Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

It's a good abstract. I would maybe have lit the left-hand side of the cup, a bit of rim light.

Great idea, Alex, and very well executed, especially when reading about the challenges with props and equipment! I was like you when I started the 52 and preferred outdoor shots; I hated trying indoor and tabletop images but you learn a lot when you're out of your comfort zone. I like the simplicity and the stark contrast between black and white; it grabs the eye (y)

Week 3 - Tool and silhouette

Paul Bunyan, and his tool! Paul Bunyan is an American Tall Tale, and part of US Folklore. He is a lumberjack, usually depicted with his blue cow, Babe - but fortunately for me, here he just has his trusty axe!

And I couldn't resist getting another sunburst as it peeked over a fairly uninspiring concrete building... Thank goodness for silly-wets!

20200117-Paul_Bunyan (1 of 7)
by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

What a fantastic image! Great for the theme and the tech too.

The top half of the image is best I love the Starburst, but I agree you could loose some of the black at the bottom

What a shot, nice work Alex. I might also consider cropping a bit of the black of the bottom to see what it looks like. If you did this and didn't like the result that's fine though, it's you image after all :)

Very nice image, I agree that the bottom corner could be lifted a bit, but still a great shot.

Paul and his tool - fantastic. :)

All I can say is WOW Alex, I can`t fault this great image and beautifully taken too :clap::clap:
That's really nice Shugpug, love the sunburst. I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok etc
What a fantastic image! Great for the theme and the tech too.
Nice, I like that. The silhouette and starburst are really effective here :clap:
My only question would be whether you need all of the dark area in at the bottom?
The top half of the image is best I love the Starburst, but I agree you could loose some of the black at the bottom
Stunning image @Shugpug!:clap:

Excellent use of the silhouette technique, and the starburst is inspired!
Exceptional!
What a shot, nice work Alex. I might also consider cropping a bit of the black of the bottom to see what it looks like. If you did this and didn't like the result that's fine though, it's you image after all :)
Very nice image, I agree that the bottom corner could be lifted a bit, but still a great shot.
Paul and his tool - fantastic. :)

Thank you all - I enjoyed taking this one :) It was the first theme (so far...) which as soon as I saw it I knew what I wanted to shoot, and how to use the technique.

Very fair point about the too dark lower half though - I had envisaged this shot without seeing the location 1st, and it turned out the background was messier than I had expected so I couldn't get the full length silhouette I had wanted... Never let reality get in the way of previsualisation though :eggface:

I did take both portrait and landscape shots - on reflection, this landscape version is probably the better one... What are the rules on changing a submission once it's in the main thread..? I don't want to break them on my first outing :oops: :$

Thank you all again for the comments - definitely brought a smile here :)

20200117-Paul_Bunyan (5 of 7)

I think you totally nailed that on all fronts (y)

I did take both portrait and landscape shots - on reflection, this landscape version is probably the better one... What are the rules on changing a submission once it's in the main thread..? I don't want to break them on my first outing
I really like this image, think the landscape version is the best, not sure on the rules, ask old snakey he will tell you.

pleasure - great low key photo, composition works well!

tool - great idea and well executed, I like a sunburst! I prefer the landscape crop, but that's just me being old...

The second crop certainly works better for me. Great subject matter and lovely composition.

The second crop certainly works better for me. Great subject matter and lovely composition.
Thank you - liking the landscape shot more reach time I compare then.
pleasure - great low key photo, composition works well!

tool - great idea and well executed, I like a sunburst! I prefer the landscape crop, but that's just me being old...
Nothing I can add that is stunning well done [emoji481]
It has all been said. Great shot!
I really like this image, think the landscape version is the best, not sure on the rules, ask old snakey he will tell you.
What a fabulous shot, fit the theme and technique perfectly. The starburst and the sky patterns are added bonuses.
Nice composition and a well placed sun.
The second version is much better. Great Sunburst. Great Sky.

Pete
I think you totally nailed that on all fronts (y)
Thank you all!

Regretfully, I suspect I am going to be late for at least one submission as I'm being sent back to the UK until work manages to fix it's computers out here [emoji35]. I'll take at least one camera with me, but will be very limited for transport (shanks pony), internet access and I suspect opportunity :(

I'll catch up when I'm back in the warm!

Great silhouette and nice processing. Prefer the landscape crop but there's not much wrong with either.

Made it! First day off (of 2) after 6 at work, so was worried I was going to miss the deadline - and whilst I know it's a very soft deadline, it's the principle. It would make me feel like a student again...

This is from Goldsprings Jean - a bit of a mining ghost town not far from us in Las Vegas, and really showing the history of the Silver State. Interesting to see some really quite abject poverty only half an hour's drive from Trump Towers on the Strip. I took a selection of images as this was a scout and shoot all in one. The amazing sunsets of the last few days didn't materialise, so I "settled" for some nice golden hour light.

20200129-Discarded_Gold_Springs (10 of 11)-Edit

The contents of this shed also qualified as very discarded...

20200129-Discarded_Gold_Springs (8 of 11)

And that first shed was by no means the only discarded building!

20200129-Discarded_Gold_Springs (4 of 11)

An interesting place, and one were going to revisit in the near future as part of a planned bike ride. Possibly one to go and explore a bit more in slow time, and without a "deadline"!

I love the first image, the colours are great

#1 for me Alex, nice lighting through out, but that one just seems to hit the nail on the head as they say.

and whilst I know it's a very soft deadline, it's the principle.
The problem is so many people find out, when they get behind its very difficult to catch up "maybe next week"
Becomes next month.

All 3 good images. #2 (with a bit of straightening) for me. I like the clutter and the colour in this one.

Another that seems more abandoned than discarded - and a really nice set of pix too. No1 for me - I like a simple comp. :)

Back