Sigma 1.4 50mm dg hsm *** Updated with Images***

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
Yes
So I probably should have asked this before I paid for the lens - however it was a bit of an impulse buy... The Sigma 1.4 50mm dg hsm - whats people thoughts? Do you have any sample pics at all?

Cheers

Great lens if you get a good copy.

Fantastic creamy bokeh. Unless you are paying silly money for F1.2, it can't be beaten, if thats the effect you are after

I loved this lens on my 20D and 5D and it was part of the reason I moved to a 5D. If you like this lens you'll probably like the 85mm f1.4 too as it's even better.

I had no problems with my 50mm on my 20D or 5D and I took some of my favourite pictures with it. I think you'll love it :D

Thanks guys - it should be here tomorrow morning so im looking forward to having a play around with it...

Luckily i have a 2 months warranty on it - buying it second hand from London Camera Exchange may have been a mistake - maybe thats why its for sale in the first place - we'll see :/

What are the signs of a dodgy copy? or what do i need to bee looking out for?

Thanks guys - it should be here tomorrow morning so im looking forward to having a play around with it...

Luckily i have a 2 months warranty on it - buying it second hand from London Camera Exchange may have been a mistake - maybe thats why its for sale in the first place - we'll see :/

What are the signs of a dodgy copy? or what do i need to bee looking out for?

Shoot at F1.4, check shots at 100%, youll soon see if the AF is back or front focusing.

Use a tripod if you can. The depth of field is so shallow that slightest movement handheld could render the subject out of focus.

Shoot at 1.4 and keep your expectations regarding sharpness and contrast sensible.

It will have typical fast prime characteristics when shooting wide open.. It will be fairly sharp and lack a little contrast. Both easily remedied by applying a little sharpness and one touch auto contrast in any free image viewer (ie. Faststone)

The bokeh will be delicious though. That 9 bladed circular iris really does make for creamy bokeh, that in my opinion, is unbeatable for the price.

Stop it down a couple of stops to around F2 - 2.8 and its very sharp. Colours, contrast and bokeh amazing.

I've just sold mine but regretting it in a way.

I didn't use it all that often but got really nice shots when I did. I should get out more but just a bit busy for my hobby at the moment.

Hope you get a good copy Jason.

You should still be able to return if you don't.

These lenses were really hit and miss for QC. I had mine calibrated at Sigma for around £50 all in.

Shame about the QC because its an amazing lens if you get a good one.

Spanks the Canon 1.4 and 1.8 (although the 1.8 STM is supposed to be very sharp wide open and bokeh a little better, but still not as nice as the Sigma's)

Tony.

Mine was actually quite sharp at f1.4.

I agree with the comment about being careful as DoF is thin at f1.4. I was very happy with my lens but when someone else gave it a try he dismissed it as a front/back focusing pile of junk but it was obvious what his issue was as he was visibly nodding or swaying back after focusing and before taking the shot. With technique like that even a kit zoom at f3.5-5.6 is probable going to give iffy results and do that at f1.4 and you're going to get a high percentage of slightly off shots.

At wide apertures you need to give the camera a good target to lock on to and your technique needs to be good.

Last edited:
I hope you're enjoying the lens. The copy I own is bitingly sharp wide open and the colours really are beautiful. IIt easily matches the output of my Leica and Olympus glass. A beast to carry though! I never use mine really so i'll look to sell it once i'm allowed in the classified section.

Use a tripod if you can. The depth of field is so shallow that slightest movement handheld could render the subject out of focus.

Shoot at 1.4 and keep your expectations regarding sharpness and contrast sensible.

It will have typical fast prime characteristics when shooting wide open.. It will be fairly sharp and lack a little contrast. Both easily remedied by applying a little sharpness and one touch auto contrast in any free image viewer (ie. Faststone)

The bokeh will be delicious though. That 9 bladed circular iris really does make for creamy bokeh, that in my opinion, is unbeatable for the price.

Stop it down a couple of stops to around F2 - 2.8 and its very sharp. Colours, contrast and bokeh amazing.

I didn't use it all that often but got really nice shots when I did. I should get out more but just a bit busy for my hobby at the moment.

These lenses were really hit and miss for QC. I had mine calibrated at Sigma for around £50 all in.

Spanks the Canon 1.4 and 1.8 (although the 1.8 STM is supposed to be very sharp wide open and bokeh a little better, but still not as nice as the Sigma's)

Tony.

Cheers Tony - some great advice in there. will keep you posed when it arrives tomorrow with some pics to back it up, thanks again

J

Mine was actually quite sharp at f1.4.

I agree with the comment about being careful as DoF is thin at f1.4. I was very happy with my lens but when someone else gave it a try he dismissed it as a front/back focusing pile of junk but it was obvious what his issue was as he was visibly nodding or swaying back after focusing and before taking the shot. With technique like that even a kit zoom at f3.5-5.6 is probable going to give iffy results and do that at f1.4 and you're going to get a high percentage of slightly off shots.

At wide apertures you need to give the camera a good target to lock on to and your technique needs to be good.

Thanks Alan. Much appreciated buddy

I hope you're enjoying the lens. The copy I own is bitingly sharp wide open and the colours really are beautiful. IIt easily matches the output of my Leica and Olympus glass. A beast to carry though! I never use mine really so i'll look to sell it once i'm allowed in the classified section.

Sure you don't mean the Art version? The original 50mm 1.4 isn't excessively big/heavy in my opinion.

Cheers everyone...

