Silverstone Classic (Processed)

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hey all,

Here's a small set from the Silverstone Classic, massive thanks to Paul (Fozzy19) for getting me in :)

I'm irritated with myself for not getting involved with the paddock stuff anywhere near as much as I should have, so these are just of some of the on track action.

As the title suggests these have been through the Photoshop machine to try and give a different feel (you don't have to like it)

C&C most welcome... P.S I make no apologies for my horizon lines :) so there!

Best viewed on Flickr for full effect (I will add to these in the next few days probably)

1. GT40 Art
Ford GT40 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. 60s Processing... loved the way these guys drifted through Brooklands
Silverstone Classic 2015 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. Old Skool Porka

4. Pushed the ISO a little

5. A Poster from 1992

6. Not actually a computer game

Thanks for looking... (I'll probably shove a few of the Historic F1's here sooner or later)

In honesty, these aren't quite doing it for me. Where has your usual flair gone?!

Lol oh dear :( I think I am actually suffering some creative drain... I've been considering giving the motorsport a break for a while and trying to learn a bit more photography and come back with a better understanding. That said I didn't think these were too bad, I actually felt quite pleased with #1.

I think I have become a bit disillusioned with motorsport photography and actually questioning whether my stuff is actually any different or indeed better to anyone else's.... LOL and as I think David mentioned, the number of accredited media at this event with P&S not knowing their Ars*holes from their earholes makes me think there's little point investing any hope in quality photography :) Wow I sound quite depressed... off to the landscape photography for a while it is :D

Lol oh dear :( I think I am actually suffering some creative drain... I've been considering giving the motorsport a break for a while and trying to learn a bit more photography and come back with a better understanding. That said I didn't think these were too bad, I actually felt quite pleased with #1.

I think I have become a bit disillusioned with motorsport photography and actually questioning whether my stuff is actually any different or indeed better to anyone else's.... LOL and as I think David mentioned, the number of accredited media at this event with P&S not knowing their Ars*holes from their earholes makes me think there's little point investing any hope in quality photography :) Wow I sound quite depressed... off to the landscape photography for a while it is :D

Sorry, 1 is pick of the bunch but then it looks fairly 'normal'? 4 and 5 do literally nothing for me. It's odd as your standard is normally through the roof, hell I even try to emulate your work in mine, especially from Silverstone as I find it a real tricky place to shoot. There was a lot of 'media' with pretty useless kit, but then the accreditation process was hilariously easy...

I came back from the weekend pretty annoyed too. Think it was the weather and the fact I've not done motorsport in so long I'm a little rusty. You should come and join me on the aviation side of long lenses ;)

Well Jonathan, I for one love seeing your Motorsport photography and this set does not disappoint (as usual). Love the GT40 by the way and a bet it sounded fantastic on full chat.

Your images are inspirational stuff for a novice like myself, so keep them coming.

Sorry, 1 is pick of the bunch but then it looks fairly 'normal'? 4 and 5 do literally nothing for me. It's odd as your standard is normally through the roof, hell I even try to emulate your work in mine, especially from Silverstone as I find it a real tricky place to shoot. There was a lot of 'media' with pretty useless kit, but then the accreditation process was hilariously easy...

I came back from the weekend pretty annoyed too. Think it was the weather and the fact I've not done motorsport in so long I'm a little rusty. You should come and join me on the aviation side of long lenses ;)

Lol I'd like to give the aviation stuff a bash, might head to Eastbourne this year... I've felt quite restricted on focal length since moving to FF, it really is prohibitively expensive to get in close now (hence a few more trips out with only the 70-200 for a different approach), I am concious of the one trick pony tight crop machine I've become.

Reg. the accredited types... I don't mean to sound like a gear snob, I know its the meat bag behind the camera that makes the difference, but the conversations I overheard about how to use a camera in anything other than auto were really depressing (Some of them had high level equipment too). It's not just this event either... there are so many really great photographers out there and in here that don't get a chance to show what they can do because the spots are taken by average know nothings on a Jolly (Stressing that I don't believe I am any more deserving than the next person). The industry must be getting nsaturated with crap that must be hammering the decent pros out there.

Well Jonathan, I for one love seeing your Motorsport photography and this set does not disappoint (as usual). Love the GT40 by the way and a bet it sounded fantastic on full chat.

Your images are inspirational stuff for a novice like myself, so keep them coming.

That's really nice to hear :) thank you... sorry to sound like Eeyore :D Just going through a period of creative block I hope :)

I like number 2, but 5 and 6 are a little dark... as for creative block, I suggest a trip to a different circuit if you can, that might help.

I was there on Saturday as well (I may post some of mine up at some point), but I really do love every single one of these! I found it quite difficult to shoot compared to other tracks due to the high safety fences and limited clear shots aside from in the stands, but I think all bar the last one are fantastic. And for the last one, I appreciate how the light was disappearing, making for challenging conditions by the end. Well done :)

1 & 2 are my favs. There were some awesome cars there, we were in the Brooklands suite on the Saturday and watching them drift around was great. Sadly I only had my phone on the day, so no pics worth posting.

Any guesses as to how much money was sitting in the Ferrari stand :D

I like number 2, but 5 and 6 are a little dark... as for creative block, I suggest a trip to a different circuit if you can, that might help.

