely set of pinhole shots and I love all. I think your main image #5 is the best for the view angle.
Like the image you've chosen, it really made mew look at first glance, to work out what it was. Great use of perspective etc.
Great set of images Alex I think you picked the right one for the main thread although I do like the books too.
They are all very busy but I think the one you put in the main thread would be the one for me
Thanks all - good to see a lack of consensus [emoji3] It was a toss up between the books and the kitchen implements for me.
Good set of shots - look like your remote has caught woodworm from the table! Presumably air bubbles - a tap on the bench after agitation might dislodge them.
Yep - undoubtedly unfortunately. The tank got a thorough tap between each stage, but even with that, the swizzle sticks method hasn't worked for me. It was a lot less leaky, but that doesn't outweigh the disadvantage of not getting the film right!
A brilliant Set of shots here. Look so effective in black and white and really like the unusual angles
Thank you! Definitely the effect I was going for - so glad it worked!

Last edited:
An interesting set and I really like the angle on the books. The shot you chose did made me look hard a few times to work out what was going on.

You picked right for the main thread. Complicated and busy, but it makes you look a bit harder, which isn't always a bad thing.

I think I may have gone with #3 (books), just because they stand out more / there is less clutter.
You're making me want to play with my pinhole again (but I've lent out the 350D I use it on - don't want to expose the more expensive camera's sensors to the air).

Just catching up!!

Music - Would be great if the music notes related to Light in some way!!
From a distance has a ghostly feel to it.
Also worth having an wired extension cable for a flash at times too.

Colourful - I must admit I didn't get the connection but very clever thinking.
Maybe I should try shooting film to see how it restricts or possibly makes me think more.
Only issue would be if I then got interested its another rabbit hole of photography to get lost in!!

Something Old - Interesting image, gives me hope I could plant something and it might survive given the age of this and it has nobody maintaining it!!
Eyes get drawn a bit into the bottom corner.

Liquid - Image 1 definitely has the feeling of movement which is great . Image 2, its interesting to see where the colour flows possibly providing more emphasis on the movement, though I do not think i could stare at it too long.

A Household Item - All great images, I like the books best, has a feeling of tall buildings to it.

An interesting set and I really like the angle on the books. The shot you chose did made me look hard a few times to work out what was going on.
You picked right for the main thread. Complicated and busy, but it makes you look a bit harder, which isn't always a bad thing.
I think I may have gone with #3 (books), just because they stand out more / there is less clutter.
You're making me want to play with my pinhole again (but I've lent out the 350D I use it on - don't want to expose the more expensive camera's sensors to the air).
There's always film - then you could start playing with smelly chemicals as well ;)
Hi Shugpug, a great set of images, a pleasure to Look at.
Just catching up!!

Music - Would be great if the music notes related to Light in some way!!
From a distance has a ghostly feel to it.
Also worth having an wired extension cable for a flash at times too.

Colourful - I must admit I didn't get the connection but very clever thinking.
Maybe I should try shooting film to see how it restricts or possibly makes me think more.
Only issue would be if I then got interested its another rabbit hole of photography to get lost in!!

Something Old - Interesting image, gives me hope I could plant something and it might survive given the age of this and it has nobody maintaining it!!
Eyes get drawn a bit into the bottom corner.

Liquid - Image 1 definitely has the feeling of movement which is great . Image 2, its interesting to see where the colour flows possibly providing more emphasis on the movement, though I do not think i could stare at it too long.

A Household Item - All great images, I like the books best, has a feeling of tall buildings to it.
Yes - it very much is a rabbit hole... I have one (proper) digital camera (m43), and 6 film cameras... But I love the different looks you can get with the different emulsions - I'm just about to start trying colour developing. Posts may or may not appear on here dependent on results!
Great set. Books for me.
Brilliant selection of shots for household. Thank you for the information about the camera too. It sounds very interesting.

Thank you all!

Continuing the film rabbit hole connection (somewhat tangentially), I've managed to acquire a macro lens to ease the negative scanning. And of course I had to have a play with it for normal subjects too!

This is a curled leaf, waiting to reveal it's hidden insides!

