Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

Amazing views Alex.
And yes that tent does look a bit snug for 2 :D

Amazing view, the tent does indeed look cozy for two people
Amazing views Alex.
And yes that tent does look a bit snug for 2 :D
Fortunately, Mrs SP and I are both fairly small, but even then it gets cosy in there! The rest of the trip was in our much larger car camping tent!
Lovely colours in that image, really nice. But I do wonder if you should have moved the camera left a smidge so that you got all of that gorgeous curve in on the left of the image (and would lose some of the more 'uninteresting' stuff on the right)? It's a great capture though, what a stunning place!
Now that is definitely a fair point - the canyon in the distance on the right is what we hiked down to get back to the car, but whilst that why I included it, you wouldn't necessarily know that just from the photo.
Lovely colours both on land and sky and I prefer the absence of clouds, for me it gives a better sense of how hot it must have been.
Both shots certainly make you feel warm. Rather you than me out in that heat (maybe this is why I'm not a landscape tog ;) )

ETA - Ah, I see, you were posting the second shot for Snappers Choice while I was commenting on the first one, so it's two themes, not one...
Both do show the heat and scale though, so I can be forgiven hopefully...
Being fair, the first photo was taken up over 8000 feet, so sunny, but definitely not warm! Extra blankets would have been needed that night!
Canyonlands on the other hand is below 6000 feet, and a lot warmer. I finished my 3 litres of water, and half litre of mountain dew (a bad habit, but full of caffeine!) over the 10ish miles. It was probably "only" in the low to mid thirties, but the rock just reflected the heat straight back at us, and annoyingly there wasn't much of a breeze. (Annoyingly because the wind was what was fuelling the Magnum fire.)
Love that snapper's choice pic. Lovely sweeping curves ;)
A couple of nice photos Shugpug, The colour of the sky against the orange of the rock, supurb.

Thanks! One of the prettiest places I've been to for a while.

Small. A great location to pitch a small tent.
Snapper's Choice. A lovely landscape and nicely pictured.

It certainly does look very hot! Amazing colours, especially the sky.

Small: that looks small for 1 person yet alone 2! Great view.

Snappers Choice: Lovely image

It's those few clouds that make it for me. Good colours too.
Small. A great location to pitch a small tent.
Snapper's Choice. A lovely landscape and nicely pictured.
It certainly does look very hot! Amazing colours, especially the sky.
Amazing dramatic scenery.
2 Good shoots , I very much like your snappers choice, lovely curves and colours.
Magnificat view of the canyon and the vastness of it makes the tent really small by comparison.
Small: that looks small for 1 person yet alone 2! Great view.

Snappers Choice: Lovely image
Thank you all - and yes, the tent is definitely only capable of holding 2 very close friends!!

Week 26 - Mother Nature taking a beating. Phone shot unfortunately - time has been against me this week!

2020 is the year that keeps on giving. Having escaped the Magnum Fire on the Grand Canyon's North Rim during our holidays (we were evacuated about 12 hours before the fire cut the only road out - we never actually managed to sleep in the tent I shot above) we got home to the Spring Mountains. Then on a particularly windy day, the Mahogany Fire grew from nothing to 5000+ acres :(

Last year, we walked through the Carpenter Fire location on our way up to Charleston Peak - the area was in no way recovered. Even though the Spring Mountains are a lot wetter than most of the local area (it's the highest point between here and Death Valley!) so everything takes a very long time to grow back. There weren't any storms on the day the fire broke out, so almost certainly down to human activity :mad: The mountain pass - and my default second way to work if the valley road gets blocked (which happens with depressing regularity due to folks inability to drive in a straight line out here...) is still closed - so the next major crash will increase my commute from ~45 mins to over 2 hours :coffee:IMG_20200628_175421952_HDR.jpg

Would probably take a bit off the bottom for a more traditional landscape but a nice bit of scenery, I thought it was a golf course the first time I looked

I thought the same (golf course) at first as well due to the open lush grass. Is that a solar panel in the foreground? It's a lovely combination of grass, trees and distant mountains with an interesting sky as well.

Agree with the two above if you're showcasing the fire (crop up to just below the shadows on the left imo).
Of course, if you're contrasting the fire/sky with the lush green at the bottom, then it works as it is.

I'm with the chop a bit off too, crew, Alex.
Its a great image, nonetheless telling a very sad story.

Yep - snippetty snip the bottom. It's a nice scene. Glad it's bigger than the teeny version in the main thread.

Would probably take a bit off the bottom for a more traditional landscape but a nice bit of scenery, I thought it was a golf course the first time I looked
I thought the same (golf course) at first as well due to the open lush grass. Is that a solar panel in the foreground? It's a lovely combination of grass, trees and distant mountains with an interesting sky as well.
Just a drain cover of some kind unfortunately.
Agree with the two above if you're showcasing the fire (crop up to just below the shadows on the left imo).
Of course, if you're contrasting the fire/sky with the lush green at the bottom, then it works as it is.
Hi Shugpug, I think a crop would be better...big fire!
I'm with the chop a bit off too, crew, Alex.
Its a great image, nonetheless telling a very sad story.
Yep - snippetty snip the bottom. It's a nice scene. Glad it's bigger than the teeny version in the main thread.

You are all absolutely correct - it needs a good chop off the bottom. The fire is about 94% contained now, and most of the roads are reopening. It's going to be interesting hiking up there when it all cools down, both from the fire and from the weather!