I was there on Saturday as well (I may post some of mine up at some point), but I really do love every single one of these! I found it quite difficult to shoot compared to other tracks due to the high safety fences and limited clear shots aside from in the stands, but I think all bar the last one are fantastic. And for the last one, I appreciate how the light was disappearing, making for challenging conditions by the end. Well done :)

1 & 2 are my favs. There were some awesome cars there, we were in the Brooklands suite on the Saturday and watching them drift around was great. Sadly I only had my phone on the day, so no pics worth posting.

Any guesses as to how much money was sitting in the Ferrari stand :D

Loving the old school Porka!

Great set of images like the E type especially :)

For me the GT40 is the pick of the bunch.

Thanks all for your comments, not my best set it's true :) still much to learn :D

Bucking the trend a little it seems but I really enjoyed looking at these, in terms of shooting from public positions at Silverstone I rarely see anyone with the technique (or stamina!) to achieve this level of photography consistently.

In terms of creativity I would probably rock up with just the 70-200 (no TC) and experiment, I find shorter focal lengths help you think about things a little more creatively as it's pretty easy to get lulled into sharp fairly standard shots with long glass.

With regards to the accredited side of things, I went through a similar phase (despite ironically having absolutely no interest of being trackside myself) of being utterly frustrated with seeing guys stood with kit lenses on full auto (the standard of kit doesn't bother me, I'm sure I get funny looks shooting with what I do at events!) with clearly no idea what they're doing. You've just got to remember that they're apparently there to do a job, and that job isn't necessarily to be creative or do anything other than get a few record shots, then you've got to forget about it!

Well I certainly enjoyed viewing them, thanks for posting.

Thanks very much :)

Bucking the trend a little it seems but I really enjoyed looking at these, in terms of shooting from public positions at Silverstone I rarely see anyone with the technique (or stamina!) to achieve this level of photography consistently.

In terms of creativity I would probably rock up with just the 70-200 (no TC) and experiment, I find shorter focal lengths help you think about things a little more creatively as it's pretty easy to get lulled into sharp fairly standard shots with long glass.

With regards to the accredited side of things, I went through a similar phase (despite ironically having absolutely no interest of being trackside myself) of being utterly frustrated with seeing guys stood with kit lenses on full auto (the standard of kit doesn't bother me, I'm sure I get funny looks shooting with what I do at events!) with clearly no idea what they're doing. You've just got to remember that they're apparently there to do a job, and that job isn't necessarily to be creative or do anything other than get a few record shots, then you've got to forget about it!

Thanks for the alternative feedback Chris, means a lot to me that you like what I'm doing :) think you've been here as long as I can remember :) I've restricted myself to just the 70-200 a couple of times and you are right, I like the varied opportunities it's just harder to work with the fence when it's bright :-/ I will make a conscious effort to mix it up with lens choices to try and Stoke the passion for this lark :)

Yep, different strokes for different folks...

Not much wrong with these and 5 is a great capture.

GT40 is a stunner (y)l

Thanks both, appreciate the feedback :)

Not that I am an expert but I like what you have done in post to all of the photos. I like #5 in the dark with lights on effect.
The actual photos are also very good I don't even bother taking a camera to Silverstone due to the fences so good to see these.

They are all technically accomplished, and I am a big fan of your work. It is certainly streets ahead of a lot of motorsport work I see from the UK (accredited or not)
The problem - if you can call it that, which I have, is that I can't tell where you're shooting. You've got a fantastic style, and I'd like to see you exploit it across motorsport in a wider way.
Your shots, are the sort of standard I aspire to, but a lot of them are more 'racing car' shots, than motorsport shots. I dont know of many that can get better shots than you from spectator side, but your sets are crying out for some variety imo.
I've not shot at Silverstone, but I understand its a difficult place to shoot, but I've just been looking at the Sports Car Digest feed from the event, which shots a whole variety of different angles and compositions.
I reckon you would execute a better shot in each and every one of those circumstances, and have the technical ability to become outstanding, but I'd say that you need to add a wider variety of shots to showcase an event.
I'm probably way off the mark, but just my thoughts. I think you've got massive potential, and I'd love to see you spread your style over a much wider range than just 'one car round a corner' style shots.

They are all technically accomplished, and I am a big fan of your work. It is certainly streets ahead of a lot of motorsport work I see from the UK (accredited or not)
The problem - if you can call it that, which I have, is that I can't tell where you're shooting. You've got a fantastic style, and I'd like to see you exploit it across motorsport in a wider way.
Your shots, are the sort of standard I aspire to, but a lot of them are more 'racing car' shots, than motorsport shots. I dont know of many that can get better shots than you from spectator side, but your sets are crying out for some variety imo.
I've not shot at Silverstone, but I understand its a difficult place to shoot, but I've just been looking at the Sports Car Digest feed from the event, which shots a whole variety of different angles and compositions.
I reckon you would execute a better shot in each and every one of those circumstances, and have the technical ability to become outstanding, but I'd say that you need to add a wider variety of shots to showcase an event.
I'm probably way off the mark, but just my thoughts. I think you've got massive potential, and I'd love to see you spread your style over a much wider range than just 'one car round a corner' style shots.

LOL I think you've said as much before... I agree :) I want to mix it up, when I do I feel disappointed with the results... be assured when I get stuff I'm happy with you will see the results (I'm trying :) :) in the background)

Back