Sika Stag

Sikka?? I'm unsure if it's pure anyone know???

Lovely pose indeed Mike

stu

Mike,Les I've never been to the new forest,I've never seen sika in the wild. I knew what I was looking at has sika blood but no idea about purity I am aware that our own Red deer, the North American Elk/ Wapiti and the various incarnates of sika all share a common ancestor. which broke into the three populations N american Eupopean and Asian we know today So the (probably) Japanese sika here in the UK are actively hybridising with the red . The hybrids being fertile are a problem. Mike it appears from a quick look at the BDS site that the new forest hold one of the few pops of pure sika .

So Les, it looks like you and bang on mate:cool: cheers for this. I was sort of angling for knowledge on how to ID hybrids............ but that looks hard ok impossible :(:.

After reading Les's post I went to the font of all UK Deer knowledge.................. the Brit Deer Society. It appears that the hybrids after gen one ie the F 1 are the devils own to ID . Following gens look more and more like one or other parent.

Lads a link................. https://www.bds.org.uk/index.php/ad...MIrNDXl6yk5wIVCbrtCh3mUQAeEAAYASAAEgKE7_D_BwE

what else do you see in this link regarding red deer and sika hybrids??
There is something in there quite........ well............. mind boggling if it's true??

Mike.......................... I hope this is just plain fascinating to you not derailing your lovely image thread .

stu

Mike I deleted a lot last night fearing I was derailing your thread. Within that link is something ,that "just the possibility of" completely rocked my world last night.

Mate We have 6 species of deer in the UK let's say roamin' around:). Sika, Chinese water deer, and Reeves Muntjac fairly recent additions. Fallow were brought here waaay back all non native.

We have two True natives Roe and Red ............................ even a hint that some folks consider that the mainland Red population might no longer be pure is astounding to me. Mike that's akin to your scottish wild cat turning into a semi domestic, feral what ever moggie.

yeah that's why I,m waffling Mike . Tis amazing what a few toffs and their big ole country piles back in the 18oo's have done for our ecosystem;):(

Back