Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

thanks

Hello,

We are pleased to report that the following item will dispatch sooner than expected:

"Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens for Canon"
Previous estimated arrival date: March 23 2015 - May 09 2015
New estimated arrival date: March 18 2015

:banana:

Welcome to the club Mike ,get the USB dock to its worth it

I see the contempory lens versions price has plummeted to £899 this week at Wex too

I see the contempory lens versions price has plummeted to £899 this week at Wex too
Undercut the Tammys good business sense ,if the C is only half as good as the sport it's gonna be a bargain ,hopefully sigma will have one on there stand at the show

Is it only the sport you can tune with a dock ? Or is it just the build quality and weather sealing that set them apart?

What is the AF like on this lens for birds in flight?

I don`t mean birds with the speed of a dodo.

What is the AF like on this lens for birds in flight?

I don`t mean birds with the speed of a dodo.
According to a report I read ,once set to the 10 mtrs to inifinity range it's 0.3 of a sec to a/f ,I have changed my mid range to 4 mtrs to infinity on C1 to save messing with switches and it doesn't seem to have slowed it down much at all .imho it focuses as fast if not faster than a 400 mm f5.6 ,and you can also speed up the a.f via the USB hub if you desire .
No problems build quality issue wise either ,there is a new tripod foot TS-81 under developement as well which looks as if it will make carrying easier .
Small fast BIF no problem rough estimate is the same or slightly better hit rate than the 400 mm canon .i have said it before but sigma have pulled a blinder with this one and really changed the game

What is the minimum focus on the lens Jeff?

Thanks for the info re the AF.

Cheers Mike, will give this lens some thought and keep an eye on the shots posted using it.

I will be giving mine a good workout at the weekend (as long as it arrives Wednesday and the weather is reasonable).
I am still unsure which is likely to be better for my needs, this or the 100-400mm MKII. Unfortunately there are no airshows that I can visit in the time Amazon allow returns so I will have to try my local airport which isn't very busy these days.

Hmmmmmmm.................very tempting.

What is the minimum focus on the lens Jeff?

Thanks for the info re the AF.
sorry been out all day ,its 2.6mtrs ade.,i am finding that this really is a jack of all trades lens which seems to be born out by reports from other PROPER owners and users .with mine i luckily had a hour or so practice session back in early december ,so when i read some of the field test reports from supposed pro photographers i was a bit taken aback by there reports .i personally think sigma shot themselves in the foot by just handing these out for tests to biased pro's who are used to shooting with 500 or 600mm f4 lenses in fact if i had gone with there findings i would have rejected the lens. you only have to look at comments from real people on flickr,juza etc and see whats being produced to see the reality ,take into account that the american gull above was taken with a mid range 70d to and work it out for yourself even my shots with the 10mp 1d3 seem to have taken a step up ,even more now i have done a proper m/a still got to put the 1.4tc to proper test but it certainly looks good on trial shots

Mine arrived around 4.30pm so only did a couple of quick test shots. No MFA, all wide open and hand held.

The lens is nearly as well built as my Canon EF 300mm f2.8 IS ... and just as heavy. Seems a bit lacking in contrast but that could just be the light.

16660744909_d41be63fa2_c.jpg

16659275698_2dc7ef822d_c.jpg

16639561527_b73e97b87b_c.jpg

That's very nice but a shame the ears and feet are chopped off though,
NO the feet are all there they are atop a post you can see the edge of it and a 1/4 inch of the right hand ear is missing if that makes ANY difference to the i/q of this photo then i furking well give up ,this sort of crap is why virtually no one posts in the birds section on here any more !!!!!!!!!!!
in case you have missed the point this thread is about the quality of the lens not the errors made by the photographer while accustomising to there new toy :punch:

NO the feet are all there they are atop a post you can see the edge of it and a 1/4 inch of the right hand ear is missing if that makes ANY difference to the i/q of this photo then i furking well give up ,this sort of crap is why virtually no one posts in the birds section on here any more !!!!!!!!!!!
in case you have missed the point this thread is about the quality of the lens not the errors made by the photographer while accustomising to there new toy :punch:

I said it was a nice image. Don't give up photography but give up your choice language and drop the attitude.

I'm sorry if my posting was not received in the spirit it was intended !

I said it was a nice image. Don't give up photography but give up your choice language and drop the attitude.

I'm sorry if my posting was not received in the spirit it was intended !
Apology accepted ,and returned sometimes it's easy to take things in the wrong way oops

slightly sharper at 500mm ,but theres to many variables in it at 1600 iso and dull weather ,also are these tripod mounted or hand held ,was it windy etc ,i found that a thorough m/a works wonders on this lens as well

slightly sharper at 500mm ,but theres to many variables in it at 1600 iso and dull weather ,also are these tripod mounted or hand held ,was it windy etc ,i found that a thorough m/a works wonders on this lens as well

All sturdy on tripod. No wind. m/a +10. I need to do a focusing test at infinity but don't really have conditions to do that at the moment. I know you can adjust the lens at each focal length using the dock. I just have to find the way to do it.
In a meantime a Greylag goose from today. If only sun came out even for a second...

16839880016_c769c87b6c_b.jpg

All sturdy on tripod. No wind. m/a +10. I need to do a focusing test at infinity but don't really have conditions to do that at the moment. I know you can adjust the lens at each focal length using the dock. I just have to find the way to do it.
In a meantime a Greylag goose from today. If only sun came out even for a second...

16839880016_c769c87b6c_b.jpg

looks fine to me ,i did my own head in with M/A for a couple of weeks finally settled on -4 being optimum on the id3 at 600mm .still need to play with it some more on my 70d .the lens resolves detail so well that the M/A has to be spot on imho .
also did you switch to o.s 2 for this ,still lots to learn with this beast

Last edited:
Back