Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

Hi Alex

Right on Theme, for us old timers who remember and used the Ilford B&W films with all the stinky chemicals.

Pete

Lateral thinking? Are they all B&W film? You could also do a B&W shot of colour film boxes :)
Bottom right - Velvia is (super saturated!) colour side film :)

This is old and expired stock - I'm most of the way through another roll of it (acquired at the same time) and will see how it looks in E6 chemicals before possibly cross processing the other roll.

Last edited:
Excellent, Im sure some people won't get it but I think its very clever :clap:
Well, I got it and its funny how counter intuitive it is, just from looking.
Cool shot. definitely more than just a PABD imo.
At this time, many of us are restricted to setting up shots in-doors, outside our usual genre so amusing shots like this are cool :)
Thank you both! It's a little like the psych tests where you have to say the colour, or say the words for these examples - red, green, blue etc.
Nope I didn't get it, but its a nice image nonetheless Alex
Cool take on theme Alex.
Hi Alex

Right on Theme, for us old timers who remember and used the Ilford B&W films with all the stinky chemicals.

Pete
Haven't you go heard - film is cool again - and expanding of the echo chambers I'm in are correct :film: And I don't count myself as an old timer just yet (still the right side of 40 for another year!)

Mmmmm lovely film. FP4 is my go to in good light.

Mmmmm lovely film. FP4 is my go to in good light.
I've been using it on and off for about 20 years - still my go to for outdoor use! I used Pan F in a pinhole recently and was really impressed with it. I'm going to try it in a lensed camera next time I'm out in the desert - should still have plenty of light for decent shutter speeds even with a contrast filter. If the results are as relatively good as compared to FP4 in the pinhole then it might be the new go to until I move back to the UK. No shortage of brightness here!

Clever idea and nicely executed. I shot a couple of rolls of 35mm FP4 earlier this year and still have a roll of 120 to use at some point soon.

Very nice image really nicely set up and captured nicely thought out and processed.

Horribly behind on commenting - sorry! Work is very full on just at the moment... That being said, my current "weekend" (Tuesday to Thursday this week!) only needed one day in front of the laptop, so it could be worse!

Restrictions are being eased more quickly here now, and some of the outdoor spaces are opening up. The two days I have taken fully off have seen us paddle boarding on Lake Mead (it would have been the Colorado River, but work is now not allowing me to leave the State :mad:) and taking a hike in the Spring Mountains on the Bristlecone Trails. Bristlecones are a type of pine, and one of the longest lived organisms on the planet, so seemed perfect for a catch up on Old! I was hoping for some snow run off as well for the liquid - but will get up to date with that soon.

This is the plant itself - a relatively young one (the oldest, Methuselah (!) is approaching 5000 years old! We saw one in Sequioa National Park (I think) that was ~2000 years old, so this is a positive spring chicken in comparison!)

Bristlecone Pine by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

I tried this in black and white, but it didn't quite work.

Along the trail however, there were a bunch of dead trees against a beautiful blue sky, which I think work well for the technique!

Old Trees by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

And as a twofer - I'm pretty sure there are some Bristlecones in the background!

Nice old trees and nicely done - just that bottom right corner overpowering it a bit.

Lovely pic of the trees against the dark sky and I would agree with Dave that the bottom right could do with taking down somewhat.

Like Lee, my first thought was that the tree shot was with an infrared converted camera.
You've not said that in the blurb though, so processing?

If you view just the top of the photo, it has the feel of lichen.

Number 2 for me, I like that, super shot.

#2 for me also Alex

Thank you all for the kind comments - I will try to put something a bit more meaningful up soon, but work continues to be extremely busy...

I decided that sleep was somewhat optional this morning and went for a golden hour shot at our local Wetlands (man made!) Now the proud owner of a blue filter, I also decided to try the trichrome technique... Some work still required on that - I think my filters aren't necessarily the correct shade of R, B and G! Sorry for the psychedelia... That being said - the red filtered shot (if you ignore the sky, which is very blown!) is rather pleasing for liquid. I suspect that the B&W is the more pleasing shot, but rather like the effect that the trichrome has given!

