Silverstone GT Open (Saturday)and support races

Name
Ade
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
A couple of nice efforts I think. What lens do you use?

Some would say for the pit straights to try around 1/50-1-100th shutter to fully blur backgrounds, grid markers. If you try that don’t expect the whole car to be sharp unless directly in front of you.

A couple of nice efforts I think. What lens do you use?

Some would say for the pit straights to try around 1/50-1-100th shutter to fully blur backgrounds, grid markers. If you try that don’t expect the whole car to be sharp unless directly in front of you.

I use a Canon 100-400L MKII on a 7DKMKII and I did try going down too below 1/100 but nothing was in focus!!:ROFLMAO:. Need to get out and practice my panning technique a bit more I think

The 100-400 is a very capable lens, and that last shot is a fine example of what I was talking about well done.

Free hand or monopod?

Although I have just found this one I took at 1/60

4U9A6334 by ADE TANDY, on Flickr

Nice example indeed. But top ones are just as good.

I think you can do this blur in photoshop too. It's a bit involving but then you can at least shoot comfortably at 1/1000 and also have that. Just another option.

The 100-400 is a very capable lens, and that last shot is a fine example of what I was talking about well done.

Free hand or monopod?
Free hand some how!!!!

I think you can do this blur in photoshop too. It's a bit involving but then you can at least shoot comfortably at 1/1000 and also have that. Just another option.

More challenging to try and get it in camera I feel, plus if I don't do well at a race it gives me an excuse to back and shoot another!!!

I hand hold my 400mm F4 I have no idea how people use standard monopods.

I do use a monopod with gimbal head in bird hides and took it this weekend as practice ready for a 300mm f2.8. Which is Too heavy to hand hold I think. Seems to work quite well.

I feel the same with a normal tripod. But 5kg + gets a tad heavy after a full day. Found the gimbal took the weight but still had free movement.

A good gimbal style head isn’t cheap but I get plenty of use out of mine. So become a good buy for buy. A lot of people when I got it questioned about using it on a monopod and not a tripod like most, but I think it works just as well.

Mines a manfrotto type.

No! Panning a car at 1/100-1/200 on a straight is relatively easy to do, shooting it at 1/1000 and shopping it is just plain lazy and shows a lack of understanding what’s involved to do it well. The amount of work you have to do to mask the car’s windows, brake callipers and discs etc often looks crap when you could have just done it in camera much better.

I’m all for photoshop when you do it with a creative goal, but a side on pan of a car is a very basic skill that just takes some practice.

Love the light/processing on that McLaren shot (y)

I never used to use a monopod as I found it too restrictive but I'm using one more and more now. Works better for longer stuff though, I still wouldn't use one for say standing in a pit straight grandstand where I'm having to rotate through 120degrees pretty quickly to track a car going past me.

Back