B&W Sigma Testing, new pics added

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Got a sigma 35mm f1.4 art - from the couple of shots I've tried so far I can see that I'll need a bit more practice with this lovely bit of kit. I'm sensing it'll be worth it. Probably best to do it when its not the morning after the night before.....unusually - no flash!!!

Getting coffee this morning

Sigma Test by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

and at bedtime (not sure i'll be using this in the same way for my usual portraits - bit too distorted!!

Sigma Test 2 by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

pull back of the bedtime one (window light and reflector against a new whitewashed wall

pullback by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

and one from last night

Claire Candid by Shaheed Rahman, on Flickr

thanks for looking!

Shaheed

Last edited:
looks like a lovely little prime lens you have there Shaheed - I do like the 1st shot very much

Les

There's nothing too much wrong of course except I personally don't like the distortion at 35mm that close on the studio shots. Unless I really have to, I try to keep some distance at 35. For that reason, the first and third pics are within the perfect range and work best for me. Anything waist to full height works IMO.

Last week I was using my 14-24 2.8 indoors, really missed not having the extra stop and a bit, love my primes. I'm sure you will love that lens just as much as I do mine.

Last edited:
There's nothing too much wrong of course except I personally don't like the distortion at 35mm that close, unless I really have to I try to keep some distance. For that reason, the second pic is perfect range for it and works best for me. Anything waist to full height is perfect IMO.

Last week I was using my 14-24 2.8 indoors, really missed not having the extra stop and a bit, love my primes. I'm sure you will love that lens just as much as mine.

Totally agree. As I say I don't think I'll be using it for my usual head/shoulders portraits but I do like it for getting more in the scene!

All great as usual from yourself but first and last really show off the lens potential in your hands :)

First one in the coffee shop and the last one are right up my street, Shaheed. Love portraits with a bit of context and background, even if it is out of focus. Lovely. :)

These are great Shaheed, were these all taken at 1.4?

I shoot a lot of portraits, mainly of my kids my i add.... but i've generally been put off by the wide end as you have to include more of the surroundings in the shot which can distract from your subject...However, i'm getting bored of my head and shoulder shots lately, taken either with my 85 1.8 g or 80-200 2.8 so i bought a Sigma 50 1.4 (not the Art version sadly but still a cracking lens, blows my old 50 1.8d out of the park) I've had some great result so far and am thinking of taking the plunge into the 35 prime area.

I think shooting these kind of portraits really makes you think more about the background and surroundings.

Looking good though so far, look forward to seeing more :)

I have a work bonus next month so maybe, just maybe i'll be allowed a new purchase........

These are great Shaheed, were these all taken at 1.4?

I shoot a lot of portraits, mainly of my kids my i add.... but i've generally been put off by the wide end as you have to include more of the surroundings in the shot which can distract from your subject...However, i'm getting bored of my head and shoulder shots lately, taken either with my 85 1.8 g or 80-200 2.8 so i bought a Sigma 50 1.4 (not the Art version sadly but still a cracking lens, blows my old 50 1.8d out of the park) I've had some great result so far and am thinking of taking the plunge into the 35 prime area.

I think shooting these kind of portraits really makes you think more about the background and surroundings.

Looking good though so far, look forward to seeing more :)

I have a work bonus next month so maybe, just maybe i'll be allowed a new purchase........

I was I admit in 2 minds about the focal length before I bought it but have been blown away by the quality.

I think they're all at f1.4! Definitely watching the backgrounds more but it gives a bit more feel to the portraits I think.

I'm working a couple of extra night shifts to pay for it!

S

***not talking about anyone specific****

But I hate it when people bleat on about distortion for candid environmental portraits.

I mean, you've either got a lovely shot of you and your daughter out enjoying a coffee together or you've got a head and shoulders shot which could have been taken absolutely anywhere. She'll ask about in twenty years time and you'll either go - "hmmm...don't know" or "argh yes it was taken in xxxxxx while we were out doing xxxxx".

Back