Silver Efex Pro 2

Edit My Images
Yes
Is it possible still to get SEP2 as a standalone package rather as part of the Nik suite? Only interested in the b/w processing

Certainly not in any legit form, Nik is now part of Google and they only do the full suite ... great value for money now though :)

Just use LR or PS if you have them - the results needn't be inferior and you'll be in fuller control (which for a photographer is something to aspire to) ...

SEP2 uses set 'profiles', which you can adjust so you do have control but with PS for example, converting to B&W allows control over the conversion of each colour ... however SEP2 can give some results that would not be so easily/quickly obtained in PS :)

SEP2 uses set 'profiles', which you can adjust so you do have control but with PS for example, converting to B&W allows control over the conversion of each colour ... however SEP2 can give some results that would not be so easily/quickly obtained in PS :)

SEP2's profiles are somewhat akin to PS actions. You don't have to use them or you can use them as a starting point.
SEP2 also allows control of each colour via both the colour filter control and the dialog called 'film response' or somesuch. It's not quite as fine grained as the the control you'd get over colours in PS but it's more than adequate for my needs.

Of course just about everything that SEP2 does can be done in PS, though the tonal contrast / structure controls, black and white amplification and tone protection are cumbersome to achieve manually. I find SEP2 very convenient for putting just about all the controls you might want for monochrome conversions in one place - so it's really quite quick to use.

The downside of SEP2 is that it's easy to overcook an image by using it - but that's true of any editor!

Silver Efex is well worth the package price. I dont use all the others but they do come in handy from time to time. I would probably pay the package proce for Silver Efex on its own.

Define, Color Efex, Viveza and Sharpener Pro all very useful plugins as well :)

I have the Nik package and mostly use Silver Efex Pro2 but as above all the other plugins are useful, watch their tutorials they are very good.

Back