#1 - wetlands with red filter

20200524-Trichrome_Red_Filter by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

And #2 - the psychedelic trichrome!

20200524-Wetlands_Trichrome by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Back to the drawing board I think... :exit:

Clever idea and nicely executed. I shot a couple of rolls of 35mm FP4 earlier this year and still have a roll of 120 to use at some point soon.
Great idea, very clever!
Great idea for your Colourful image. Well thought out and framed.
Very nice image really nicely set up and captured nicely thought out and processed.
Yeah, very cool photo. Clever take too.

Thank you all - the Velvia is now mostly shot (20 of 36 exposed) and I can feel the Pan F calling to my MF rangefinder...

Nice old trees and nicely done - just that bottom right corner overpowering it a bit.
Lovely pic of the trees against the dark sky and I would agree with Dave that the bottom right could do with taking down somewhat.
I like the tree shot. Although bright it has a kind of Infra-Red film feel about it.
Like Lee, my first thought was that the tree shot was with an infrared converted camera.
You've not said that in the blurb though, so processing?

If you view just the top of the photo, it has the feel of lichen.
Number 2 for me, I like that, super shot.
#2 for me also Alex
B&W shot for me. Like the sky a lot.
Another vote for No 2 from me
#2 for me too. Like leebert said, it has an infra-red feel too it.

Thank you all - think I was too concentrated on the sky to look at the bottom right, rather bright corner :mad: It's a B&W conversion from my m4/3 - polariser darkened the sky in colour, them further darkened in LR, but assuming did an IR feel. Overall - fairly pleased with this, but I think I'll take another shot and have a play with the Dodge and burn tools.

Last edited:
I like the old shot and agree it has a bit of an infra red feel to it.
Love your liquid shot, I like different!

I kinda prefer the really vibrant shot, it's surreal, so doesn't need to be toned back.
I've given you the technique tick, but could you really have produced those colours using B&W film (and a mad combination of chemicals)?
Serious question, I don't do film developing so I have no idea.

Interesting takes on colour for the liquid shots - I do prefer the simplicity of the mono version though :)

Interesting processing but the straightforward monochrome for me.

Very interesting idea... and bizarre results. Thought my monitor had gone crazy for a moment. It's nice to see some experimentation with technique.

Interesting idea not sure if it’s the best subject matter for the filters so the black and white one for me

I kinda prefer the really vibrant shot, it's surreal, so doesn't need to be toned back.
I've given you the technique tick, but could you really have produced those colours using B&W film (and a mad combination of chemicals)?
Serious question, I don't do film developing so I have no idea.
I can think of a solution to that ;) I'm not sure you could produce a colour print from this technique, but trichromes were (if I did my research right) projected as transparencies with colour filters, resulting in a colour image from additive colour blending.

I shot 4 frames - one unfiltered, and one each with red, green and a (too weak) blue filter. Colour filter shots were then loaded as the colour channels with the first shot blended in for luminosity. I'm going to have a play with this technique - when I have a stronger blue filter.

I like the effect these give on moving subjects, but the water may be taking up too much of the frame.
Interesting takes on colour for the liquid shots - I do prefer the simplicity of the mono version though :)

Interesting processing but the straightforward monochrome for me.
Interesting idea not sure if it’s the best subject matter for the filters so the black and white one for me
Very interesting idea... and bizarre results. Thought my monitor had gone crazy for a moment. It's nice to see some experimentation with technique.
It's not something I'm going to hang on the wall, but it's pushed me out of my comfort zone which is no bad thing on occasions.

Liquid - I like the vibrant versions but prefer the more classic B&W the coloured versions have made my eye go funny:LOL:

For LIQUID I'll go with the B/W version, but the experiments were worthwhile for sure.
Liquid - I like the vibrant versions but prefer the more classic B&W the coloured versions have made my eye go funny:LOL:
B&W shot for me too.
Well that is certainly an interesting effect and an interesting take on b&w. Thank you for sharing how it was achieved. It certainly is a strange effect.
Like it. Clever take on the theme and good effects.
Thank you all - as I said, not something to hang on the wall, but something I'm going to continue to experiment with.

Back