Silbury Hill

I'm sorry to criticise but there's no sense of scale, it could be 100mm or 1Km high.

I'm sorry to criticise but there's no sense of scale, it could be 100mm or 1Km high.

Certainly a fair point - a figure on the top might help?

The branches are a distraction and exposure later in a date would have provided a better illumination. Green grass would be lovely to see here too, but at least the sky is blue and not thundery grey.

No sense of scale - you can easily tell it's a small little hill rather than a giant. The tufts of grass in the middle ground gives the game up.

Agree re the comments re the branches.

Small is all you can tell. is it 20m? 50m? 100m? Some people might be interested as it looks more like a record and not a fine art shot.

Small is all you can tell. is it 20m? 50m? 100m? Some people might be interested as it looks more like a record and not a fine art shot.

Why, it’s a boring little hill in a boring little place. If you’re that interested, go and climb it.

For instance, in any of my recent posts can you tell exactly how high the mountains are? Does it ultimately matter?

Last edited:
Why, it’s a boring little hill in a boring little place. If you’re that interested, go and climb it.

For instance, in any of my recent posts can you tell exactly how high the mountains are? Does it ultimately matter?
I think it's a matter of degree, a mountain with snow on top is clearly a big mountain, this hill could be any height at all (apart from mountain height), so I think something to illustrate a rough idea would be useful.

The largest prehistoric man made mound in Europe, built layer upon layer over a period of more than 100 years between about 2450BC and 2330BC, it is part of the complex of Megolithic monuments around Avebury

It took more than a hundred years to build at that time yet today it could probably be built in a month with today's machinery.

Thank you all for taking the time to comment.
It's a subject that is very close to my heart
This is one of the most mysterious and striking monuments in Britain and I do agree that it's more a record shot that I should have posted in 'Photos for Pleasure' rather than here, sorry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silbury_Hill

It's 131 feet high with a base circumference of 1640 feet.
I agree it's more a record shot that I should have posted in the 'Photos for Pleasure' forum.

Certainly a fair point - a figure on the top might help?

Noones allowed on the monument to protect the site and its sensitive archaeology.

Green grass would be lovely to see here too, but at least the sky is blue and not thundery grey.

The grass is all shades of green from light meadow through to dark pasture on my (24 inch) monitor.
The first halfway decent sky I've seen, when I've had the time to take a photograph, for ages.

It took more than a hundred years to build at that time yet today it could probably be built in a month with today's machinery.

That's got to be very near to the top of the list of the dumbest comments I've ever seen.

Last edited:
.[/QUOTE].

That's got to be very near to the top of the list of the dumbest comments I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Oh, would you care to enlighten me as to why, it was just a comment as to the time difference it would take to build similar structures then and now.

To be honest, it looks like you went for the exact same shot as the composition on Wikipedia.

Yes, only stopped there for a short break on my way back from a show in Bristol. This view is almost immediately in front of you from the car park and it was the best view at the time with the sun very low and almost directly south. I’m visiting the Avebury area to photograph the monuments for three days at the end of January so hopefully I can improve on this dismal effort.

A terrible picture that my girlfriend took from our plane's window (with her phone) many years ago, but a different perspective for you. :)

Silbury Hill.jpg

A terrible picture that my girlfriend took from our plane's window (with her phone) many years ago, but a different perspective for you. :)

View attachment 140695

Your girlfriend's photograph is not terrible at all but of great interest.
A vertical excavation tunnel that was dug down through the monument in 1776 collapsed in early 2002 following a period of heavy rain.
Was the photograph taken sometime between 11th May 2007 and early 2008 when English Heritage stabilised the monument ?
With your permission I would like to share this photograph with The Megalithic Portal http://www.megalithic.co.uk/

Was the photograph taken sometime between 11th May 2007 and early 2008 when English Heritage stabilised the monument ?
With your permission I would like to share this photograph with The Megalithic Portal http://www.megalithic.co.uk/

It was - the computer's file date is 31st of July 2007, so it would have been taken a day or two before that.

If you think it may be of interest to other enthusiasts, please feel free to use it (thank you for asking). I'm pretty certain that they're working on the stabilisation in the picture - that's what all the 'activity' is. :)

It was - the computer's file date is 31st of July 2007, so it would have been taken a day or two before that.

If you think it may be of interest to other enthusiasts, please feel free to use it (thank you for asking). I'm pretty certain that they're working on the stabilisation in the picture - that's what all the 'activity' is. :)

Excellent, thank you.
I'll let you know what they say.
Merry Christmas from Graeme (Hutson).

Back