Sicily 2017 (warning massively pic heavy)

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Nice set of images Toby

How was the Holiday mate we are thinking of going next year?

Nice set of images Toby

How was the Holiday mate we are thinking of going next year?
Thanks. Really nice, although I have to admit not quite what I was expecting. I thought the whole island would be picturesque and stunning but it's more a case of some lovely picturesque places scattered amongst areas of not so nice scenery and areas that are quite scruffy and industrial.

On the whole though well worth the visit, and it definitely pays to go off the beaten track. It's a very large island so I'd definitely recommend hiring a car, although the driving in Sicily (especially in towns) is bonkers ;) I thought the scenary inland was nicer than the coastline generally. There's an autostrada that runs from Catania to Palermo and goes pretty much straight through the middle of the island and some of the scenery along there is pretty spectacular.

Thanks Toby.
I was thinking if hiring a car. I have driven in Italy before, my drive round lake Como was something else.

Some really excellent images there, and a very good set overall. Must go there, soon!

Lovely shots Toby, it does look like a lovely place although its the same here, nice in places and "scruffy" in others.

Lovely shots Toby, it does look like a lovely place although its the same here, nice in places and "scruffy" in others.
Thanks.

Very nice images, brings back many happy memories of Sicily.
My self an my better half went in 1997, drove about all over in a hire Alfa Romeo (hire company made me give it back!).
The autostrada tunnels remain quite a memory as does driving out of the airport at rush hours (wow that was memorable).
Images brought it straight back.
Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Very nice images, brings back many happy memories of Sicily.
My self an my better half went in 1997, drove about all over in a hire Alfa Romeo (hire company made me give it back!).
The autostrada tunnels remain quite a memory as does driving out of the airport at rush hours (wow that was memorable).
Images brought it straight back.
Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Thanks. Yes we really enjoyed it, especially Savoca and Forza D'Agro. The roads and tunnels definitely leave a lasting impression ;)

2,4,10 &11 are my favourites.
Good set of images.

@snerkler Toby, we love Italy and so far have been to Como,Milan,Rome with Florence/Pisa still on the list.

We have always fancied Sicily, but need to have something to do.

Just wondered what your thoughts were.

@snerkler Toby, we love Italy and so far have been to Como,Milan,Rome with Florence/Pisa still on the list.

We have always fancied Sicily, but need to have something to do.

Just wondered what your thoughts were.
I can't compare to the other places as the other Italian city I've visited is Venice. However, there I plenty to do in Sicily, it's a surprisingly large island. Definitely worth a visit imo but just be aware of what I said in post #5. Savoca and Forza D'Agro are stunning quaint little villages. Taormina's very nice, and we also enjoyed Cefalù. We didn't have time to do the South side but I've heard that Siracusa and surrounding areas are very nice.

I'd definitely suggest hiring a car, but just be aware of ZTL's in city centres.

Nice set of images. Literally just got back from Sicily myself last weekend - we stayed for a week in Taormina, which was great. Just processing my images!

Looks like you visited some spots we didn't. We were going to rent a car and explore, but couldn't be bothered in the end. Lovely place though, at least from what I saw of Taormina.

If you want a more stunning Italian coast line, definitely recommend amalfi coast or lerici and the cinque Terre over on the main land.

Nice set of images. Literally just got back from Sicily myself last weekend - we stayed for a week in Taormina, which was great. Just processing my images!

Looks like you visited some spots we didn't. We were going to rent a car and explore, but couldn't be bothered in the end. Lovely place though, at least from what I saw of Taormina.

If you want a more stunning Italian coast line, definitely recommend amalfi coast or lerici and the cinque Terre over on the main land.
Thanks. Amalfi coast is definitely on the list (y)

Lovely set Toby :) the mix of nice vs scruffy sounds like our Malta experience last year. Sure you're not tempted to try a tilt-shift lens to avoid all those buildings leaning back? ;)

Number 11 works for me , good imagination and technical skills

Back