Sibillini National park (new edits/shots added)

The first is sublime, with great light. The second and third do not do as much for me, the second for me is a little too dark at the bottom and the third has nice light but the composition is not as strong as the first two. Just my 2p worth.

Last edited:
The first is sublime, with great light. The second and third do not do as much for me, the second for me is a little too dark at the borrow and the third has nice light but the composition is not as strong as the first two. Just my 2p worth.
^^ what nguss said. I think if I had seen the first one in isolation I would have loved it but the first one is so stunning it kind of outshines the rest.

Admirably conceived and recorded images, with number 1 quite obviously primus inter pares.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. I agree with everything you have said.

I am disappointed with my rendering of number 2. It was a stunning sight in reality but my pictures do not do it justice. I will revisit in case it is just my heavy-handed processing.

With the third shot I was already standing on the edge of a pretty steep drop so had no wriggle room. If I moved further right I got a more ugly tree instead. I tried cropping out the dark tree but I particularly like the light on the distant ridge and that was lost. Another one to reconsider, I think. Here is a different version from more or less the same place but without the dark tree:

Autumn colours 1 by Ian, on Flickr

I've more to come from this trip, once I get round to processing them.

That first image is beautiful and definitely tge pick of the bunch. Second one has too much dark for me. The third one I am thinking there must be a crop to lose the tree.Maybe a 5x4 crop? Without the tree it would be on a par with the first image imo. The portrait one is great too.

The third one I am thinking there must be a crop to lose the tree.Maybe a 5x4 crop? Without the tree it would be on a par with the first image imo. The portrait one is great too.

I've had another go - tighter crop in from the left, as far as I can go to the right without that dark tree getting into shot and a judicious bit of content-aware fill work to remove most stray branches. One big one remains but that is beyond my Photoshop abilities at this time of the morning

1610_Ryan03_195-Edit by Ian, on Flickr

Shot 1 is the winner Ian, superb really nice composition and colours worth the trip.

The third shot I don't normally like tree window frames but it kind of works well here to balance out the large hillside on the right.

Shot 2 I actually feel your first version is better than the re processed one. I can see the work you have put into the shadows has paid off but the issue is the HDR creates a very dulled mid tone heavy image. I hope you don't mind but I've done some very minor/quick colour correction and boosted that contrast again to show you what it could look like if you wanted to.

ian'spic by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Beautiful landscapes Ian,these really show the atmosphere of the area. I also like the work that Craig has done on the last photograph. It just seems to give a little more punch.

I hope to get there some day photographic wise.

Ooh yes, I like that edit. The extra punch really helps. I tweaked the colours in my edit but in a very non-scientific way. Your version is certainly better colour-wise. I suspect you might have more or less undone the colour tweaks I did! Can you let me know the edits you made so I can try them out too?

Love number one, gorgeous shot.

For me the portrait version of the 3rd shot is my favorite :)

1. Great. Did you take anything wider.
2. I'd lift some more details out or just increase exposure in post. Otherwise epic and a lovely open vista. The re edit is better but recovered too much. A half way between the two is what I'd suggest. You're nearly there with it but not quite
3. Lovely colours but not my bag

Last edited:
1. Great. Did you take anything wider.
2. I'd lift some more details out or just increase exposure in post. Otherwise epic and a lovely open vista. The re edit is better but recovered too much. A half way between the two is what I'd suggest. You're nearly there with it but not quite
3. Lovely colours but not my bag

1. Funny you should ask that as I've just been looking at these shots again. I have a couple where I went more to the left that look decent. I'll pop them up once I get organised. I cannot go further right unfortunately as there is a nasty big bit of beach that looks really ugly
2. I agree with you entirely. Somewhere between the two is right, but I cannot seem to get to it. I will take a break and come back to these afresh I think
3. The colours are what drew me to the shot (plus the light on the distant mountain) but it isn't a great composition.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

That's my job for this afternoon (though my wife reckons I should be cleaning the shed out...)

D'oh!

The second version of No 1 really works for me. The colour of the water seems more natural. It does the reservoir effect (bare banks) though, which is a shame. I might crop a bit off the bottom......the image just looks a bit empty there.

No 3 is also excellent, especially the third (cropped) version.

Back