This week is as much of a challenge! I've been out and shot a roll of film through one of my pinholes - hopefully there'll be something in there I can use!

I've gone for "Signs of the Times" this week - perhaps a little too literally...

It's the morning after the night before for a lot of folks here, and most of the shops are shut - a good time to pop down to our local shopping centre and shoot a roll through my new pinhole camera. It's got a curved film plane - which I hadn't appreciated just how much distortion it would introduce. I fixed some of them in PS, but have decided to post the unchanged ones in an attempt to highlight just how odd the current situation still feels!

Rollei Ortho 25 shot on RSS 6x12F

#1 - Signs of the Times

20200705-52_Project_Signs (11 of 12)-Pano
by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

#2 - Obligatory self portrait

20200705-52_Project_Signs (9 of 12)-Pano

#3 - Play it Safe (this is the climbing frame)

20200705-52_Project_Signs (7 of 12)-Pano

Sadly out of time for this week, but at the end of May, the admin building for this centre had the local Graduations colours as it's lighting theme - I tried out a roll of Cinestill 800T on it (one of my first experiences developing colour film - which is not nearly as scary or hard as I thought it would be). I'd have liked to repeat something like this for this week, but I don't have any of the film in stock, and it's on back-order everywhere I looked.

#4 - Downtown Summerlin sign

20200516-26-Downtown_Summerlin_Grad_Lights-Cinestill800T_ECN2 (8 of 12)

#5 - Vegas Ballpark

20200516-26-Downtown_Summerlin_Grad_Lights-Cinestill800T_ECN2 (9 of 12)

They have a lovely retro look, especially the B&W. But I'm particularly drawn to the last two colour ones, I like the style and colours.

Although technically they are out of date for this weeks theme the last two are very good there’s something about the vivid colours that works.

Thanks - I really liked them as well. The lights on the building came out really nicely as well - and the 6x6 format let me crop in to the best bits [emoji3]

I processed this in ECN2 chemistry - so I'm not sure if this counts as cross processing or not... Instructions are for C41 processing, but as I understand it, it's IMAX format Kodak Vision 500T film which had been cut down to 120 format and had the protective Remjet removed - so guessing technically it was the correct process..?

Nice image for Mother Nature another vote for cropping some of the bottom.

Great set of images for signs a real sign of the times. Great to see more film images (i really wish I could do images n film but I wouldn't get chance to process them!)

Curved film plane and colour film developing they're all just too technical for me but I do like the shots. Love the first one with the those unusual looking curves.
Thank you. The curved plane camera is a PITA to load, and is still pretty new to me so still learning it's foibles.
Nice image for Mother Nature another vote for cropping some of the bottom.

Great set of images for signs a real sign of the times. Great to see more film images (i really wish I could do images n film but I wouldn't get chance to process them!)
Thank you. The processing isn't too time consuming and can be broken down to a few steps. Putting the film on the reels takes a bit of practice, but you can stuck a film or two in the tank then walk away until the next time you have half an hour spare.
The chemical part takes me about thirty minutes including cleaning up the kitchen afterwards... And then it's "just" the scanning and digital processing, which can expand to fill the time available...
I'm not that experienced, but shot, processed, scanned and posted that roll of Pinhole shots in a day - which also involved a few hours in the home office, exercise, and all the normal domestic chores.
Don't get me wrong - it's nowhere near as quick as digital, but that is part of what I like about it. It's my version of mindfulness [emoji2]

Great set of images illustrating the stange times we are in from your pinhole camera.

I like the curved aspect.. it does make you feel that things are a little skewed.

Great set of images illustrating the stange times we are in from your pinhole camera.
I like the curved aspect.. it does make you feel that things are a little skewed.
Thank you - definitely the effect I was going for (after seeing the results at least...)
Great signs like the colour of the last 2, almost have neon type colours
Some great shots since my last visit, good sets for Household and Signs. :clap::clap::clap:
Thank you!

Secure - I've been kicking myself this week after driving to work (secure air base) past a high security prison, without my camera :mad:

So instead - I co-opted my better half, or at least her hand, for a shot of us holding hands.

Sorry for the cheesy interpretation of secure...

Lit with OCF, one directional from the side to give shadows between our knuckles, and another with a diffuser to fill some of those shadows.

20200712-52_Project_Secure (3 of 3)

First time playing with OCF for many years - still fun :D

Nice image Alex, not cheesy at all.
I like the way the diamond stands right out, I'm immediately drawn to it.

Nice shot. -clever :)

Nicely done! Those without wedding rings can post a photo of their bank statement instead haha

Nice image Alex, not cheesy at all.
I like the way the diamond stands right out, I'm immediately drawn to it.
Thank you - it was the focus point, and I was hoping to get a bit more zing of it from the flash, but I think it's have needed a more direct light for that, losing the shadows.
Not cheese, excellent idea and nicely taken
Nice shot. -clever 
Very good, nicely lit and composed 
Thank you - I'm pleased with the lighting on this. Definitely time to play with the new lights now I have them [emoji3]
Nicely done! Those without wedding rings can post a photo of their bank statement instead haha
Too true... She had been a lady of leisure whilst we've been posted overseas and I keep telling her that she owes me 7 years of board and lodging when I retire!
Doesn't always go down well for some reason... [emoji848]

I don't think that's cheesy. Lovely detail and very nicely lit.

Back