I wanted a lens that would improve the shots on my d5200 (replacing the kit lens) but also would go on a D810 or D800 next year... like most of you have said already... for the price it seems like a great option. I'll just have to see how it is tomorrow when it arrives. Pictures to follow

Spk soon

J

Sure you don't mean the Art version? The original 50mm 1.4 isn't excessively big/heavy in my opinion.

The version I'm awaiting on is just the normal 1.4 - not the Art version (i think) however is was an impulse buy and i didn't ask many questions, its only this morning ive had time to do a little more research. For £170 i dont imagine it to be the art version anyway ha... however if the Art version turns up... happy days...

Cheers everyone...

I wanted a lens that would improve the shots on my d5200 (replacing the kit lens) but also would go on a D810 or D800 next year... like most of you have said already... for the price it seems like a great option. I'll just have to see how it is tomorrow when it arrives. Pictures to follow

Spk soon

J

I liked mine on my APS-C Canon 20D but I loved it on my FF Canon 5D. Maybe you'll feel the same :D

Tony.

One other thing Tony, will a lens such as this reduce noise at when shooting at higher ISO? or is noise purely ISO related

cheers buddy

ISO noise is ISO noise no matter what lens you put on your camera, Jason. That's down to your camera and how well it handles it.

However,with it being a fast lens you get a better chance of a faster shutter speed to handhold at a lower ISO, minimizing noise

You'll realize when you tinker about taking shots at different apertures.

ISO noise is ISO noise no matter what lens you put on your camera, Jason. That's down to your camera and how well it handles it.

However,with it being a fast lens you get a better chance of a faster shutter speed to handhold at a lower ISO, minimizing noise

You'll realize when you tinker about taking shots at different apertures.
Cheers Katie. Much appreciated

No worries :)

Enjoy the lens and get back if you have any more queries

Ok so, the new lens has just been delivered... First impressions.... Weighs a ton... but I really like that. makes me feel i have something of value in my hands and gives my d5200 some beef... Its not the Art lens which is a shame but hay - for a impulse £170 buy im liking it so far.

It feels a little clunky on the auto focus and the focus ring is a little stiffer than i was expecting but with a 1.4 im sure that will work in my favour with a DOF that narrow.. Compared to the 18-55 kit lens its lightning fast too!.... Still getting use to it - will post some pictures later ;)

Cheers All

j
hmmm should i get the 1.4 art version ha ha !

Ok, so first couple of shots from the 1.4 and im pretty pleased to be honest. it doesn't seem to have any focusing issues from what i can tell. The focus point on all three images was between the 6 and 8 on the kodak lens... any thoughts at all ?

I know the subject isnt that interesting but it did a job for this test. Unfortunately my d5200 doesn't have the AF Fine tune option anyway - so its a good job it works ha!

1 - 1.4, iso100 1/200
1.4 : ISO100 1:200 by Sugarspun Sister, on Flickr

2 - 2.8 iso100 1/25
2.8 : ISO100 1:25 by Sugarspun Sister, on Flickr

3 - 5.8 iso250 1/125
5.6 : ISO250 1:125 by Sugarspun Sister, on Flickr

Looks good to my eye

some red fringing in the 2nd image at 2.8 but ive taken that out now and looks super!

Great stuff. You must get the 85mm f1.4 now, if anything it's even better :D

Well its the only proper lens i have - im missing the lower end range so i think the next addition to the bag will be the Nikkor 24 - 70 2.8 however after seeing Tamron's effort i was quite impressed with their equivalent to be honest. That said - ill probably go with Nikon next time...

I don't have a problem... Honest...

Hendricks Of Course ! by Jason Palmer, on Flickr

I think the thing that puts me off the Tamron is the quality control issues and also the onion bokeh.

I think the thing that puts me off the Tamron is the quality control issues and also the onion bokeh.

After looking at sample images from both mate - that was one of the things that i noticed - i guess you have to weigh that up against the cost aspect... and go from there

After looking at sample images from both mate - that was one of the things that i noticed - i guess you have to weigh that up against the cost aspect... and go from there

Exactly. I much prefer primes anyway. The Tamron wouldve mostly been used for video.

I was going to say that Sigma should really buck up on the QC of this lens coming out of it's factories because, as you have seen, a good copy is a really excellent lens.

Even with the new ART lenses on the scene, these are still being produced new. However, there are still reports of bad copies shipped out, from recent individual reviews, which is a shame :(

The shallow depth of field on your camera images are excellent, and very appealing to the eye

Thanks Tony, I cant say how happy I am with it - With this being my first prime lens, the only thing I'm missing is the option to zoom when I need to - So I'm getting use to re positioning myself instead to get the composition I want. I wasn't really ready for that in all honestly but its almost like a new challenge so I'm quite enjoying it...

I was reading something about Sigma's QA the other day... Apparently (or so I read) that each part they use has a leeway of up to -5% in QA.... So if you get a lens thats made up of sub quality parts within the 5% leeway then it can "sometimes" be not up to scratch on performance...

Dont quote me on this I'm no Sigma expert however when reading it - i guess it makes sense

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 is an excellent lens too if you decide to expand your armory of primes. Same properties as the 50mm.

didnt i read that the 30mm is for a dx body?... maybe im getting confused with nikons 35mm

Ill look in to it mate - i think the next lens on my list is either Nikons 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 - both will be in my bag at some point however buying both at the same time will be a little stretch....

Apologies... I'm a Canon man. Not familiar with Nikon.

The 30mm will only fit cropped cameras. Not full frame

" however buying both at the same time will be a little stretch "

As will your camera bag with all those lenses in :D

Back