20200609-Hidden (2 of 2) by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Nicer close up image, lovely colours and great detail.

Hi Shugpug

Glad you had a story to the Hidden Image, I was thinking perhaps there is an insect or catapiller hidden so well I was not seeing it.

Pete

Nice close up of the un-furled leaf Alex, good idea on the connection with the theme.

Nice close-up Alex and a clever idea for the theme.
Hope you're having a good trip.

Nicer close up image, lovely colours and great detail.
Great detail, nice picture
Hi Shugpug

Glad you had a story to the Hidden Image, I was thinking perhaps there is an insect or catapiller hidden so well I was not seeing it.

Pete
Nice close up of the un-furled leaf Alex, good idea on the connection with the theme.
Hidden, a nice idea and plenty of detail and nice colour.
nice idea for hidden looks almost alien
I like your take on hidden good close up image I like the blurred background.
I would never have guessed. Clever :)
Hidden
It made me think of a pea pod.
Nice close-up Alex and a clever idea for the theme.
Hope you're having a good trip.
Good take on the theme.

Thank you all!

The trip was fantastic, other than being chased off the North Rim of the Grand Canyon by a forest fire... The road we drove down was cut by the fire 8-10 hours after we drove down it and is still closed, so I'm rather glad I didn't follow my first instinct, which was to say, sod it - we'll go tomorrow!

The Magnum fire rather affected a lot of the photos we took, as it has produced a lot of smoke. Apologies in advance for the liberal use of the dehaze slider!!

First photo from the trip, and also rather neatly fitted the theme of small. This is a very small tent for 2 people! This is the campsite we were chased off of by the fire.

Shame about the view as well - you could just about see the Colorado River from a few points on the rim trail (but not from our campsite), and it certainly looked very small from over a mile above it! Even the South RIm which you can see in the distance (it's ~10 miles as the crow flies from where we were) looked pretty small from here.

Small Tent... by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Taken a day early, sorry... However - Thursday and on were particularly badly affected by forest fire smoke. Any as I'm 8 hours behind the UK, it was very nearly Thursday as far as the theme was concerned :D

This is from a (rather warm!) hike in Needles district of Canyonlands National Park. An absolutely remarkable place - up there with the Grand Canyon in terms of pure spectacle. This hike took us up one canyon and down the other, and this view is from the climb out of one canyon and then down in to the next - a thoroughly enjoyable period of social distancing! 3 shot panorama - clouds would have added a little drama to the sky (and a little shade to the walk - which was sorely lacking on the second half!)

20200617-Canyonlands_National_Park_The_Needles (88 of 170)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Lovely colours in that image, really nice. But I do wonder if you should have moved the camera left a smidge so that you got all of that gorgeous curve in on the left of the image (and would lose some of the more 'uninteresting' stuff on the right)? It's a great capture though, what a stunning place!

Both shots certainly make you feel warm. Rather you than me out in that heat (maybe this is why I'm not a landscape tog ;) )

ETA - Ah, I see, you were posting the second shot for Snappers Choice while I was commenting on the first one, so it's two themes, not one...
Both do show the heat and scale though, so I can be forgiven hopefully...

Last edited:
Taken a day early, sorry... However - Thursday and on were particularly badly affected by forest fire smoke. Any as I'm 8 hours behind the UK, it was very nearly Thursday as far as the theme was concerned :D

This is from a (rather warm!) hike in Needles district of Canyonlands National Park. An absolutely remarkable place - up there with the Grand Canyon in terms of pure spectacle. This hike took us up one canyon and down the other, and this view is from the climb out of one canyon and then down in to the next - a thoroughly enjoyable period of social distancing! 3 shot panorama - clouds would have added a little drama to the sky (and a little shade to the walk - which was sorely lacking on the second half!)

20200617-Canyonlands_National_Park_The_Needles (88 of 170)-Pano by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Lovely colours both on land and sky and I prefer the absence of clouds, for me it gives a better sense of how hot it must have been.

Love that snapper's choice pic. Lovely sweeping curves ;)

A couple of nice photos Shugpug, The colour of the sky against the orange of the rock, supurb.

Pete

Back