Silverstone F1 Grand Prix - my attempts at capturing motion

Name
Gobind
Edit My Images
Yes
Not posted any pics for a while as just haven't been using my camera much
default_sad.png
but I got to go to the Silverstone F1 1st round Qualifiers and its simply an awesome event!

I've never really been able to take pics of moving objects (I'm so envious of the images I see here, you guys are awesome!!!) let alone the crazy F1 cars and I really wanted to try and capture the feeling of movement so of the almost 1,000 pics I took here are some of my faves (the 3rd last one is my personal fave):

Ferrari Leclerc 16 front by Gobind Rai, on Flickr

Mercedes Lewis Hamilton 44 by Gobind Rai, on Flickr
Red Bull Pierre Gasly by Gobind Rai, on Flickr
Racing Point Lance Stroll 18 by Gobind Rai, on Flickr
Red Bull Alexander Albon 23 by Gobind Rai, on Flickr
Mercedes Lewis 18 by Gobind Rai, on Flickr
Ferrari Charles Leclerc 18 by Gobind Rai, on Flickr

Last edited:
They look really amateur but No 4 and 6 look cool but still 1000 times better than I could do so keep doing it :)

Better than I could do.
I think you need a slower shutter speed to blur the background more.

Probably better than I could shoot, but I'd look at the backgrounds where you can, and also make sure the car is in focus. My preference is to have space in front of the car to drive in to. I'm jealous you are there though! :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it’s genuinely appreciated

Being honest I never really thought about the background until later in the day as up to that point I was struggling to get the shots in focus, it was only when we sat down at Becketts that I was able to think about it.

I kept trying to slow the shutter speed down but getting the car in focus was so hard, I could easily try and blame my XE2 and then try to justify an upgrade but when you think about to all those cool pics when people just used film and not digital they got the panning technique spot on so really it’s just me being rubbish!

I now have an excuse to attend more sports events LOL

If you can go I’d thoroughly recommend it.

I used to go old school, switch to manual focus, then focus on a part of the track and take the image when the car gets there. It's worth pushing your exposure a little too to get more detail in the cars, yours are a little dark.
Then I got the 5D mk3, set the focal point lower in the screen and used the constant tracking focus

I used to go old school, switch to manual focus, then focus on a part of the track and take the image when the car gets there. It's worth pushing your exposure a little too to get more detail in the cars, yours are a little dark.
Then I got the 5D mk3, set the focal point lower in the screen and used the constant tracking focus
I never thought about that with the manual focus - next time

Back